Corsair Community

Corsair Link rendering other USB 2 on-board header non-functioning

loslyfie

My H110i is connected to one of my two USB 2 on-board headers. My case's two front USB 2 ports are connected to the remaining USB 2 on-board header. The H110i and Link software is working perfectly. That is until I plug any USB device into any of the front USB 2 ports, then the Link software freezes and I hear that USB disconnect sound. Removing the USB device from the front USB 2 ports and restarting the PC solves the problem. When I unplug the Link USB cable then the front USB ports work perfectly. Plugging a USB device into the front USB 3 ports do not cause this issue.

Are there any fixes for this issue?

That is until I plug any USB device into any of the front USB 2 ports

• You need to specify the actual devices that cause the issue.
  • The issue could be down to the other device rather than the H110i.
  • What happens if you have the H110i + RM650i connected to the two headers?
  • I recall others seeing this effect which was triggered by a mouse, but can't remember the details.
  • As I recall they moved the mouse to a different USB port and it went away.
  • I expect the USB 3 device was OK as it uses a different USB host controller.
  • I suspect using an NZXT IU01 USB Expansion would hide the issue and also allow both the H110i + RM650i to be connected.

Thank you for your prompt response.

I can answer as follows: Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, Corsair 16GB USB 2 flash drive, Samsung 360GB USB 2 external HDD, Seagate 4TB USB 3 external HDD, Sansa Clip MP3 player. All of these work flawlessly in any front USB 3 port. When installed in the USB 2 ports Windows can never detect a driver for the device and more often than not I hear the USB disconnect sound, which I have established is the Link software, and then my PC freezes. I know this because after hearing the disconnect sound I run the Link software but cannot select anything as the program does not respond (and nor does my PC from that moment onwards).

I disconnected the front USB 2 ports from the one internal header and connected the RM650i to it. The Link software detected the RM650i and is working flawlessly. I have also inserted flash drives into the front USB 3 ports and everything is still working perfectly.

Regarding the potential mouse conflict, I encountered a strange problem a few minutes ago where I was charging my Sansa Clip MP3 player in one of the front USB 3 ports when I updated my Razer Synapse software for my DeathAdder. On completion Synapse said I should restart my PC and when I did it froze. I did a hard reset and my speakers suddenly made these loud pop noises and when Windows restarted I was told that the previous USB device malfunctioned. And I have tried many things such as remove the device and restart etc. to get Windows to recognize the MP3 player but no luck thus far. I attached another Sansa MP3 player and that one works perfectly. So I guess the mouse caused some kind of conflict. I did move it to another port but it did not solve my MP3 player not being recognized problem. But for now I'm going to keep the RM650i connected, which means I won't be using the front USB 2 ports any longer as my motherboard only has two internal USB 2 headers.

1. As I specified the USB 3 is a different controller so I would expect the USB 3 ports to be fine.
  2. Does the system lockup only when CL4 is active?
  3. Given the H110i + RM650i play nicely together I expect the issue is triggered when one of the other USB devices is connected rather than the RM650i.
  4. Which one?

I quickly disconnected the RM650i and reconnected the front USB 2.0 ports so I could test it. Quit CL4, plugged in the Xbox controller, heard the USB disconnect sound and PC locked up. Restarted. This time I kept CL4 running, plugged in my Corsair flash drive, heard the USB disconnect sound again and PC locked up. Reconnected my RM650i and everything runs flawlessly again.

I noted in my BIOS that xHCI is disabled. Could that make a difference?

attachment.php?attachmentid=26501&stc=1&d=1474215648

Given that both the H110i + RM650i + K70 + DeathAdder happly work together than I expect the issue is with one of the other devices.

There is an issue with [Hub 2]. Does Device Manager have any yellow triangles? If so then I advice you to resolve this issue as it could be the root cause of all the issues.

Again I suspect using an NZXT IU01 USB Expansion would hide the issue and also allow both the H110i + RM650i to be connected.

No there are no yellow triangles showing. Windows is also updated so I assume all the latest and correct drivers are installed. Nevertheless, should I reinstall the ASMedia USB 3.0 driver - the latest available one from the ASUS website for my motherboard? How would I be able to tell from your utility that the problem is resolved?

I will order the NZXT IU01, thank you for the tip, I wasn't even aware of such a product.

Thank you so much! The problem is solved. I've tested it thoroughly today to make sure that it's working before posting this replay, i.e. disconnecting the RM650i and reconnecting the front USB 2.0 ports - and they work! Your utility is even detecting my ASUS Soar sound card now, which also gave me some problems before and even this is working 100% now! I have reconnected the RM650i again for the time being until I receive the NZXT adapter. I have posted my updated results below. I had the latest driver installed from the ASUS website, i.e.1.16.35.1 and updated that with the latest ASMedia driver 1.16.38.1 today, but that didn't work. So I uninstalled the ASMedia driver and allowed Windows to search for the best driver, and it installed an Intel USB 3.0 driver which did the trick.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=26506&stc=1&d=1474291296

703180783_USBBusPanel2.JPG.afa100b235c5626b5a094e273470bef6.JPG

attachment.php?attachmentid=26506&d=1474291339

I given the ASUS Soar sound card is connected via the ASMedia USB 3.0 host controller I am not surprised it did not work. I suspect the Microsoft rather than the Intel driver is being used, but would need to check with Device Manager to be sure.

Whenever possible it's best to use the Microsoft drivers rather than the ASUS ones which should only be needed for Windows 7.

SIV should report V3 Root Hub for the ASMedia USB 3.1, please will you post Menu->System->Device IDs + Menu->System->USB Names so I can try and fix this?

BTW To insert images use such as [noparse]attachment.php?attachmentid=26507&stc=1&d=1474294851[/noparse] and it's also better to use .PNG for screen shots.

Archived