Corsair Community

HS1 Crackling/popping noise

soj

Hi,

My ca-hs1 is making random crackling/popping noises. I have tried on three different computers but it's only happening on my main desktop computer.

I have tried a lot of different things to fix this but I'm running out of ideas.

- Switched through several usb-ports.

- Formated computer but the crackling noise is still there on a freshly installed windows.

- Updated every driver I could find.

- Removed dust inside the computer.

- Pulled out every other usb device so that the headset is the only usb device plugged into the computer.

- disabled other sound devices.

- disabled other usb ports.

I am running a Windows 7 64-bit OS.

The other computers I tested on were laptops using Windows vista 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

DxDiag.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

The only other thing that I can think of that would make any sense is a grounding issue with the system. If the headset works without any problems in two other systems then the headset itself is likely functioning properly, and you have done pretty much everything you can do to rule out any issues with other drivers or USB devices that could b e effecting the headset. Do you have any other USB headset available (maybe borrow one from a friend) to see if you can duplicate the same issues on your system?

If all else fails we can definitely try replacing the headset for you, but other than a grounding problem, I can't imagine what the problem could be.

Request an RMA

I had the same issue.

I found that my problem is a setting in the motherbord, I know that you have a different one but you can try (I have an asus p6t):

I've changed (in the bios) the usb 2.0 bus speed from 480mbps (HiSpeed) to 12mbps (fullSpeed).

I continue to have all the 480mbps (at least under windows) but I don't have anymore that audio problems.

I had the same issue.

I found that my problem is a setting in the motherbord, I know that you have a different one but you can try (I have an asus p6t):

I've changed (in the bios) the usb 2.0 bus speed from 480mbps (HiSpeed) to 12mbps (fullSpeed).

I continue to have all the 480mbps (at least under windows) but I don't have anymore that audio problems.

Interesting. Note that the BIOS settings would supercede Windows, so your USB 2.0 ports are only running at USB 1.0 speeds. Windows is just detecting the type of port and not the actual speed.

Interesting. Note that the BIOS settings would supercede Windows, so your USB 2.0 ports are only running at USB 1.0 speeds. Windows is just detecting the type of port and not the actual speed.

I've tested with USB hdd and it transfer at about 33MB/s that is 264mbps, much faster than usb1.0.

However i have 3 options in bios, usb 1.0 usb 2.0 12mbps and usb 2.0 480mbps.

I've choose the second.

Thank you for the suggestion, I went in to BIOS trying to find that setting I found something called Azalia Codec. I disabled it and now it's working perfect :D

It is your motherboard integrated audio.

I am glad that you solved, but, if you don't have other sound card, now you can't use external speakears

After few days without problems I had again the same issue.

I don't know why for a time i haven't problems, probably the story of usb speed is ininfluent, or doesn't completly solve the problem.

But this time I think i've found a final solution for this problem.

I did some research and discovered that the main cause of crackling audio is a too high dpc latency.

This latency is normal below certain value, but high value can cause audio problems, end sometime video stuttering.

You can check your latency with a tool called DPC latency checker by thesycon

If you have high value probably you have a bad driver installed, or bugged/not good hardware.

In this case you have to understand what is the cause. I suggest to you to disable the devices (in control pannel / system) until you find the one that cause the problem. when you find it try to update the driver, if the problem still unresolved I suggest to you to disable the device in the bios.

In my case the problem comes from the jmicron controller, it doesn't working well with jmicron driver, but only with the asus ones.

EDIT: I have again the problem. So it isn't the final solution

Hi,

The crackling / popping noise came back after a while, so disabling the onboard sound did not work for me. Instead I bought a usb card that you put in a PCI slot(http://www.kjell.com/content/media/images/items/68165.jpg) and now I never hear any crackling noise and very rarely hear any popping noise.

Thanks for the update. this is a solution that I was already thinking.

But I do not want to spend more money for something that should work normally, and without a certainty of a solution.

Could you tell me the exact model of card you bought?

I also be grateful if you inform us if the problem returns.

Thanks.

P.S. I also made a new thread called dpc latency problem that describes an anomaly that can be related to this problem

One should not have to spend money to get a product working, a product that should be working from the get go, as its independent from your built in or dedicated soundcard. Though, if one had a dedicated, one would not be purchasing a USB headset.

Archived