Corsair Community

CPU running at full turbo clock speeds

ph3nak

• 2 weeks later...

OK well i figured it out.. it will only allow the speed-step to activate and run speedstep like it should when either i completely close icue or i have the power mode set to balanced. idk why but power saver, high performance and ultimate performance stay at max turbo frequencies.

Is the software only set for the balanced power profile?

• 3 weeks later...
Check your windows power management to see what % it is set to for CPU utilization. iCUE does use CPU power when its running and Speedstep will not trigger if the % is above a certain range.

James I have this issue as well.. Brand new machine with 8700k and Hero XI motherboard, corsair service sucking down 12-20% cpu and causing my processor to lock at my frequency, as soon as I close Icue the issue goes away

I'm on balanced plan with processor 0-100% tried setting it to 20-100 Does not help. Can we get some help here?

There is a difference between "high CPU usage" (like the 12-20% you are experiencing) and the keeping the CPU multiplier pegged at its maximum. Because your CPU actually is loaded, the multiplier is staying high as it should. The original poster is complaining of a high multiplier when there is no load and it should drop down in accordance with BIOS EIST/Speedstep and power plan parameters.

There is quite a bit of discussion regarding the CPU usage you are describing. It is not universal by any means and I am running the same CPU and platform with 1-4% total service and app usage on a keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, fan controller, 5 RGB fans, 4 strips, and a cooler. Most of the time one device seems to be guilty of triggering the behavior. The RGB memory seems to be the most problematic, but other devices as well. List any iCUE devices you have installed, from keyboard and mouse to headphone stands and RAM.

I would suggest repairing or reinstalling iCUE. Make sure you are using a recent version like 3.6-3.8. Some of the older ones were more prone to this kind of thing. Also, don't mess with your power plan min/max CPU usage setting unless you know what you are doing. The 8700K is a very active with minimal tasks by design. It is rather difficult to prevent the moderate response for low level tasks, but the power consumption is quite low. Obviously 12-20% CPU usage is not low and that needs to stop.

There is a difference between "high CPU usage" (like the 12-20% you are experiencing) and the keeping the CPU multiplier pegged at its maximum. Because your CPU actually is loaded, the multiplier is staying high as it should. The original poster is complaining of a high multiplier when there is no load and it should drop down in accordance with BIOS EIST/Speedstep and power plan parameters.

There is quite a bit of discussion regarding the CPU usage you are describing. It is not universal by any means and I am running the same CPU and platform with 1-4% total service and app usage on a keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, fan controller, 5 RGB fans, 4 strips, and a cooler. Most of the time one device seems to be guilty of triggering the behavior. The RGB memory seems to be the most problematic, but other devices as well. List any iCUE devices you have installed, from keyboard and mouse to headphone stands and RAM.

I would suggest repairing or reinstalling iCUE. Make sure you are using a recent version like 3.6-3.8. Some of the older ones were more prone to this kind of thing. Also, don't mess with your power plan min/max CPU usage setting unless you know what you are doing. The 8700K is a very active with minimal tasks by design. It is rather difficult to prevent the moderate response for low level tasks, but the power consumption is quite low. Obviously 12-20% CPU usage is not low and that needs to stop.

This is a brand new up to date install of windows 10 pro,

I have:

K70 LUX

9X LL120, 6 on command pro and 3 on h150i

H150i Pro

4x8 GB Vengeance Pro RGB

Commander Pro

2x RGB controller

1x Lightning node Pro

4x corsair rgb strips

HX 1200i

Asus Hero XI z390

Asus strix 1080ti OC edition.

iCue is the current version as of writing this: 3.8.91

and yes it is keeping my multiplier pegged at max

Edited by karma123

Try turning of the software control of the RAM first. See this thread. The RGB RAM seems to be the most popular culprit. Also keep an eye on Aura if you have it installed. Earlier on, it and iCUE would cross swords and one of the other would lock in at 10-20%. These days it seems like Aura is the one getting stuck, but that is by no means written in stone. Aside from the RAM, I don't see anything on that list that is different from the rest of us.

Try turning of the software control of the RAM first. See this thread. The RGB RAM seems to be the most popular culprit. Also keep an eye on Aura if you have it installed. Earlier on, it and iCUE would cross swords and one of the other would lock in at 10-20%. These days it seems like Aura is the one getting stuck, but that is by no means written in stone. Aside from the RAM, I don't see anything on that list that is different from the rest of us.

Aura isn't running, even when disabling every other service from asus, corsair link.service is usually about 14% cpu usage.....

I'll see if turning the ram off helps.

edit:

disabling full software control on the ram seems to have done the trick, down to about 1-2.5% cpu usage now.

what does this actually do, having it disabled?

Edited by karma123

• 10 months later...