Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 on MSI P35 Platinum

vodanh

I have two sets of CM2x1024-6400C4 running on an MSI P35 Platinum for 4GB on a 64 bit os. I have BOSD (bad caller pool) randomly, usually over night.

As everyone is familiar, these ram run on JEDEC 5-5-5-18-22 1.8v, but rated at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v. The main problem I think I have is that my motherboard has options for more values after that.

CAS# Latency------------------------4

RAS# to CAS # Delay-----------------4

RAS# Precharge----------------------4

RAS# Activate to Precharge----------12

TRFC---------(these values range up to 60+. 21, 22,24 have failed to post)

TWR----------------------------------

TWTR--------------------------------

TRRD---------------------------------

TRTP---------------------------------

If I set PSD auto setting, it sets it to JEDEC or worse timings. The individual settings do not have an auto setting themselves, so its either all SPD auto, or all manual. I have ran this set successful in another board (Nvidia 680i) with no problems so I do not think mixing these matched pairs for a 4GB total is the problem. The nvidia chipst was able to auto detect the settings. The problem is boards don't always show the auto detected settings that work instead it just shows "auto".

1)My main questions are: How can I obtain the specific values for these modules? The data sheets I've found for them are too simplistic and do not go beyond the 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-18 JEDEC numbers. Again the values in question are the 2nd set of numbers (TRFC, TWR, TWTR, TRRD, TRTP). Can corsair tech support provide me this information?

2) I have seen people recommend if you go 4-4-4-12 you need to set it at 2.1v or 2.2v or whatever the max rated voltage is for your ram, otherwise you can do 5-5-5-18 at 1.8v. Doesmay vary depending on what ram and board you have or is this a fairly general rule of thumb.

I have been working with computers for many years, as of late, mainly for tweaking my own systems, these new set of values have been causing alot of stability issues for me, without ever getting any real solid information from the manufacturer about what they should be. So far i've just been winging it i suppose, and there are information on the net about what these values mean, but has no relative information for the user as to what or rather how you determine what those values are for your current set of ram, therefore making most of that information useless. From what i've read, TRFC values go from 1-60+ and increasing for stability, decreasing for performance. Most 4-4-4-12 ram seem to run around 21, 22, 24, Im just curious if these values can change when using two sets of them instead of just one set since they seem to be running more stable at higher values, but I'd like to know how low can they go?

Honestly at this point, i'd be perfectly ok with having them as stable as possible at 4-4-4-12 v2.1 800mhz and whatever (TRFC, TWR, TWTR, TRRD, TRTP) to be stable.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived