Corsair Community

CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 B-die?

Lucidascarpe

Wait for a Corsair rep to get back to you I know the slower 2666 memory can have different dies on them. A friend and I have the same PN RAM, with different "versions". He has 3.31, which is Micron. I have 5.30, which is Hynx. The faster the RAM the better chance it will be B-die. Granted crappy b-die can be binned lower. In any case isn't the issues of AMD being picky with RAM resolved in x470? You have a good MB, so 3200 shouldn't be an issue. IMHO I think the 3200 CL14 that they sell will havr a better chance of being than the CL16 B-Die. Most higher clock RAM is B-Die from the QVC I read for my GB z370 Gaming 7, though this conclusion could be a suvivor bias for all I know.

Thanks for the answers! So there's a sort of silicon lottery on these ram too..

Now I do not know what to do.. :laughing:

Yes, there is the memory ICs/chipa are all manufactured by micron, samsung, or hynix. All companies like Corsair, Kingston, and Gskill buy the same chips and mount them on the PCBs with other SMD componets. The speeds and latencies you see are binned and should be easily be set by XMP profiles, at least on Intel. Granted chipset, MB, and CPU can impact this. I know there can be some board limitations reaching higher speeds like 4000mhz. Though at 3200mhz your board should be fine. I would check the QVC for your x470 as those have been checked out. I also heard that memory is easier to OC in the 2nd gen ryzen MB and CPUs. Though I would check more into it if I was you.

You can still get some more OC by going beyond XMP. The XMP doesn't use additional voltage and this can be leverage to push the OC on the memory. I am a bit of a noob myself to this and I am doing some research about leveraging the voltage to get better clocks. Though google is flooded with AMD OC'ing as their appeared issues with it. For intel it seems more so just set it and forget it.

Lastly I know XMP profiles is more of an intel tech/spec. So someone with more AMD experience could give more details.

Archived