Corsair Community

ASRock Z68 PRO GEN3 + Core i7 2700k

wmbell

Getting ready to build the ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 + Core i7 2700k combo.

To my knowledge, the CPU cooler that I plan to use (CoolerMaster V6 GT) will block access to one of my memory slots. So, instead of maxing my future board out at 32GB, it appears that I'll only be able to seat 24GB (8GB x 3).

I've been looking at the 8GB Vengeance series chips, but I'm unsure of which would play well with my setup.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, for your reply.

Please forgive my ignorance, but it's been about 6 years since my last build...

Other than price, what is the difference between the suggested Dominator (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10) and the Vengeance (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)?

I tried using the "Compare" feature of the website, but it appeared to be lacking in details.

I'm assuming that the Dominator chip series is a better product line. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Specs are the same so it's down to the heat spreader.

My guess is that he's recommending the Dominator because you can safely unscrew the top of the heatsink which may allow enough clearance for you to use all 4 sticks. It's not recommended to use 3 sticks on a dual channel setup.

Why do you want that much memory?

Specs are the same so it's down to the heat spreader.

My guess is that he's recommending the Dominator because you can safely unscrew the top of the heatsink which may allow enough clearance for you to use all 4 sticks. It's not recommended to use 3 sticks on a dual channel setup.

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't want to only use 3 sticks, but I thought that was going to be my only option. If removing the heatsink works, this will be AMAZING! Thanks, again! =)

Why do you want that much memory?

I plan to run several virtual machines simultaneously. Maximizing my memory will allow me to maximize my virtual performance!

Archived