Corsair Community

Just Bought the Corsair One 16GB 1080Ti

Waterman

After days of lurking in this forum and posting thread seeking information, I finally decided to invest in this machine purely for the purpose of playing games. I found that Micro Center offer $300 off this model and I thought it is a good deal and bought it 2 days ago. They also sold the Alienware 34 inch 1440p 120Hz curved monitor for $999 and I got that too. This is the first time in 11 years of my life I bought a Windows based PC again. All these 11 years, I have only used Mac.

When I opened the box, I was so impressed with Corsair. This is a beautiful piece of machine, or I called it art. It is small and elegant, yet powerful. I was hoping it will work right away, within a few minutes I was disappointed. The Windows 10 that came along with it needs to be updated. I spent my whole day yesterday just updating it, it is a very painful experience. The update keep getting stuck. After a day now, it is still updating...stuck at version 1709. I was hoping Windows 10 is better than XP, after so many years, Microsoft still don't get it right. Updating a Mac never took this long.

What I like so far:

1. Really a beautifully crafted piece of art in the Windows world. Only an Apple can beat it in term of aesthetics.

2. Seems reasonably fast to me. Granted I can't compare, I have been using Mac OS.

What I don't like so far:

1. Everyone here told me it is very quiet. Something I was hoping for when I bought it. It turns out that it is not that quiet. I can still hear the fans running in another room. The worst part is that running sound is very annoying. My place is very very very quiet, so such a low fan-running sound really make my home not so quiet anymore. My iMac 5K on the other hand has almost no noise. The iMac is the true quiet machine.

2. Updating Windows 10 really destroys my experience. I don't know if Corsair can do anything about it. Clearly it is Microsoft problem, they still never get it right.

3. There is no manual on the official website to explain the functions of different USB ports and other ports. It is so confusing. For example, I also got a Razer Nommo Chroma, with so many USB ports, which one should I plug this speaker into to give the best experience? USB 2 or 3? and what about that VR one?

4. Setting up the monitor is confusing. This not on Corsair, compared to an iMac where I can use it right away. I spent a whole lot of time trying to figure out HDMI or DP on the Alienware 34 inch monitor, and then where to plug it in on the Corsair.

Sorry for my frustration, this is a guy coming from Apple products and has not used a PC for 11 years. Apple really makes thing smooth and seamless.

In summary, at this time, I am still trying to update Windows and hopefully I will love this machine.

Updates:

1. Windows finally got updated after 10 hours+ keeping the computer on. It is now version 1709.

2. After the updates, the computer seems even faster. I guess the update is slowing the computer down.

3. Trying to get used to the wireless Corsair K63 keyboard. It is very noisy while typing compare to the Apple wireless keyboard. Why is gaming so noisy? Why is the keyboard so heavy too?

4. For whatever reason, the Corsair One seems a little more quiet now (or is it because I am getting used to it), the only thing I did after the updates was to place the Corsair One underneath my desk. It used to be on my desk.

5. Will play games over the next few days and see how it goes.

I have my C1 1080TI on my desk, and I can barely hear it while sitting at my desk...no way you should be hearing it in another room...something isn't right there.

As for Windows updates...yup...mine kept getting stuck on one of the big updates...if you search on the web, you can find a few way to try and fix it if it happens again...mine was getting stuck during the downloading process...

Updates:

1. I am running 100 FPS while playing WOW at 10/10 max setting. Seems pretty smooth. Compare to my iMac 5K which can only run 5/10 setting and still choppy, this is a huge improvement. The Alienware 34 inch curved monitor certainly helps. So far I am happy.

2. The booting is really fast. This machine is really smooth.

3. @MrPace, I believe why I am hearing the fans noises is because my place is really quiet, all these times, I have been using an iMac which is obviously very quiet. Ironically, the iMac 5K only start to make a lot of loud fan noise when I play WOW or Diablo III. Surprisingly, even at max setting in WOW and Diablo III, Corsair One noise level is still the same, though the machine feels a little warmer. In summary, this is a quiet machine, though not as quiet as an iMac during normal non-intensive tasks. But it is certainly the quietest machine in heavy tasks.

4. Corsair officially announce the 8700K today, now I don't know what to do. I just got this 3 days ago. Should I return and upgrade?

Updates:

1. After playing with the Alienware 34 inch curved 120Hz 1440p monitor, now I know how to push it to higher FPS. Right now, while playing World of Warcraft and Diablo III at all max settings, I am able to get 120 FPS stable at almost all time. I am just so impressed with this machine. I known these two games for a long time, but never seen it getting played out so well at such a max level.

2. As much as I am tempted to return this machine and get the 8700K upgrade, I realized that 8700K will not serve me any good, I am not likely to see any gaming improvement given that 7700K already took care of everything. I am better off saving the $300+ difference.

3. I am also tempted at time to get the iMac Pro Vega 64 so I can have a minimalist desk, but I am noticing that after getting used to 120Hz, there is no going back, anything running at 60Hz right now looks weird. I don't know how to tell the different, but my eyes "feel" it. iMac Pro Vega 64 at this time sadly cannot support 120Hz.

4. I am now more impressed with how quiet this machine is when I play WOW and Diablo III. In contrast, the iMac is very noisy when I play the same games.

5. Corsair, please keep up the good work. I am hoping to buy your machine again in the future. (By the way, what am I going to do with this machine when I want to buy a new one, it is easy to trade in an iMac, how do you trade in a Corsair?)

Archived