Corsair Community

2x 32GB kits Windows Freezing

kilzfire

I have 2 sets of the 32GB kits resulting in 64GB of memory:

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M4A2133C13

I am of course using a EVGA Motherboard:

EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

During windows setup I locked up a couple times. I pushed through though got everything installed. Upgraded the BIOS to 1.14 from 1.06 (scary as it might have locked up).

With new bios as the memory compatibility chart states bios 1.13 or higher I still freeze:

CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 ->

What I didn't notice before purchase was the DIMM column on the chart states: 1+3+5+7

And not : 1~8

Does this mean with 8 sticks of this type it will not function? Should return these sticks? If so what should I buy?

When I looked at the AUTO timings selected by the motherboard....there is four banks of memory with all different timings. I was like...**** is this thing doing?

See rows like 5 5 5 6

And 5 6 5 6

I mean if this is all the same memory why is the motherboard trying to automatically change the timings per each 2 sticks of memory.

So I tried the 2133MHZ profile that was included as possible setting. This gave me even less time before a freeze and I mean that I tried it several times and I have only limited use before lock up using this profile.

Are there timings that will actually work for me? Is anyone using 64GB of this memory and ok? Maybe I have a bad stick?

After extensive searching to find a solution tonight I am going to try to put them into similar banks from the packages they came from.

I put the first package into 1,2,3,4

2nd package into 5,6,7,8

I am going to put the first package into slots 1,3,5,7

2nd package into slots 2,4,6,8

Hoping this will resolve the problem as a person could in theory buy a 32 GB kit and down the road want to purchase a second and should they do that they would have to place them as above to make them work properly!

Good theory? Will post the results after the test is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious what the outcome of this was. ..

Cause yea if one wants to upgrade the amount of ram.

In theory if the Serial numbers of each kit should go into seperate banks.

Install the first kit as it were going be the only one.

then second kit into available slots.

Do post your outcome please..

combining 2 kits on the same motherboard is not officially supported or recommended however you can try what you proposed and see what happens. you may not reach the full 2133 speed with 2 kits and may be limited to a slower speed like 1600.

unfortunately since the 2 kits were never tested at the factory as a full 64G kit the results will be unpredictable.

you may need some voltages bumped up since 8 sticks are a much bigger strain on the CPUs memory controller.

i would mark one kit somehow and try different combinations to see what may work best. make sure the kits are the same exact version.

let us know!

the compatibility list is for 1 kit only, not 2.

good luck.

yes I decided I don't really need 64GB or 32GB, so I'm doing a 2666MHZ kit of 16GB.

I was thinking of running a RamDisk, but an SSD is going to be good enough until the M.2 speeds double to 1.3GB/s real soon.

If I do need 32/64 I guess I will just buy an entire kit, I never running 2 sets anyway,

But all my Corsair rams have been great.

Still curious though, if the OP was sucessfull.

Archived