The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
matrixbandit's PC Specs

POST ID # = 532000
matrixbandit Reputation: 10
Idea Firmware update 1.3.2 - Force GT 120 GB - Results

I'm starting this thread so those of us - who had experienced the random BSOD issue that went away when we disabled TRIM - can compare our experiences after installing the 1.3.2 firmware update.

What I did, and what I recommend others do, is to install the updated 1.3.2 firmware as directed here, ensure that it actually did update correctly by rescanning the drives and verifying it now lists the firmware as 1.3.2 and then reboot, and re-enable TRIM support in windows. This post explains how, if you need it: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86403

Afterwards, since you've likely been running without TRIM for some time, you should probably get and run the ForceTrim.exe tool, which can be found by Googling "SSD trim tool" or "ForceTrim.zip". It is a very simple and completely safe utility that merely creates a few large file entries on the ssd in order to fill the drive's free space, and then deletes them. This, assuming TRIM is enabled on your system, will cause your OS to issue trim commands to the ssd to cleanse the space those large files took up (Specifically, all the free space). After running this, the ssd should be managing this cleanup completely on its own in the background, and may take a few minutes. You really have no way of knowing, other than just coming back later and running a benchmark to see if your write performance has increased. I wouldn't bother, to be honest, as you should probably be more concerned with system stability right now than write performance.

With any luck, your system will now be completely stable and maintain wonderful write performance forever and ever, and double rainbows will fill the sky while we ride off into the sunset eating buckets of crispy bacon with giant smiles on our stupid faces. I did all of the above a few hours ago, and - fingers crossed - I have not suffered any problems whatsoever so far. I used to have numerous BSODS daily before disabling trim. I will be back in a few days to post a followup - much sooner if I experience problems again.

Please share your relevant experiences here so that we can all benefit from each others knowledge!

Last edited by matrixbandit; 10-03-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added link to firmware 1.3.2 forum post

Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 532007
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixbandit View Post
With any luck, your system will now be completely stable and maintain wonderful write performance forever and ever, and double rainbows will fill the sky while we ride off into the sunset eating buckets of crispy bacon with giant smiles on our stupid faces. I did all of the above a few hours ago, and - fingers crossed -
Good post, looking forward to your updates sitting on my perch atop the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
matrixbandit's PC Specs

POST ID # = 532383
Thumbs up So far so good.

24 hours and counting, so far so good! I am cautiously optimistic.
I've actively used the drive during this time as well - benchmarking, installing/uninstalling programs, booting, etc.

I'll try to leave another update in a week or so, but if not, you can pretty much just assume everything is running smoothly for me now.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM

POST ID # = 532612
Acksaw Reputation: 10

After updating to 1.3.2 the update tool still says 1.3 is this right?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
matrixbandit's PC Specs

POST ID # = 532613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acksaw View Post
After updating to 1.3.2 the update tool still says 1.3 is this right?
At first, yes. Press the "Re-scan drives" button, and when it is done scanning it should now show 1.3.2 in the firmware version column. If it doesn't, make sure you are running the utility with admin privileges (by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"), and make sure you have your system bios set to enable AHCI on whatever sata channel / controller the ssd is plugged in to.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:35 AM

POST ID # = 532753

Hi, I have now ran the upate as admin and when clicking "Proceed" my PC just crashes, I tried it twice and luckily both times the data was unaffected. I'm going to take an image of the drive but is there anything I can do to get around this?

Win7 64bit X38 chipset

Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 532904

Quote:
Hi, I have now ran the upate as admin and when clicking "Proceed" my PC just crashes, I tried it twice and luckily both times the data was unaffected. I'm going to take an image of the drive but is there anything I can do to get around this?

Win7 64bit X38 chipset
Did you try the other tips noted on the download page for the firmware update?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:26 AM

POST ID # = 533051

I haven't as I thought they were only if the update worked but you were getting issues still? I did reset the CMOS though.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 AM

POST ID # = 533526

Still can't get it to update, any ideas?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 AM
matrixbandit's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533529

Quote:
There's a few threads over here that are specific to people having problems with the firmware update: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206
You might have more luck posting in one of them. I hope you can get it to work!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 AM
matrixbandit's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533532
Default Another update

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixbandit View Post
24 hours and counting, so far so good! I am cautiously optimistic.
I've actively used the drive during this time as well - benchmarking, installing/uninstalling programs, booting, etc.

I'll try to leave another update in a week or so, but if not, you can pretty much just assume everything is running smoothly for me now.
It has been almost a week now since updating to firmware 1.3.2 on my Force GT 120gb - So far I have had no problems with instability, and I have been running with TRIM enabled.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 533712

Quote:
It's impossible to assist you withouth knowing your system specifications and what you have tried to this point.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 PM

POST ID # = 534423

This is my PC spec, hope this helps, I have tried clearing the CMOS, running the update in administrator mode.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534465
Wired Reputation: 32

Try running the update tool in compatibility mode (e.g. XP 32 bit).
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 AM

POST ID # = 534595

Just tried that and PC crashed again when clicking proceed.

Tags
bsod, firmware 1.3.2, force gt