Corsair Community

Using 3xML120 and 3xML120 Pro RGB for radiator push/pull

mrpetrov

Given these fans are listed as having both different top rpm and CFM, what’s the best way to ensure they both push/pull air through my H150i radiator at the same rate of flow? Would it be best to use a 3-way splitter and treat each “pair” as a single fan - or, because of their different structures, would they push/pull at different CFM even if running at the the same RPM?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Two separate sides (2 x 3 way splitters) would probably be my approach. You don't need the two fans sets to have identical speeds, but a large disparity one way or the other tends to produce buffeting and noise and one fan becomes a restriction to the other. I have not tried to run two different max speed fans through the PRO cooler controllers. This is easy through the C-Pro (see below), but I don't know for sure if will keep all fans at 900 rpm or whether it is really trying to calculate percentages.

With most control systems, you likely would need two 3-way splitters. However, if you have 3 Commander Pro fan headers to spare, you put one side individually on the C-Pro with the H150i taking the other three (doesn't matter which). Since you have fine granular control through iCUE, you don't have to worry about trying to match percentages. You can simply tell both sets to run 750 rpm @ 30C coolant temp, etc.

*Don't use a three way splitter on any one single Commander Pro fan port. It usually ends with a negative consequence.

Two separate sides (2 x 3 way splitters) would probably be my approach. You don't need the two fans sets to have identical speeds, but a large disparity one way or the other tends to produce buffeting and noise and one fan becomes a restriction to the other. I have not tried to run two different max speed fans through the PRO cooler controllers. This is easy through the C-Pro (see below), but I don't know for sure if will keep all fans at 900 rpm or whether it is really trying to calculate percentages.

With most control systems, you likely would need two 3-way splitters. However, if you have 3 Commander Pro fan headers to spare, you put one side individually on the C-Pro with the H150i taking the other three (doesn't matter which). Since you have fine granular control through iCUE, you don't have to worry about trying to match percentages. You can simply tell both sets to run 750 rpm @ 30C coolant temp, etc.

*Don't use a three way splitter on any one single Commander Pro fan port. It usually ends with a negative consequence.

Thanks - actually what you describe with CoPro is how I have it setup in my 500D RGB case - essentially the 6 radiator fans (ie the 3x120ML and the 3x120ML PRO RGBs) are all running off the same RPM fan curve (ie not %). I was still worried that even though they were all running at precisely the same RPM, they wouldn't be moving the same volume of air given the slight differences in how the MLs are made vs the ML RGB PRO's.

While the specs at maximum RPM are going to be different, the blade is exactly the same on each and so both sets should be identical at identical RPMs. Either way, you have a 360mm radiator with plenty of airflow. You won't need to fiddle with this very much. I always had a preference for a slight speed bias for the push side set of fans. That was more about altering the sound than anything else, but you should be able to keep your low enough there really isn't a sound to manipulate.

Archived