The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574320
lexxtia Reputation: 10
Default Intermittent Lockups

Greetings,

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find the reason for this, so here goes:

Jan 7th of 2012, I purchased a CSSD-P128GBP-BK and perfomed a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Everything has been running great up until this last month where I started getting random lock ups; no bsod, no dumpfile, no event log, nothing to track the reasoning behind it, the screen just hard locks, and I cant even move my mouse.

I did a clean install the other night and updated everything on the system I could, and I still get random lock ups. I have an old IDE 600GB drive that I clean installed as well to test my hardware, and so far I have not had any lock ups at all.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to replace / return this drive as its been great up until now if I can avoid it. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 AM

POST ID # = 574435
viaipi Reputation: 10

It might be stupid but...
Is it only your mouse which seems to be locked or not? Is it the same with your keyboard (e.g. from time to time you cannot enter text in a notepad)?
Do you have a wireless mouse/keyboard?
If so, take a try with a non wireless mouse (or replace batteries and resynchronize mouse/keyboard). This already happened to me after an update...
Hoping this may help!
With kind regards

Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM

POST ID # = 574462
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

-Latest BIOS? Drivers?
-Tried a different SATA data cable?
-Does the HD light stay solid?
-Does it freeze when Windows is accessing or reading files from the drive?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574513

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaipi View Post
It might be stupid but...
Is it only your mouse which seems to be locked or not? Is it the same with your keyboard (e.g. from time to time you cannot enter text in a notepad)?
Do you have a wireless mouse/keyboard?
If so, take a try with a non wireless mouse (or replace batteries and resynchronize mouse/keyboard). This already happened to me after an update...
Hoping this may help!
With kind regards
When it happens, both mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, and no they are not wireless. If I happen to be in a program of some kind, it becomes unresponsive.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted View Post
-Latest BIOS? Drivers?
-Tried a different SATA data cable?
-Does the HD light stay solid?
-Does it freeze when Windows is accessing or reading files from the drive?
I do have the latest drivers yes, but not to my BIOS; that is something I have not done yet is flash to the latest version. The version I am on is:

- P6T6 WS Revolution formal release BIOS 0311, and it looks like they are on P6T6 WS Revolution formal released BIOS version 0905; I will update to this

I have tried a different sata cable with no change

The LED on the front of the tower I have not paid attention to on what it is doing while it locks up, I will monitor it. While writing this post, it appears to be blinking randomly

It just locked up while I was browsing this forum. During that time, all I had running was IE, and the hard disk did not appear to be reading or accessing any files from the drive during that time. This was about 2 minutes after accessing this website of being idle.

That is one consistancy I am seeing; It locks up once a day when I turn on the PC, but never more than once a day no matter how many times I power down the PC that same day.

Last edited by lexxtia; 04-25-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: adding more content

Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574541

Bios now updated to most recent version. It has already locked up today, so I don't expect this to happen until tomorrow. I will post my findings tomorrow if it locks up again.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Arizona Willie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574604
Arizona Willie Reputation: 10

Join the club ... I'm about ready to use my SSD for target practice. I have all the latest motherboard upgrades / drivers etc. and the latest firmware and it still randomly locks up just like you describe. Usually I discover the lockup when I click an icon or go to do something and it is completely non-responsive. Can't even click on the Start button to shut it down ... have to do a hard power down holding the power button down.

Never never had this kind of stuff with platter drives.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 574610
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

lexxtia
That sounds more like the system is hard locking and may be for some other reason. Can you test the SSD on another system?

And Arizona Willie I see you have more than one drive are you using them in RAID? Have you tried the system with just one drive in AHCI Mode?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574618

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxtia View Post
Bios now updated to most recent version. It has already locked up today, so I don't expect this to happen until tomorrow. I will post my findings tomorrow if it locks up again.
looks like it locked up again while typing an email.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Willie View Post
Join the club ... I'm about ready to use my SSD for target practice. I have all the latest motherboard upgrades / drivers etc. and the latest firmware and it still randomly locks up just like you describe. Usually I discover the lockup when I click an icon or go to do something and it is completely non-responsive. Can't even click on the Start button to shut it down ... have to do a hard power down holding the power button down.

Never never had this kind of stuff with platter drives.
yep same here. im going to throw on my old hdd and find another system to test this drive with.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574621

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
lexxtia
That sounds more like the system is hard locking and may be for some other reason. Can you test the SSD on another system?

And Arizona Willie I see you have more than one drive are you using them in RAID? Have you tried the system with just one drive in AHCI Mode?
i hope its another reason and not the drive. im going to see if i can get another system to test it on while putting my old hdd back in for now. also the ssd is running in ide mode. should i try installing it in ahci mode?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 574631
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Yes you can but that alone should not cause the system to lock up it will only affect some of the features. I have SSD's running on systems in IDE mode and never had an issue with that. But it would not hurt to try it. Also besides the MB BIOS make sure that you have the latest Chipset drivers installed.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Arizona Willie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574660
Arizona Willie Reputation: 10

No, those two drives are data drives and they were in a RAID 0 array in my old computer. When I built this one I formatted them and am using them as single drives now.

I set this computer up with programs and data on a platter drive in order to save space on the SSD, except for a few programs like Office. So I can't very well run it with only the SSD because that basically has the OS and little else which I use.

AHCI mode is on in the BIOS.

Quote:
lexxtia

Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 AM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574704

Quote:
Yes you can but that alone should not cause the system to lock up it will only affect some of the features. I have SSD's running on systems in IDE mode and never had an issue with that. But it would not hurt to try it. Also besides the MB BIOS make sure that you have the latest Chipset drivers installed.
I will do both, as i'm not 100% certain that my chipset drivers are updated. Going to switch to AHCI in bios and fresh install windows 7 again, as well as update the chipset drivers after it is installed.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:57 AM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574714

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxtia View Post
I will do both, as i'm not 100% certain that my chipset drivers are updated. Going to switch to AHCI in bios and fresh install windows 7 again, as well as update the chipset drivers after it is installed.
I didn't end up going to AHCI just yet, however I updated the chipset.

Let's see if I get another system lock.

Tags
bsod, freeze, hangs, lock, ssd