Corsair Community

Unable To Update Corsair Force 3 240Gb

damien c

I have downloaded the Corsair Update Tool and the Sandforce Update Tool but I cannot update the firmware on my ssd.

Currently I have lost over 50% of the performance on my ssd for no reason at all, so I want to update the firmware to see if it will bring the performance back.

I am on the X79 platform and I have seen people saying that this platform is not supported, and then I have seen a thread where Yellowbeard says it is supported.

My ssd is currently on Firmware 5.03, and I have manually downloaded the 5.05a firmware but I cannot see how I can manually update the firmware, as the tool keeps trying to update to 5.06.

The ssd is plugged in to the Intel sata ports on the motherboard and is in AHCI mode.

I am running Windows 8.1, and I have tried the update tool in Administrator mode and Windows 7 compat mode and nothing works, it just constantly says that the update failed.

I have seen threads saying to take the ssd out of the pc running a x79 cpu and put it in another, pc but what are those people supposed to do if they don't have access to another pc?

Some help would greatly be appreciated as I am sick of this low performance I currently have, which is rather annoying when mechanical hard drives are loading games faster than my ssd.

**Edit**

Just tried with windows in safe mode and still won't update.

Cheer's

The old firmware updater (fieldupdater) doesn't support X79 chipsets. The tool was needed to update SSDs from 1.3.X to 5.0.X, which was why another computer was needed as the SSD toolbox doesn't support it. Once the SSD is on 5.0.X, you can use the toolbox to update the firmware.

If you have tried Yellowbeard's suggestion and it still doesn't work,

Uninstall the Intel Chipset drivers and let Windows install the MSAHCI driver , then try a firmware update.

Well I ended up taking the SSD in to work and speaking to the IT department to see if I can update it using a work, pc but it said that it failed but it is now showing that it worked so it's on 5.05.

The performance though is still really poor.

Tried a full secure wipe and reinstall of windows, it still won't reach above 250MB read speeds in HDTune or Crystalmark.

Thanks for the help but I think it's time for a new SSD, and let my grandad have this one for his pc to help his games load faster.

Are you on a red port or a black port?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#specifications

Your speeds make it seem as if you are on a black port. The 2 red ports are the only SATA 3/6Gb ports. The black ports are SATA 2/3Gb ports and will cap at about 250 or so like you are showing.

Post the ATTO screenshot when you get it.

Archived