Corsair Community

HX1000W + 480 SLI Question

samarlian

Running 2 X gtx480 sc edition in sli

I have read many differnet problems or varients of rail distribution for the GTX480's and thought i would post here before i install my second gtx480 sc edition tommorow night

I ran my 2 x GTX285 in sli in the below configuration will this be ok for my GTX480 in SLi

Rail 12v1

CPU, MB, RAM

GPU 1 PCIx

GPU 2 PCIx

Rail 12v2

HDDs x 2

SSD x 1

DVD X 1

9 X FANS & 1 WATER PUMP

GPU 1 AUX

GPU 2 AUX

THX in advance

Make sure that both power connectors on each card are on the same rail. Don't pull from 2 different rails to 1 card. I'd suggest the MOBO + CPU and 1 GPU on 1 rail, the other GPU and everything else on the other rail if it will fit. If you have to put more stuff on the rail with the MOBO, put the small power draw stuff there.

Make sure that both power connectors on each card are on the same rail. Don't pull from 2 different rails to 1 card. I'd suggest the MOBO + CPU and 1 GPU on 1 rail, the other GPU and everything else on the other rail if it will fit. If you have to put more stuff on the rail with the MOBO, put the small power draw stuff there.

How can i put some smaller stuff on the MOBO rail as there is only

Mobo connector

Cpu connector

2 x Blue PCI-E connector

I am so confused with all the stuff flying around some are saying

I suggested worst case senario (CPU OC 4.0GHz, GPU sucking 300W)

Rail 1

CPU, MB, RAM = 300W

GPU 1 PCIx = 75W

GPU 2 PCIx = 75W

--------------

450W

Rail 2

HDDs = 30W

GPU 1 AUX = 225W

GPU 2 AUX = 225W

--------------

480W

others

V2:

250W - 75W= 175W

250W - 75W= 175W

130/2 (CPU) = 65W

15W (Hard Drive)

15W (Hard Drive)

15W (Hard Drive)

~5 W (DVD)

V1:

130/2(CPU) = 65W

X58 Chipset= 25W

10W RAM

75W (PCIe)

75W (PCIe)

So PLEASE help

Do i put

12V1

CPU/MOBO/RAM

GPU 1 X AUX

GPU 1 PCIx

GPU 2 PCIx

12V2

HDDs X3

GPU 1 AUX

FANS & WATERPUMP & DVDRW

OR

12V1

CPU/MOBO/RAM

GPU 1 PCIx

GPU 2 PCIx

12V2

HDDs X3

GPU 1 X AUX

GPU 2 X AUX

FANS & WATERPUMP & DVDRW

After reading through the forums Ramguy suggests:

The first card should be plugged into the 12v2 cables that are hardwired to the graphics card. If I hooked up the cards myself I would plug the second card into the 12v1 modular connectors which are closest to the fixed cable bundle.

I thought I would post back that I have been running both cards on the 12V2 as suggested for over a week now and all has been working well. I am going to avoid too much of an overclock on the cards to be safe though, which is just as well since I am using air cooling and want to keep the temps manageable.

So do i connect the SECOND card: on the 12V1 or 12V2.

Sorry for all the confusion as i just want to get it right

HX1000 Rail Diagram

How can i put some smaller stuff on the MOBO rail as there is only

Mobo connector

Cpu connector

2 x Blue PCI-E connector

I mistated my last sentence in the quote. Since you can only put the MOBO and 1 GPU on rail 1, put everything else on rail #2 including the 2nd GPU.

And no, you do not want the MOBO and both GPUs on the same rail. The cables are not suited for that anyway.

This is the configuration you want. DO NOT split the GPU power across 2 rails.

12V1

CPU/MOBO/RAM

GPU 1

GPU 1

12V2

HDDs X3

GPU 2

GPU 2

FANS & WATERPUMP & DVDRW

• 2 weeks later...
Thx Ramguy and Yellowbeard

done a little diagram of how it will be wired up so

so does that config look correct

Once again THX

Looks correct as far as I can tell. Of course, the PSU is actually upside down (fan would be facing up) in the diagram... Something to bear in mind when plugging your cables in. I guess the key point to remember is that the 12v1 plugs are the ones next to the fixed cables, and the rest are 12v2.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/252/hx1000wgtx480setup.jpg

so does that config look correct

Can Ramguy or Yellowbeard confirm that this wiring diagram is correct? I essentially have the same exact loadout as Samarlian, and I want to be sure that I am wiring my HX1000W correctly as well.

• Corsair Employee
Can Ramguy or Yellowbeard confirm that this wiring diagram is correct? I essentially have the same exact loadout as Samarlian, and I want to be sure that I am wiring my HX1000W correctly as well.

That's perfect! Looks like everything is hooked up to the ideal port on the PSU.

• 1 year later...

Archived