Corsair Community

Help needed for setting up TWINX1024-3200C2 on MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum

giddyup69

hi... just built a new computer and am having instability problems with the computer. I have a MSI Neo 2 Platinum (ms-7025), AMD64 3500+, bfg geforce 6800 oc, and Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2. my system either freezes or reboots with a blue memory error windows xp screen (does it randomly and usually when load is placed like playing a game). a friend of mine told me that i need to set-up the ram inside the bios but am unsure how to do that as i am new to all this. corsair website info claims the memory cards run at 2.5-3-3-6 on amd. how should i set-up my bios as i'm not sure what each number stands for? also, what should my voltage and memory timing be set at? here is a list of what my bios' default (fail-safe) settings are right now:

1. max memclock - Auto

2. 1t/2t memory timing - 2t

3. cas # latency - auto

4. ras # to cas# delay - auto

5. min ras# active time - auto

6. row precharge time - auto

7. aggressive timing - disabled

8. dynamic overclocking - disabled

9. spread spectrum - enabled

10. ht frequency - 4x

11. cool 'n' quiet - disabled

12. adjust cpu ratio - startup

13. adjust cpu fsb frequency - 200

14. adjust agp frequency - 66

15. cpu voltage - cpu default (grayed out)

16. memory voltage - auto (grayed out)

17. agp voltage - 1.50 v (grayed out) (*this value may be wrong as i am at work and running off my own memory - the rest above are 100% correct)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. max memclock - Auto

2. 1t/2t memory timing - 2t

3. cas # latency - 2.5

4. ras # to cas# delay - 3

5. min ras# active time - 3

6. row precharge time - 6

These are the timings, and above is what they match up to. The last 2 may be reversed though. Don't worry, only one of those 2 will be capable of being set to 6, so it'll present itself.

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

thanks for the info, i've set-up the system as described and am still getting instability. basically the same 2 errors of freezing up and windows crashing to a blue screen followed with a quick re-boot. i've read at other forums that some people adjusted their voltage to correct the problem. is this something i can do, and at what voltage do i set it at. any help would be greatly appreciated as this is still an ungoing problem for me.

• Corsair Employee

Yes. I would make sure that you have the latest bios and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts, and if you have a socket 754 Version of this MB you will want the modules in slots 2-3 as well!

Moving to Compatibality Questions!

This seems to be a common theme. I have a similar system (MSI K8N Neo Platinum 7025 mobo, AMD 3500+ s939, Corsair 1024-3200XLS. I've experienced the same issues and I know others have as well. I would appreciate feed back as to what really works in getting the system stable. I've replaced the motherboard, ran memtest (without errors), and now buying a new Video card. I've also set my memory to 2-3-2-11 without any changes. Also using latest Bios v1.3.

I've ordered a BFG 6800 Ultra OC also to verify it's not my "old" video card causing the game/video/system stability problems. Should get it by 10/25 (crossing fingers).

Could this be a processor issue? Or compatibility of BIOS with everything in the system? How could a person test those issues.

Seriously... this is a common problem and needs to be addressed.

Thank you...

Dan

I also have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (rev 1.0, bios 1.36 beta), 3500+ A64 Newcastle, Corsair TWINXMS-3200XL memory. I cannot run it at 2-2-2-5 T1 I have to drop back to 2.5-3-3-10 T2 (cant get T1 stable).

it is impossible for me to find the fault as memtest86+ fails at Corsair's recommended 2.5-3-3-6 T1 and works at 2.5-3-3-11 T2.

The processor is rock stable when benching the cpu and cache but crashes in IE ir explorer or when using 3dmark 2005?

finally got my ram working stable at a dismal 3-4-4-8-t2 @2.75v. someone from another board (actually member from msi's support board-just wondering if the feartec here is the same guy?) helped me out... anyways, if i drop the settings any lower then the above i start to get either freezes or bsod's from various applications... but it seems to be more common in games and especially 3dmark. i just tested the ram in a friend's computer last night (similar set-up to mine but... he uses an asus board). we ran the ram at 2.5-3-3-6 and it worked flawlessly. looks like it may be a msi board problem. i just wish company's started placing compatability issues upfront with their customers before they get stuck with these hardware set-ups (such as corsair's claim of compatability here ). people are paying a large premium for these sticks of ram and manufacturers need to take a greater care when placing these statistics on their websites (false advertisement in my eyes-j.m.o.). looking back i wish i had done one of the 2 following things:

1) ultimately didn't buy the msi board to begin with or

2) spent less money on some cheaper ram that had the same latency values.

overall a big dissapointment for me.

btw: i have been in contact with msi tech support over the problem and the only suggestions they gave me were to update my bios with a file they sent me and run the board's default fail-safe settings... which did not work. i have since replied back to them regarding my issues and have not received a response back yet.

regardless, thanks to all who helped me out on this problem as at least i now have a computer that runs without quitting on me.

-giddyup :(:

• Corsair Employee
Well first off I am sorry that you are having trouble, and you are welcome to call our Tech support at 888-222-4346 Option 3 we may be able to help you get your system stable. However, there are many things that could be causing you problems, not just the MB or the memory. I would if you can test the modules on another system, maybe a friend can help you!

thanks ram guy i may go ahead and do that. i'm actually going to be swapping parts with my friend this weekend to make sure it's not a video card problem or something (but i have a strong suspicion that it's the mobo as others are also having problems). thanks again to all for their help.

I havnt yet had a successful boot with my k8n neo and ive had it for about a month, it just keeps comming up with the blue screen saying something about a memory dump. The only thing i havnt tried is changing the timings (they are all on auto) so ill have a wack at that now.

Oh yea i have a xp3200.

OK everyone... here's the story... I bought my BFG 6800 Ultra OC. It does work, however I've tried to push the card to the limit and it did hang the system similarly as before. I've also seen some "static"/"noise" on a game I played... it appeard along the path the charater was supposed to take. Really weird. If I just use the highest graphics settings without getting too fancy about anti??? then I'm thinking I will stay stable.

Good news is that I get the following 3dmarks:

3d01 : 23009

3d05 : 4032

I was transferring a file during the 3d05 benchmark. I am curious if I can get better with the system alone.

Thanks again for everyone's help... I've really appreciated it!

Dan

thought i would just leave an update.

spent a whole day swapping parts with a buddy of mine... even swapped processors (which sucked because we had to go and buy more thermalpaste)... and my results are still the exact same. running memtest seems to pass no matter what combination of parts i had but 3dmark failed at the corsair publicized 2.5-3-3-6 settings. raising the numbers improved things quite a bit (but not exactly what i was going for).

there is no doubt in my mind that it is a compatability issue with the memory sticks and the msi mobo. right now my computer seems to be running at 3-3-3-11-t2 (no way t1 works with these sticks) at an acceptable (can't beleive i just said that) average of maybe 1 crash every 4-5 hours. left my computer on last night to download something and this morning the screen was frozen. i've officially given up on my mobo and memory set-up as i've run out of patience with these 2 co-existing in the same room together. will probably buy an asus board this week and cut my losses. thanks to all for their help and msi can kiss a current and future customer good-bye (corsair can do the same if i can't get these suckers to work in the asus properly, but i'll tackle that hurdle if i reach it). :[pouts:

thumbs up to anyone having success with these products as it is well deserved.

• Corsair Employee

Well I do understand how you feel, and I have no problem replacing your modules if you would like too try that!

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I have the identical system, MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum, Amd 3500+, Twinx1024-3200c2pt, BFG 6800 128mb OC, and a couple of 10k raptors. Same issues, cannot get away from the BSD after playing games or just cruising windows, IE IRQ_NOT_LESS yadayada... It is very frusterating...Where is the incompatibility? I ordered an ATI x800 XT card and I should get it tomorrow. My bios mem setting are stock, maybe I'll try to tweak them some. I'm beside myself here, many hours of tweaking has done little or no good. I tried installing WINXP 64-BIT to no avail, it crashed and burned. Let me know anyone if you come up with something, maybe its the graphics card....I'll let y'all know...

Anyone else have this m/b and this memory and have no probs?

OK NOW PEOPLE, remember to set the DMA to ENABLED in bios, huge difference...lol...I didn't see it before. After doing this I got some weird winxp messages and I reinstalled xp. I am writing from my lappy now, I'll post and let you know how it turns out. My current mem settings are 2T 3-3-6-3 @ 2.7v- It never freezes in Prime95 and passes memtest86 every time. It just locks up randomly when cruising the internet and especially when trying to play a game. I'll keep you posted...

Ok, I had tons of errors in windows, bios still locking up (froze showing floppy controller), so I upgraded to beta 1.37. I set my mem to 2t 3 8 3 @ 2.7. I had a brand new plextor DVDR PX716A that was causing the bios to freeze. I tried a new drive, voila, it never freezes there anymore. I disabled the whole raid thing, installed just one of the raptors, now it seems to fly!! It really runs smooth with no errors as of yet. I will post when testing is complete.

Also, I plan to lower my mem settings between tests. My x800xt is "on truck for delivery" so i will be adding that today. I have a 6800 Oc and an x800 pro for sale...lol

Yeah...I love this board now! I don't know what all I did, but I changed a bunch of stuff. I got 4612 on 3dmark05 and 14765 on 3dmark03. This thing rocks, it even feels like stud. Them scores are stock, no overclocking. I can't wait to tweak it up a little bit :laughing:

Archived