Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 will only run at 1333 and not rated speeds

Guitarmageddon

Here is my setup

8gb (2x 4gb sticks) of CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

i7 2600k @ 4.6 (although this problem was observed much lower)

tx750w PSU

SLI GTX 570'S

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

I was fiddling with my overclock over the past few days since Ive gotten the chip and I was getting very frustrated why NO overclock settings would work. I had the ram at their rated speeds and everything at defualt. Eventually, to rule out the memory, I bumped it down to 1333, and voila, everything ran fan. Ive done the stress testing to determine my clocks are stable and they are just fine. The second I put the ram to stock speeds either manually or through XMP, it fails the second pass of linx and IBT.

I ran them 9 passes, about 8+ hours last night at their 1600 speeds, and their were no errors at all.

I tried bumping them from 1.5v all the way to 1.56 and they still error out in stability testing.

I tried bumping up the IMC on the chip (VCCIO) all the way to the max youd want 24/7, and still same thing.

I looked in AIDA 64 at the SPD page to see what the XMP settings were for these sticks and then checked my memory section of BIOS to see exactly what was correct/incorrect on auto. I wasnt exactly sure of the acronyms AIDA used describing the timings vs. what my bios called them, so I did change the few I understood. I went into detail on this problem on the overclock.net forums here, starting at post #17 where my pictures of the specs are located.

Could these just be bum sticks for this board? Should I try switching them out of the reccomended slots on the board (a2 and b2) into the opposite slots?

Any help is greatly appreciated

• Corsair Employee

The modules are correct according to this image you posted on the other forum:

attachment.php?attachmentid=9923&stc=1&d=1325567801

And that is normal if you want to over clock the CPU you may have to lower the memory frequency.

What happens if you go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults (DO NOT Over Clock the CPU) and then enable XMP and disable legacy USB and run 3 passes of http://www.memtest.org?

SPD.png.d0349b0fc6e260739916d6478bcd7435.png

I ran 9 passes of memtest and it came up fine. That was at the correct XMP speeds as well. Doesnt memtest still detect a cpu speed when testing off a bootable usb, or is it done completely outside of the IMC without procesor influence. If thats the case, then wouldnt it pass at 3.8ghz the same as at 4.6? Wouldnt passing 9 passes at XMP speeds in memtest still imply it should be passing in windows?

So an update....

In my old system I had 4gb (2x2 sticks) of ripjaws 1333 cl7 that I had stable at 1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.6v. I took that out and tossed it to the side when I rebuilt this computer and went intel. I put that in today on the overclock settings that were stable on my old system, and what do you know, it works. However, Im skeptical that it did pass the tests at 1600, but its only 4gb instead of the 8gb I have that wont run at 1600. I think the final solution is to buy 8gb of new memory and see what happens.

Archived