Corsair Community

Request: X99-compatible non-ECC DDR4 RAM @2133 MHz: 16GB modules @<=4 modules per kit

MikhailV

I'm on the cusp of purchasing an Asus X99-M WS motherboard for my upcoming (very first) DIY build. This MicroATX board accommodates a maximum of 4 main memory modules.

As an X99 board, the X99-M WS supports both Xeon and 40-PCIe-lane Core i7 Extreme CPUs. Therefore, while this MicroATX board provides only 4 PCIe slots (only 3 @ CPU-linked Gen3 speeds and only 2 of those electrically wired to support a full 16 lanes per slot), it is probably more likely than the average non-X99 board to be used for builds that warrant a large amount of main memory in terms of cumulative GBs. (The X99-M WS is rated for up to 64 GBs of non-ECC main memory for a Core i7 Extreme build.) Furthermore, as a "WS" board, it incorporates workstation-friendly features, and thus (presumably) targets an audience beyond overclocking-oriented gamers -- one that includes prospective customers like myself.

I'm interested in purchasing 4 modules of non-ECC DDR4 RAM @2133 MHz (i.e., base clock speed) at 16 GB per module, with a reasonable expectation of compatibility with the X99-M WS. Corsair sells a remarkably broad and diverse line of main memory for PC motherboards. However, as far as I can tell, the closest Corsair's current product line approaches to my memory purchasing goals are the following:

1) DESIRED CLOCK SPEED, BUT TWICE AS MANY MEMORY MODULES AS I WANT OR CAN USE W/MY TARGET MOTHERBOARD: Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz C13 Memory Kit - Black (CMK128GX4M8A2133C13)

2) DESIRED MEMORY MODULE DENSITY PACKAGED IN KITS SMALL ENOUGH TO ACCOMMODATE THE CONSTRAINTS OF MY TARGET MOTHERBOARD, BUT RATED ABOVE BASE CLOCK SPEED: Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM Memory Kits (Black)...

a) 2400MHz C14 (CMK32GX4M2A2400C14)

b) 2666MHz C16 (CMK32GX4M2A2666C16)

I understand that the aforementioned 3 memory kits are part of a slew of DDR4 kits that were announced over one year ago (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=131348). I don't know whether Corsair has modified their DDR4 product lineup at all since then, or whether/when they are planning to do so or at least would consider doing so in the future. However, based on what I know now, I hope that Corsair will expand their X99-board-compatible, 2133MHz DDR4 offerings to include 16 GB modules in two-module, single-module, and/or four-module packages. (The most logical implementation of such an expansion would -- of course -- be an expansion of Vengeance LPX 32GB kit offerings to include modules rated at 2133 MHz.) I assume that -- for the Vengeance LPX line -- that would merely require some repackaging and associated logistics/marketing tweaks.

I hope any other (prospective) Corsair customers with compatible interests in product offerings will chime in here. Since I'm new to the DIY process, I know I might also benefit from any wisdom that other forum members might offer regarding the thought process behind my product request.

Well, basically all kits sold today are DDR4-2133 kits in addition to their rated speed, because DDR4-2133 is the basic JEDEC profile they all use. So even if you buy a DDR4-2666 kit, unless you manually enable the XMP, it will just run at DDR4-2133 on auto settings. The downside is, you might be paying a premium for the higher rated kit over standard OEM sticks.

However your ASUS X99-M WS shouldn't have any issues with DDR4-2666 in general and memory support will probably improve with time to support faster kits. This has happened to almost any X99 model released last year and some of the ASUS ones can actually support DDR4-3200 without using an additional strap now.

Archived