Corsair Community

Corsair DDR4 2400 ram OC'd to 3000 Voltage question

Ady1976

I've got 2 8gb sticks of part number CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 for over 6 months I've been able to run these at 3000 without changing any timings on the ram and with what I would say only a small bump in voltage from the default of 1.2 to 1.248i was quite astonished I was able to get 3000mhz from 2400 ram, these have been tested in the Google Stressapptest which is as far as i'm concerned the best ram checker why? because as I was OC these sticks they were passing in MEMtest and hcimemtest but was having stability issues until I ran the stressapptest in Linux and that threw faults fairly quickly so bumped more voltage until I arrived at 1.248, haven't pushed these any further, i'm conviced I can get more out of these with little voltage increase, this is on an Asus Maximus VIII Hero, is 1.248v on this ram long term safe? so far it's gone 6 months without any hiccups. is it worth me pushing them any further than 3000?

Capture.PNG.03b2b04582cfa7933de74787f18caf24.PNG

Capture1.PNG.5553477b8fd5cbd10531616c5a94e299.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.ccd23c0cf5bf2fd16bab7282d2d2c740.PNG

The system will let you know if it suddenly decides 1.25v is no longer enough. At 6 months, I would no longer be worrying about it.

Is it worth it to bump up to 3200? I don't know. Probably a marginal improvement, but I don't own Z170 to test. Chances are you would need to either slide to 15-17-35 or start adding a much larger chunk of voltage. 3000 Mhz is where things used to get a bit sticky for a lot of Z170 owners. I don't know the state of affairs with the current BIOS versions and it is likely very much motherboard and MC dependent. Frankly, I would leave well enough alone unless you like memory overclocking. You have proven stability at those settings for your usage. If heading into new territory, make a system image of your C drive. There is always a chance you will need it.

The system will let you know if it suddenly decides 1.25v is no longer enough. At 6 months, I would no longer be worrying about it.

Is it worth it to bump up to 3200? I don't know. Probably a marginal improvement, but I don't own Z170 to test. Chances are you would need to either slide to 15-17-35 or start adding a much larger chunk of voltage. 3000 Mhz is where things used to get a bit sticky for a lot of Z170 owners. I don't know the state of affairs with the current BIOS versions and it is likely very much motherboard and MC dependent. Frankly, I would leave well enough alone unless you like memory overclocking. You have proven stability at those settings for your usage. If heading into new territory, make a system image of your C drive. There is always a chance you will need it.

thanks, I may give the next a try and see if there's any difference in performance if voltage is acceptable if not i'll leave it at 3000.

Those are good speeds for the modules, I'd maybe try a tad bit more v. ~.05 at a time.

I thought they were good speeds also, from what I've been hearing people are struggling to OC ram at all nevermind from 2400 to 3000, I may have been lucky with the modules who knows either way i'll take it haha.

Archived