Corsair Community

H100i v2 USB not detected and seeking clarification

stem1608

Greetings Forum Users/Experts,

My apology for raising the same issue that has been known and has been discussed for quite some time.

I bought H100i v2 last Friday and spent some time over the weekend to install it in my PC.

My setup:

• Connect the H100i v2 3 pin pump lead into CHA-FAN 3
  • Connect the H100i v2 cooling fan into CPU-FAN and CPU-FAN-OPT leads.
  • Connect the H100i v2 USB into one of the motherboard USB port
  • Boot up the PC
  • Disable Qfan control for CHA-FAN 3 in my motherboard (set to DC and full speed)
  • Set Qfan control for CPU-FAN to PWM and adjust the curve.
  • Save settings then reboot
  • Pump light shown white colour, cooling fan worked as expected
  • Make sure drivers for motherboard, ports etc are up to date
  • Install Corsair Link 4 (no AI Suite or other monitoring tool installed)

Issues that I have:

• Corsair link can not detect H100i v2
  • No new items in device manager related to the H100i v2 or anything shown in device and printers

Steps to debug:

• Used SIV to check. No indication of Corsair Integrated USB bus and no AIO detected in the link devices.
  • SIV indicated the following:
  • CHA-FAN 3 speed is around 1430 rpm (is this the pump speed? I thought Asetek pump can only report the pump speed via USB)
  • CPU-FAN and CPU-FAN OPT is around 1100 rpm (i believe these are my H100i v2 fans so it is correct)

Tried to change my setting based on corsair recommendation (connected pump lead to CPU-FAN, turn off qFAN control for CPU-FAN, connect both fans to the pump fan lead), no luck with this approach either, but I do notice SIV indicate my CPU-FAN speed is around 1430 rpm

Further steps

Follow existing suggestions in this forum to reinstall Corsair Link

Tried to connect the pump into motherboard external USB port using different mini USB cable

End results:

No matter what I do with fan arrangement H100i v2 can not be detected in Device Manager and/or Corsair Link

My questions:

1. Have I done all that I can to debug the issue? and it is time for me to RMA this product?

2. I am curious about the rpm reported by the pump lead? is this a 50% pump rpm version because I heard that the asetek pump rpm is around 2900 +/- 5%

Any thoughts/comments?

I am at a loss as to what the "around 1430 rpm" reported via the "3 pin pump lead" is. AFAIK this should be a fan speed and is for my H80iGT, but I don't have a H100iV2 to check and AFAIK Corsair have not specified what is reported.

Either way your testing has covered all I can think of and I suspect there must be a hardware issue and will need to RMA the H100iV2. The bottom line is that if Devices and Printers fails to report the cooler there is a hardware issue and no software will be able to report the cooler.

2. So am I. I recall several other posts where this speed did not make sense and it would be good if you asked https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp what this is and posted what they say.

BTW in your PC specs you should specify the Z170 Pro Gaming maker and the W10 build number (there are 3 different released W10s see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history).

SIV will report a working H100iV2 as Corsair H100iV2 Hydro Series 7289 USB Device and so will Device Manager + Devices and Printers if you press the [Restart] button.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26589&stc=1&d=1474876689

Searching through SIV save files I found as below which supports the guess that half the pump speed is reported to the CPU_FAN header. If you have a H100iV2 please can you change the pump speed and see if the speed reported to the CPU_FAN header changes in phase?

attachment.php?attachmentid=26590&stc=1&d=1474877761

Note that the low H100iV2 sample counts are down to one of the bugs (interlocking semantics are incorrect) in CL v4.3.0.154 and earlier, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=871675.

433258541_LinkDevicesforH100iV2.thumb.png.3f52dec6be69f5467155529728fed759.png

25037629_CoolingStatuswithH100iV2.png.fefa1cb17ad5de629e40f3cc08bca721.png

Greetings Red-Ray,

Thank you for reading my post and for the response.

My motherboard is Asus Z170 Pro Gaming bios rev 1805 (bit old because I have not got the chance to update it)

Windows 10 pro 64 bit ver6.3 build 14393

I had a quick look and decided to tweak CHA-FAN3 (attached to the 3 pin pump lead) in DC mode. I decided to adjust the curve and reduce the fan speed. I am actually able to reduce the rpm to around 1100 (30% less) (see siv cooling attachment).

I'll post a question to corsair and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Cooling.thumb.png.387f6d2418401de7c8871a390f4a1c21.png

Windows 10 pro 64 bit ver6.3 build 14393

I had a quick look and decided to tweak CHA-FAN3 (attached to the 3 pin pump lead) in DC mode. I decided to adjust the curve and reduce the fan speed. I am actually able to reduce the rpm to around 1100 (30% less) (see siv cooling attachment).

No, it's not "ver6.3", though there is some rubbish in the registry that says this. Just quote the build number ;):

By doing this you are shooting yourself in the foot! All Asetek coolers such as the H100iV2 need a constant +12 volts to operate as designed. The power is there to power the controller not the pump and if you fail to supply a constant +12 volts lots of strange things are likely to happen.

Greetings,

Red-ray, what I did in CHA-FAN3 (connected to pump) was only for experiment and not more than 5 minute exercise. I switched off the QFAN controller for CHA-FAN3 and the rpm is back to 1430 rpm. I am aware of the strange things that can happen with lowering the voltage to the controller. I will try to put more load in the CPU and check the CHA-FAN3 reading again.

At this stage I am planning to RMA the H100i v2 and have reported the strange 1430 rpm reading in CHA-FAN3.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

About a week ago I decided to take my H100i back to the seller for RMA. The tech guy in the store decided to test the USB connection between H100i and the mainboard. Quite interesting:

1. The USB cable from Corsair did not work at all. He took a new cable from a new unit and test the H100i and it did not work either.

2. He used a mini USB cable used by his external HDD and voila it worked, the PC can recognize the unit.

3. Still not satisfied, he tried another brand new mini USB cable from the shelf and it did not work with H100i unit.

At this stage the seller said to me that he can not guarantee on whether a new corsair H100i unit will work with the original cable so he offered me a refund. So I decided to take a plunge and get the H100i exchange with H110i (only cost me extra 5 dollar)

H110i worked perfectly with my system no issue or whatsoever. I've noticed the H110i USB cable is thicker and better build compare to the H100i.

Thus end my adventure with H100i. (I am still curious why the system worked with a mini USB for external HDD and not the other)

I decided to take a plunge and get the H100i exchange with H110i (only cost me extra 5 dollar)

H110i worked perfectly with my system no issue or whatsoever. I've noticed the H110i USB cable is thicker and better build compare to the H100i.

The H110i is made by CoolIT and the H100iV2 by Asetek. All in all the H110i is a far better cooler, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986

Hello RedRay,

Thanks for the feedback. Your SIV tool is brilliant. I am still a bit curious with h100i. I like the size of h100i compare to h110i. Too bad it did not work for me. H110i is very stable and keep my overclocked i7 6700k happy.

I have an older i5 2500k and i've been looking at h80i. Is it by asetek or coolit?

Regards

Archived