Corsair Community

Dominator Platinum Mini Commander and Corsair Link

SimonC

Hi Everyone

And please don't scream at me for starting a new thread. I have read lots of threads on this, but none of them quite answers my question.

I have:

4 x 8GB Dominator Platinum RAM

AX1200i PSU

H110i-GT Liquid Cooler

EVGA Titan X GPU

2 x NZXT IU01 USB Expansion Card

I've just upgraded from CL3 to CL4 and am still struggling to get everything properly visible in CL, the missing items being the DIMMs and their temperatures. My RAM kit came with Airflow Platinum fans and I'm successfully controlling the fan LED with the LED cable connected to the LED port on the Commander. The fan cable is also connected to the Commander and I can see the fan speed OK.

But the RAM itself does not show up as a device and thus there is no display of the DIMM temperature.

I've attached screenshots of the HOME and CONFIGURE screens from CL.

I believe that I need to connect the DIMMs to the Commander and no cables were supplied for that. I'm happy to buy the relevant cables if necessary, but still not quite sure which ones they are, how many I need and whether they will fit with the Airflow Platinum in place.

I've also seen that you need to use an Airflow Pro. This seems to need Airflow 2 fans. If that is right, then this seems to suggest I'll need to jetison the Airflow Platinum and buy Airflow 2 fans plus an Airflow Pro module.

So, I'm now a bit confused. Anyone willing and able to clarify things for me?

Home.thumb.PNG.bdf7486c074a33168c548f72be0cfc85.PNG

Configure.thumb.PNG.02426ed6ccee6a816734d5760e3add29.PNG

But the RAM itself does not show up as a device and thus there is no display of the DIMM temperature.

I believe that I need to connect the DIMMs to the Commander and no cables were supplied for that. I'm happy to buy the relevant cables if necessary, but still not quite sure which ones they are, how many I need and whether they will fit with the Airflow Platinum in place.

My DIMMs show up in CL4 and they are not connected to a CL Mini. AFAIK CL4 reads the DIMM SPD data and if this reports MTS (Module Thermal Sensor) support it then reads the temperature directly from the DIMMs.

If you ran my SIV utility and posted the Initial Screen + Menu->Hardware->SPD Summary +Menu->Hardware->SPD Thermal I could probably comment further.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26069&stc=1&d=1470046665

attachment.php?attachmentid=24216&stc=1&d=1454693534

264474185_SIVSPDData.thumb.png.fa76d8320e1e95043a86acb935d497f6.png

1172315887_SIVSPDThermal.thumb.png.ce0d8c2ea9e6ece38afbbdecd9cfc81e.png

1764202389_SIVSPDSummary.thumb.png.2e8f11620b3a4f3f1494ede6ca4ec9c6.png

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

I'm ashamed to say that I only discovered SIV earlier today (whilst browsing this forum) so I'm still getting to grips with its awesome capabilities. What am AMAZING utility! I hope I've captured what you need. If not, I'm happy to try again.

SIV.thumb.png.d0e0a76c3e1236ff2aea79763520410a.png

I'm still getting to grips with its awesome capabilities.

Thank you for the screen shots that tell me exactly what I need to know.

The issue is that the Corsair DIMM SPD fails to correctly report MTS, so CL4 may think the DIMMs don't report a temperature. I wonder if Corsair have tested CL4 with Corsair DIMMs :eek:.

This is not the first time I have seen MTS not being set when it should be and it's quite easy to deal with. I expect I can get SIV 5.07 to report your DIMM temperatures within the next 30 minutes. Would you like to test a Beta that does? Once we prove it's possible then we can ask Corsair to fix CL4.

Very interesting.

Cleary the DIMMs do report temperature (somehow) as HWInfo can display these.

But I'm more than happy to test your beta.

I'm not very hopeful about Corsair fixing anything, though.

Looks like I should have bought any memory other than Corsair's to best guarantee inter-operability with CL!!!

2015994230_HWInfo.PNG.c1db5b58cbd46ae8e313c8c999d0d5dd.PNG

Cleary the DIMMs do report temperature (somehow) as HWInfo can display these.

I suspect Martin added code to HWiNFO to check for an ID of 0x104A just like I have done.

Do Menu->File->Download->SIV Beta to get Beta-30 or later, extract the files, exit 5.06, run 5.07 and post the initial screen. If the DIMMs have temperatures press one of the blobs and post that screen.

I was just thinking ...

Brilliant that CL4 is capable of running using a standard user account.

I always run as Standard and elevate only when necessary.

So, just for the fun of it, I ran CL4 with elevated credentials and the RAM shows up.

It's not pretty (you'd have thought they would have included a bit more description, especially as the RAM is theirs) but at least it is reported. Shame it is invisible while running as a standard user. I wonder if that could be fixed?

65512910_Home(ADMINView).thumb.PNG.751cb9a7f3f05da3b122413d8a88d616.PNG

So, just for the fun of it, I ran CL4 with elevated credentials and the RAM shows up.

Good thinking though I feel it's strange that it made a difference. I had assumed that the DIMM data was read via the service, but maybe not.

I think your DIMMs are DDR4-3000 but CL4 reports them as DDR4-2133. In terms of more information SIV uses a Tool Tip, hover the mouse over DIMMs and it will popup. Should CL4 have similar?

I am pleased to see SIV now works and I am wondering what to do about CL4. Report it as an issue and maybe Corsair will fix it, though I suspect it may take slightly longer than it took me to fix SIV :roll:.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24221&d=1454700121

I have just read this an concluded Corsair Support need additional training as what has been said is incorrect.

You are quite right, in every respect!

My DIMMs are DDR4-3000.

I think CL4 should show them as such, without a tooltip.

Unless it is reported Corsair can't be expected to fix it but I guarantee that it will take longer than you did to 'fix' SIV, if indeed Corsair even bothers to look at it.

I wonder how best to report it ...

My DIMMs are DDR4-3000. I think CL4 should show them as such.

• CL4 incorrectly reports my BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG PC3-14900 DIMMs as PC3-10700.
  • Having the Crucial Technology heading eight times is pointless. It should only be there once or when it changes as is the case on my Dell 490. On my HP DL580 G5 it has 4 x Micron Technology PC2-5300 headings and fails to mention Samsung and Hyundai at all. Having thought about this I feel CL4 should just have a heading of PCn-nnnn and default names of Temp 1 to Temp nnn as if a user wishes to get maker information they would do better to use a program designed to provide this. The cute option would be to have a Tool Tip similar to the one I have in SIV.

I get the same incorrect information for my DIMMs and have posted this already along with a few other observations. I feel Corsair would be wise to take note of what I observed.

With luck they will read and understand this thread and take on board what you have said.

Well, let's hope we get lucky then!

As CL is a Corsair offering I feel it should display its own RAM (at least) in a more accurate and detailed way. I agree that repetition is pointless. One heading with manufacturer and SKU (or somesuch) with the n tempertaures underneath would do it for me.

Anyone from Corsair up for this?

Just a quick update, following much work offline with the help of SIV and its author.

Sadly, the brief appearance of my RAM on the CL4 Home Screen (no matter how uninspiring I may have found the presentation) appears to have been a blip. So, it is probably irrelevant whether CL4 is run under standard or administrative credentials.

I'm assuming that everyone else that has Dominator RAM sees it in CL3/4 and that I'm just unlucky?

I've also tried turning off XMP, but that had no effect on the visibility of my RAM. SIV can see the RAM so I know it's there (well, actually if it wasn't then I wouldn't be able to see anything, would I?) and can report the temperatures of the DIMMs. So, I still reckon CL4 needs a bit more work.

It would be interesting to know what others with Dominator RAM can (or cannot) see in CL3/4.

Here is mine of my Corsair Dominator Platinum memory sticks.

Thank you for posting the screen shots.

I currently expect that CMD32GX4M4A2400C14s need to have an AirFlow Pro to get an average DIMM temperature and for the CMD32GX4M4B3000C15 each DIMM reports its temperature via the PCH SMBus or an IMC SMBus.

I also feel the CMD32GX4M4B3000C15 SPD data should be corrected to report the MTS (Module Thermal Sensor) as being present. All the serial numbers being zero is also not ideal.

PCH SMBus attachment.php?attachmentid=24254&stc=1&d=1454892769

IMC SMBus attachment.php?attachmentid=24256&stc=1&d=1454893140

1327186639_ModuleThermalSensor.png.5f52abfbccb2eebdb82c586ce55d7672.png

849292932_ModuleThermalSensorReported.thumb.png.564227366845a2fcb152c5ddd8be151f.png

The question was (intended to be) - do your DIMMs show up in Corsair-Link?

One suggestion for CL4 is to add support for the Airflow Pro LED Display so it can display the temperatures of the RAM sticks too.

They won't as CL 4.2.0.162 does not support the AirFlow Pro.

As you can see from the SIV screen shot he posted the CMD32GX4M4A2400C14s do not report MTS via the SMBus, unlike your DIMMs, as [sPD Thermal] does not report them.

red-ray: The -A version do have MTS chips (module temperature sensors), since they are reported through Airflow Pro.

Its just that they aren't exposed at all via the DIMM interface.

Where did I specify they didn't, was I was being imprecise with my wording? I suspect I said/meant they do not report MTS via the SMBus and if I didn't I will fix the post.

The -A may or may not have MTS chips. They don't report the temperature information via the SMBus as the -B do but rather use the rather obscure reporting via the AirFlow Pro. I suspect Corsair realised that reporting via the SMBus is far more sensible and addressed this with the -B.

I have also noticed that your AirFlow Pro reports exactly the same temperature for all 6 DIMMs when you only have 4! This makes me wonder if the thermal sensor is even part of the DIMMs. Below all the 1C values are the temperature of 30°C. I suspect this is why CL3 reports an "Average" temperature as there are no per DIMM temperatures.

You need specify which SPD ("MTS") chips the -A have if you are going to state they have them as they may not actually be MTS capable chips that are fully compliant with JEDEC TSE2004B2 specifications. The -B have ST Micro STTS2004 which do both SPD and temperature reporting.

I am unclear what you mean by "DIMM interface". Google came up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_Buffered_DIMM, but you can't mean that as these are not FB-DIMMs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24273&stc=1&d=1455014938

1498625699_AifFlowProDump.thumb.png.a4bf6d23fda574d6152d9f9f40287a33.png

The situation is even more confused :confused:. It seems that some CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 report an MTS temperature via the SMBus and some don't :eek:.

I suspect this could lead to some rather confused CL4 users :bigeyes:.

Below you can see all 4 x CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 report the same SPD data, but only one reports the MTS temperature via the SMBus :nodding:. They were bought as a matched set of 4 :o:.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24280&stc=1&d=1455065782

attachment.php?attachmentid=24281&stc=1&d=1455065802

attachment.php?attachmentid=24282&stc=1&d=1455065820

red-ray: Its the Airflow Pro who averages the temperatures together, propably because the Airflow Pro is made to support up to 6 sticks, and the interface between Airflow Pro and Commander Mini, can maximum handle up to 4 "probes".

However, the Airflow Pro LED's do show same color (purple at bootup, and green after computer has been on for a while) for all sticks during IDLE.

If I put on a heavy game that does some crunching only on first RAM stick and nowhere else, I can see the LED for stick 1 getting more yellowish, while the other 3 leds still are green.

This is evident that the RAM sticks itself do contain some temperature probe of some sort.

Note that Corsair Link do ONLY report the average temperature for all sticks connected to Airflow Pro, so its not possible to get the indivual temps from Airflow Pro, simply, the hardware aren't supporting it.

red-ray: Its the Airflow Pro who averages the temperatures together

This is incorrect as it's the code on CL3 that does this. SIV has similar code.

Note that Corsair Link do ONLY report the average temperature for all sticks connected to Airflow Pro, so its not possible to get the indivual temps from Airflow Pro, simply, the hardware aren't supporting it.

This is also incorrect. The Airflow Pro reports 6 x DIMM temperatures that are always identical.

I have also noticed that your AirFlow Pro reports exactly the same temperature for all 6 DIMMs when you only have 4! This makes me wonder if the thermal sensor is even part of the DIMMs. Below all the 1C values are the temperature of 30°C. I suspect this is why CL3 reports an "Average" temperature as there are no per DIMM temperatures.

Please reply to my posts. What you have stated is either incorrect or information I have known for a long time. If I did not know this I would not have been able to add AirFlow Pro temperature reporting to SIV.

Archived