Corsair Community

Bent windowed side panel on new Obsidian 800D

HyperNet

Last week I purchased a brand new 800D for my new system build. I am very happy with this great case, however I noticed soon after unpacking the case that the windowed side panel was not sitting flush to the rest of the case, almost like the panel is out of shape or bent. I figured that it the panel was not clipped correctly to the case so I continued to build my system.

Later after I had installed my pc into the case, I had a look at the side panel and it is very clear that it has been manufactured incorrectly. It has come out of the factory slightly bent thus causing the issue to not fit flush when installed on the case. The back panel (solid) is straight, but unfortunately the windowed panel is bent. I can say with confidence that this did not happen during transit as there is no evidence of damage to the box that 800d came in.

I have attached a picture of the bend along both edges of the windowed panel. (800dbent1.jpg and 800dbent2.pg)

I have heard others being shipped replacement panels in this instance from Corsair. The rest of the case appears to be fine, just this panel.

Can Corsair ship me a replacement 800D windowed panel? I am located in Australia.

How would I go about getting this organised?

Thanks,

HN.

800dbent1.thumb.jpg.94970fe60735fb1110d47c4646b34af1.jpg

800dbent2.thumb.jpg.d5ab714904de1274371632ea38339766.jpg

Thanks for the info Wired. Ill submit the RMA form later tonight.

Ill just add that I have just taken a close look at the back panel and have noticed it also has a bend (different location to the bend on the windowed panel). Not as bad as the other side but it is there. Disappointing that this case has bent parts as it is one very nice case. Hopefully I won't have any issues getting some new side panels!

The photos are of the edge of the windowed side panel of the 800d case, looking down from the top of it, the "height" of the panel (removed from the case). I'm not sure how else I can take a photo of it. That's the best photo that shows how the panel isn't straight and how each has a curve to it. The back panel (solid panel, behind the motherboard tray) has a similar bend in it with the same "wave".

I think 800dbent2.jpg shows the issue quite well. It can be seen that the panel is not straight. That bend causes the panel to not fit nicely (bowed out, hence not flush) when installed onto the side of the case.

AHHHH , i can see it now , you can see the plastic covering the window on 1 of the shots , i was like damm what is that but now you explain it i can see it :o: .

You got it :) Yep I still have the factory protective plastic film on the side panel window. I apologise if I didn't explain the issue/part very well.

Just to make it clear: The panels I refer to are the ones you remove by pressing the release buttons on the back of the 800D to get inside the case and behind the motherboard tray. Both panels (windowed and solid) have this bend in them causing them not to fit flush with the rest of the case. I hope Corsair can send me replacement side panels for the 800D as this would fix my problem.

• Corsair Employee

What bent the side panel?

It looks like you can use a pair if needle nose pliers and straighten them.

What I am getting at is the panels do not come that way and this would be considered physical damage and not covered under warranty.

But you are welcome to order them from the web store if you like they are listed under case parts.

This is how I received my 800D new in box last week. When I unpacked it I first noticed the issue with the side panels. It is a manufacturing defect from the factory.

There is no way the panels can be straighted with any sort of tool unfortunately. The bend is though the entire panel.

The photos show how they are not straight and when the panels are installed on the 800D they do not fit flush due to the bend.

• Corsair Employee
Can you post a better picture showing the whole side panel and the area where it is damaged please? The pictures you posted are not clear and not a wide enough view to see what you have and what is damaged. But looking at them again it looks like you took a picture looking down on the panels and both are best at the bottom, if so that would suggest shipping damage and the right coarse of action would be to contact the reseller. Replacing the panels would likely not solve the problem if there was that much damage in shipping.

Thanks for the replies :)

Was the box and packing materials damaged when you received the 800D?

I would contact your seller and ask if they can replace the case for you.

No, the box and packaging materials were not damaged in any way. The box was fully intact. No signs of being crushed or damaged in any way. I can post an image if you like of the box.

I would prefer not to completely disassemble my system and send the entire case back to my seller when two new side panels would solve the issue fully. I spent a long time (many hours) cable managing, installing new Corsair AF fans and so forth to get my install just the way I like it. The rest of the case appears to be fine. It's just the side panels which are out of shape.

Can you post a better picture showing the whole side panel and the area where it is damaged please? The pictures you posted are not clear and not a wide enough view to see what you have and what is damaged. But looking at them again it looks like you took a picture looking down on the panels and both are best at the bottom, if so that would suggest shipping damage and the right coarse of action would be to contact the reseller. Replacing the panels would likely not solve the problem if there was that much damage in shipping.

The pictures that I posted in the first post are the only way I can find to show the bend in the panels clearly. You can see they are not straight as there is a inwards curve near the bottom of the panel. Yes, the picture was taken looking down the edge of the panels. The second picture was flipping the panel over so that it is upside down.

The thing is looking at the panel as a whole with your eye/camera does not show anything wrong. It's only when you place the side panels on the case you can see and feel with your finger that it is not sitting flush due to the bend. Looking down the edge (as per pictures in my first post) shows the panels are not straight. Quite simply they have not been pressed at the factory straight.

I have taken a few more pictures to attempt to better illustrate the issue:

sidepanelinstalled.jpg - Shows how the installed panels' top edge does not sit flush with the top edge (near the roof) of the 800D. This is taken looking from the top of the case downwards.

ruler1.jpg - The ruler is straight, and placing it along the panel shows how the panel is not a straight in the middle.

ruler2.jpg - The end is straight of the panel as seen by the very end of the ruler fitting flush against the panel.

I'm not sure how else to take a photo to show the bend in the removable panels. The back panel (solid one behind the motherboard tray) is the same.

Today I asked a friend with a 800D if I could borrow his side panels to see how they fit. They fit perfectly and lined up fine on my 800D. His panels are dead straight the entire way through, i.e when looking down their edge. Mine should be the same.

As a result this proves the rest of the case is fine and square. Replacement side panels which are straight will solve this problem as I found today.

sidepanelinstalled.thumb.jpg.2c9f550f9b459c110e05a60820ee531e.jpg

ruler1.thumb.jpg.b9210f2916e7e23f70993b8d95ac7149.jpg

ruler2.thumb.jpg.005354c26320c29562ff1ec8599e5eda.jpg

If the box or packaging was not damaged then this would not be shipping damage. And with your friend's 800D panels that fit flush would most likely mean the panel has been bent and the rest of the case is not damaged.

If you haven't yet. Request an RMA to get the panels replaced.

Archived