The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574718
lexxtia Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxtia View Post
I didn't end up going to AHCI just yet, however I updated the chipset.

Let's see if I get another system lock.
Okay just locked up again browsing the internet...sigh.

I was monitoring the temperatures of my CPU, and 2 Video cards, and they appeared to be normal as it locked up (idle video is at 68c, idle cpu at 46c). When playing games, I have seen the video cards shoot up to 75c or so and have been okay.

Well I can format again under AHCI and try that.

Last edited by lexxtia; 04-26-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: typo

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574743

So now I am in AHCI mode, fresh install, updated chipset, drivers, yada yada. I ran into this post while browsing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegee View Post
Since I have set this registry key (and therefore disabled DIPM/HIPM), I have no longer noticed any freezes - however I'm not sure if it really works because I'm unable to "trigger" them ...
I went ahead and did this fix while I had the chance as well. Lets see how this goes.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Arizona Willie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574779
Arizona Willie Reputation: 10

Got another system lock this morning. Came here to read messages, right clicked on three and said to open in a new tab in Chrome and it sat there saying " loading ... " and doing nothing else. Finally the loading animation stopped too and I had to do a hard power down again.

Fortunately, this time it only took two restarts to get it to run again -- for awhile.

I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a SATA3 platter drive and I am going to just disconnect this SSD with Windows 7 and try to run with Windows 8 and forget this SSD.

Not worth the time and hassle. COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE.

I will keep an eye on the board and see if they ever bother to release another firmware upgrade and if it does any good .. or Corsair just moves on and pretends these drives never happened.

People have been more than patient with these POS.

Corsair should be sued == class action. Any lawyers here?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Willie View Post
Got another system lock this morning. Came here to read messages, right clicked on three and said to open in a new tab in Chrome and it sat there saying " loading ... " and doing nothing else. Finally the loading animation stopped too and I had to do a hard power down again.

Fortunately, this time it only took two restarts to get it to run again -- for awhile.

I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a SATA3 platter drive and I am going to just disconnect this SSD with Windows 7 and try to run with Windows 8 and forget this SSD.

Not worth the time and hassle. COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE.

I will keep an eye on the board and see if they ever bother to release another firmware upgrade and if it does any good .. or Corsair just moves on and pretends these drives never happened.

People have been more than patient with these POS.

Corsair should be sued == class action. Any lawyers here?
Sorry to hear that. Luckily I have enough patience to try everything under the sun. I really want to believe there is something else causing this and not a defective drive. So far I haven't locked up yet...knock on wood. I normally lock up by now after a few minutes of just random browsing.

I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I will post some tiny differences with what is going on now. I only have 2 sata cables, so I only have 2 devices plugged in at any given time; it is generally the hard drive, and a dvdrom. Originally when I didn't have my SSD drive, I used a 600GB 7200 WD drive and my dvdrom. The WD drive was partitioned in half, so I would store just my apps on the C: drive, and hard data on the D: drive. What I have been doing since I've installed the SSD drive is update everything I needed to using the dvdrom, then disconnecting the dvdrom and attaching the WD hard drive to the second sata cable, so in essence I would have 2 hard drives and no dvdrom. So far I haven't done this yet, and just have the SSD connected with the dvdrom.

Also, I have never updated to SP1, and unsure if I even need to. I'm also running IE8 instead of IE9 this time.

If things stay stable for longer than 2 days I will flip back to that setup and see how things go.

Last edited by lexxtia; 04-26-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574846

If this helps any

Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Arizona Willie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574953
Arizona Willie Reputation: 10
Default lockups

lexxtia -- when mine works I get read / write over 500 both ways.

As long as it works it's fantastic.

When it doesn't work -- not so much.

Yesterday I pulled the SSD and moved my platter drive with Windows 8 to SATA port 1 where the SSD had been plugged in.

So far, not one hiccup.

There is a possibility I might have a defective power supply though. When I start the computer ( cold boot ) the fans come on then stop then start and sometimes they do that 2 or 3 times where it sounds like they stop completely other times it sounds like they just slow down.

I'm checking with the power supply outfit and may swap that out. But the ASUS monitoring software has never given me an alarm about low or high voltage so I'm somewhat puzzled about that.

It could be that the SSD is EXTREMELY sensitive to voltage and a fluctuation that a platter drive doesn't even notice causes the SSD to freeze.

Fortunately Windows 8 boots much faster than Windows 7 cause it uses the hibernate file to boot from as long as there have not been any changes ( at least that's the way I understand it ). Thus it's like waking up the computer from sleeping instead of going through the whole boot up process.

Only problem is transferring all the data from the Windows 7 setup into Windows 8. I had just been playing with it .. not seriously using it before but now I'm just going to go ahead and use it for my OS and see what happens.
A lot of people have switched because Windows 8 has been so stable ( it basically seems to be a User Interface enhancement to Windows 7 plus changes to the memory manager so that it handles apps and programs like Android does. You don't need to quit programs, the OS just puts them inactive unless the memory they use is needed.

I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that. But all the old familiar Windows 7 stuff seems to still be there under the hood .. Control Panel .. Device Manager etc etc.

Anyway, time will tell about the SSD and the power supply.

I hope it IS the power supply. Would like to be able to put the SSD back in use.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 575063

I was looking at a possible power issue, but haven't been able to come up with any conclusions there. I'm not getting any fan / fluctuation issues that I can see anyway since all the fans and components do not seem to be slowing down or anything like that.

I haven't locked up yet, and am using both drives instead of the ssd / dvdrom combo. This is much longer than the daily lockup that was going on.

Things I have not done to the setup I've had before so far is:

- Update to the latest nvidia drivers (currently using stock windows driver WDDM v1.1, version: 8.15.11.8593...I hope the video card(s) aren't the issue)
- Update to IE9

So far so good

Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 575068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Willie View Post
lexxtia -- when mine works I get read / write over 500 both ways.
My mobo doesn't support Sata III, so I'm missing out on speed, but I'm fine with that.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM
lexxtia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 575385

So I finally decided to upgrade from the windows 7 built in video driver to the latest Nvidia drivers, which is 296.10...sure enough after rebooting, the system locked up within a minute or so. It looks like that may have been the culprit the whole time. I reverted back to the windows driver until I can find a stable driver.

Tags
bsod, freeze, hangs, lock, ssd