Corsair Community

CMPSU-600CX "Beeping" noise

MasterTec

I installed this power supply about two weeks ago to replace a failing 585W "el-cheapo" power supply that came with the computer's case.

It had been suffering from random crashes and intermittent blue-screens on boot up, and the old power supply started whining real bad.. almost like a fan noise but I verified that wasn't the case.

Anyway, I'm very happy to report that installing the CX600 power supply fixed all of those issue! However a new problem has developed.

When the computer is shut-down the new power CX600 supply emits a high-pitched 'beeping' kind of noise. I suppose it may be a very high frequency buzz. It happens exactly once every second, and lasts about 1/2 of a second.

If I flip off the power switch on the back of the power supply then the noise goes away. This noise wasn't present with the old power supply.

It is such a high frequency that I almost went crazy the first day trying to figure out exactly where the noise was coming from! Almost like hearing the back-up beeping from a garbage truck several blocks away! But it is very, very annoying.

I have tried turning off C1E and E1ST in the bios options but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas? Or should I just start the RMA process? Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
The only other possibility is that there is some other device plugged into the same circuit in your home which is altering the power signal and causing a resonance in the PSU. I would test the PSU in a different outlet/circuit, and if there is still no change, then lets get it replaced!

• 4 months later...

HI has this been resolved?

I am having the exact same problem with my cx 600, first of all i thought it was my neighbours alarm clock going nuts and ringing all the time, but i located the noise to be coming from my PSU, its driving me nuts -sometimes after awhile of running 1-2 hours it stops whining, and sometimes it just keeps on with this high frequent noise, when my pc is in sleepmode it is beeping like an alarm clock, when it is running it is a constant noise...

Br. Nick

EDIT: Have also tried A grounded outlet, disabled C1E, Intel speed stepping, mounting a ferrite core to the powercable, hmmm nothing seems to be helping, I think i will go to the store and try to get it replaced :( maybe a different brand -as i can see i am not the only one with problems

• Corsair Employee

Please be sure this is coming from the PSU, I would disconnect everything connected to the PSU except a Case fan and HDD, then turn the PSU power on see if the noise is present. If not then use a paper clip to turn on the system power to the PSU, then see if the noise is present then remove the paper clip with the PSU power switch is still on it should quit running but do you hear the noise.

If you do not hear that nose then connect the system components one at a time to see what might be causing the noise.

Also are either of you using a battery back up or APC? And have you checked the Ground in the outlet you have that system plugged in?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived