Corsair Community

Problems configuring 2x8GB Vengeance 1600 with Intel i5 2500k

Jefe Ryback

Hello everybody

First of all, please excuse if i misspell something, my english isn't so good as it should be. ^_^U

I've a brand new computer mounted from spare parts, you could check my profile for the details. Specifically, the DIMMs are Corsair Vengeance P/N: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9G with a label that claims 1.35V low voltage. It started all OK at the first run but after a few minutes problems begin to happen.

The first time I've run the system, entered into the BIOS and the only memory-related option I'Ve changed was to force the XMP Profile 1 of DIMMS to achieve 1600MHz instead of the basis 1333MHz. I've restarted the system, reentered BIOS and checked that was all OK. Then I've spend a few minutes checking the rest of BIOS options and when reseting again to save chages (just ones SATA-related) the first crash happened.

I've reentered the BIOS, forced defaults, save&reset and reenterd BIOS again. Then i've noticed that MoBo seems to aply 1.50V to DIMMs in auto mode (SPD setings) but also in XMP mode; far above the 1.35V that the product's envelope claims. So I've gone to the DIMM voltage configurations anf forced a downgrade to 1.350V.

This way it seemed to work all OK and i could make a full instal·lation of Windows, drivers, all the win updates and a few basic programs. Then I switched off the system to mount a secondary HD (******** Caviar SE 320GB) from an old PC but status OK so i could dump files. Then i switched on the PC and again it crashed at the begining of the BIOS and showed me again the "overclocking error" related.

So i've gone to Corsair web page to see if there's any info about this model that i'm configuring wrong and whats my surprise... the model doesn't exist at all in webpage. There are the 1600C9 (black shaped), the 1600C9R (red shaped) and the 1600C9B (blue shaped) but not the 1600C9G (that have a kind of metallic half-green half-gold colour). "Don't worry, it's just a name for colour" I thinked. But all those other 3 models are SPD and tested 1.50V, not 1.35V.

So, at this point, I'm really confused and don't know what's the right configuration for those DIMMs. Any help will be welcomed.

Thanks for reading and happy Holidays.

I would just try and raise the voltage to 1.4-1.5 and see if they are stable that way.
The first time I run the system in auto mode, the memories were running at 1.5V as I said. And the crash happens sooner than when I forced the 1.35V.

I've been looking some OC guides in those forums and others and it seems that people says that i should OC the CPU so i could run the memories over the 1333 MHz standard limit. Is it true? Because when I did my setup the only thing i've done is speed up the rams to 1600 using the XMP profile. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for the attention.

I've been looking some OC guides in those forums and others and it seems that people says that i should OC the CPU so i could run the memories over the 1333 MHz standard limit. Is it true? Because when I did my setup the only thing i've done is speed up the rams to 1600 using the XMP profile. Could this be the problem?

Yes and no. AMD users have to overclock the cpu to raise memory frequencies. It's a slightly different process than what an Intel user has to deal with

Now, Intel users have it a little easier. You are still overclocking the CPU but just a specific part of the CPU, the memory controller that resides on the cpu itself. It's more or less the same idea between systems, but a different approach as to how to achieve faster memory fequencies

Your CPU only supports a max frequency of 1333mhz. And you want to run at 1600mhz. So you have to overclock the memory controller to achieve the higher frequency.

Setting XMP SHOULD take care of setting timings and frequencies for the memory controller. What you can try is to go ahead and load set up defaults, and THEN enable the XMP profile, and give your memory controller voltage a slight bump up and see if it is more stable. Add just .2 volts at first and test it again. Memory controller voltage should be labeled VCCIO voltage. Or it could be called QPI?VTT voltage or something real close. I'm sorry but every BIOS is different and without being able to see the list of options i cant tell you for sure what it is.

Speaking of BIOS's, you should also see if there are any updates available for your MB and if there is flash to the latest before trying to load XMP. If there are no updates , just proceed with the above.

I've reentered the BIOS, forced defaults, save&reset and reenterd BIOS again. Then i've noticed that MoBo seems to aply 1.50V to DIMMs in auto mode (SPD setings) but also in XMP mode; far above the 1.35V that the product's envelope claims. So I've gone to the DIMM voltage configurations anf forced a downgrade to 1.350V.

I looked up the kit and these are 1.5v DIMMS. I'm not sure where you are seeing 1.35v. What does the sticker say on the label of the memory itself.

As far as i know, only the low profile vengeance are rated at 1.35v and the correct voltage for your set is 1.5v.

I realize i sad they should run at 1.35v, but i thought you had the LP set. So that information would have been incorrect. Sorry about that.

Thanks por the tips about the tunning of the memory controller peanutz94, i will try them soon and tell us here the result.

And about the voltage of the memory, it's marked as 1.35V both in the label attached to the DIMMS and also in the front of the envelope (there it appears clearly "LOW VOLTAGE 1.35V"). As I said in the first post, it's really strange because this exact part number doesn't appear on the web and the ones more similar are all 1.5V.

It's also strange that the two system crashes I suffered don't happened when system is running but just after a non-forced restart. Then, just when the BIOS begin to load, some strange behavior heppened and i've been forced to use reset button until the PC bots again but showing an error message about OC related problems.

It seems more a problem about BIOS don't understanding/setting up well the configs than an unstability when working. :sigh!:

It's also strange that the two system crashes I suffered don't happened when system is running but just after a non-forced restart. Then, just when the BIOS begin to load, some strange behavior heppened and i've been forced to use reset button until the PC bots again but showing an error message about OC related problems.

If the sticks say 1.35v then run them at 1.35v. However, given your last staement i really dont think you have a RAM issue as much as you do a MB issue. That board is just not acting right and if there are no newer BIOS's available i would think about RMAing it.

Might need to raise the voltage on the controller...like mine ..A XFX 790i Ultra SLI..Turned up the voltage on the spp to 1.45 volts and now have 16 giigs of vengence in it. Although offical max is 8 gigs with 2 gig sticks :)..Ram voltage 1.575

Archived