Corsair Community

gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p with twin2x4096-8500c5d

marv

bought a new gigabyte board, a phenom 2 940, and 8 gigs of ram--won't work at 1066mhz with 8 or 4 gigs of memory.

when i got everything up and running, i noticed that the board defaulted to 800mhz with 8 gigs installed. no problem. i installed vista home premium x64 and was very pleased and surprised at the speed at which it installed. i had absolutely no problems with the install and subsequently running the operating system. the first thing i did after the os install was to update the board bios. still no problems, that is until i tried to set the speed to the 1066mhz settings. no sooner than when i rebooted and logged into windows, i got the first (of many) bsod's. went back to the bios set the memory controller to ganged (unganged is the default). rebooted and bsod. back to bios. changed ram timings to epp-reboot-bsod. i overlooked the fact that i had not upped the voltage to epp rating at first, so i set the voltage to 2.1v, had the timings to 5-5-5-15-2t-22 and mem controller to unganged-reboot-bsod. grabbed my laptop and scoured many different forums for help. one commonality i saw with everyone running a phenom 2 was that the overwhelming majority of users had only 4 gigs of ram and had reported their ram ran flawless at 1066mhz. ok, i removed two sticks, double checked all of my ram timings--all good--and went for a clean install. i must say that it loaded faster than with the 8 gigs--seriously. when windows finally loaded and i logged in, the computer ran in a blur! it was incredibly fast! started loading applications... got about 15 apps loaded and bingo--bsod! i'm lost. i fire up memtest86+ and check each stick--all check good. so i tucked my tail, installed all four sticks, went into bios and set the ram to jdec#2: 800mhz, 5-5-5-18-2t-24, mem controller unganged and voltage to 1.8v. (computer runs flawlessly at jdec#2 settings--not one bsod at anytime to date. computer is fast and snappy, but nowhere near how it ran for its "15 minutes of fame" with the 4 gigs @ 1066 at epp settings. i dream for that speed. i wouldn't even mind if i had to cut back to 4 gigs for the computer to run at 1066--as long as it would run at 1066 stable)

what went wrong?

and i want to add that the majority of the bsod's were page fault errors (i only kept the stop codes long enough for me to research them otherwise i would have provided them here). there were a few system service exception and irq not less or equal errors too. everything was pointing to my hardware and as i stated, i did run memtest86+ (2.11). oh, and one other thing, sorry about the mix up, but the ram i have is twin2x4096-8500c5, not c5d.

(did i just buy modules that aren't fully compatible with my board? after posting this post, i rechecked the board's qvl for ram and it has the 'c5d' modules listed in 1 & 2 gig capacities--those were the only modules listed, not the 8500c5)

these two are the same? o.k.--i see the obvious difference in the heat spreaders, but xms2 is the same as dominator? what, one has a better heat spreader and is sold for double of the other?

xms2.jpg.3113ce8c3bb14071cc12b8cec28de0f3.jpg

dominator.jpg.9a52f912f2f806063c43e570e387d656.jpg

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

@ram guy: i still have the system with 4 modules and have set the voltages according to your previous post. however, with 2 sticks, i still cannot get the modules to run at 1066. i tried again to run two sticks @ 2.1v, 5-5-5-15-22-2t and i got a blue screen twice (both times running prime95 and immediately when starting the test). the stop code was: 0x00000124, both times. to reiterate, though, i don't have any problem at all running the modules--2 or 4--at the jdec#2 settings. is there a particular incompatibility or quirk with this board that won't allow the ram to run at the 1066 speed?

I'm also getting BSODs once I try to run these chips at 1066MHz. Same Gigabyte board; Phenom II 940 Q4 socket AM2+ processor. I had the timing settings at 5-5-5-15-2T, 2.1V, and after the first BSOD, I ran Microsoft's Memdiag - it FROZE in test 4 (Strike6, Cache Enabled), which I suppose is the "black screen of death". NOTE when I drop the DRAM settings back to bios defaults, the memory runs at 800MHz and all seems to be well, including all 11 Memdiag tests.

SETTINGS I MADE:

• Set memory clock =Manual; x5.33 = 1066MHz
  • DDR2 Voltage +0.25V = 2.1V
  • CAS# latency = 5T
  • RAS to CAS R/W delay = 5T
  • Row Precharge Time = 5T
  • Minimum RAS ACtive Time = 15T
  • 1T/2T Command Timing = 2T

SETTINGS NOT CHANGED:
  • TwTr Command Delay (3T)
  • Trfc0 DIMM1 (127.5ns)
  • Trfc2 DIMM2 (127.5ns)
  • Trfc1 DIMM3 (75ns)
  • Trfc3 DIMM4 (75ns)
  • Write Recovery Time (6T)
  • Precharge Time (3T)
  • Row Cycle Time (24T)
  • RAS to RAS Delay (3T)
  • DCTs Mode (unganged)
  • HT Link Frequency (Auto; EPP disabled; EPP voltage control Normal)
  • CPU Clock Ratio (Auto)
  • CPU Northbridge Freq. (Auto)
  • CPU Host Clock Control (Auto; CPU Freq=200MHz)
  • PCIE Clock(MHz) (Auto)
  • VGA Core clock control (Disabled; VGA Core Clock = 700MHz)
  • Southbridge Volt Control (Normal)
  • Sideport Mem Volt Control (Normal)
  • Northbridge Volt Control (Normal)
  • CPU NB Vid Control (Normal)
  • CPU Voltage Control (Normal; Normal CPU VCore = 1.3500V)

***** DO I NEED TO CHANGE SOME OF THESE "OTHER" SETTINGS in the Award BIOS?

***** ALSO Should I enable EPP?

d.v.v.

@ram guy: i still have the system with 4 modules and have set the voltages according to your previous post. however, with 2 sticks, i still cannot get the modules to run at 1066. i tried again to run two sticks @ 2.1v, 5-5-5-15-22-2t and i got a blue screen twice (both times running prime95 and immediately when starting the test). the stop code was: 0x00000124, both times. to reiterate, though, i don't have any problem at all running the modules--2 or 4--at the jdec#2 settings. is there a particular incompatibility or quirk with this board that won't allow the ram to run at the 1066 speed?

should i try to check stability by running the modules in single channel mode? how much of a hit would i take performance-wise?

• Corsair Employee

With 4 modules you will not be able to run them at DDR1066 I stated that previously.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

With 4 modules you will not be able to run them at DDR1066 I stated that previously.

i apologize for any confusion, but i was [trying to] state that whenever i tried to run the modules at 1066, i would only have two installed. and for the purpose of single channel mode, i know i'd have to run two modules also.

i just found out that gigabyte released a bios update on the 21st (yeah, i'm a week late). i have updated the bios and will try again to see if i can get 1066 with two modules.

i think i'm going to give up on the 1066 and keep the 4 modules at 800. i thought that the bios update fixed the problem i was having. i removed two modules and set the board to run at the epp settings plus the nb voltage +.2v. when i rebooted, i ran prime95's blend test and got a bsod (0x00000050). i rebooted again, keeping the same settings, ran prime95 again, but ran the small fft's test. to my surprise (or maybe not because it states that it doesn't test much ram), but the test lasted about 7 minutes until... ta da--another bsod (0x000000F4). again, i rebooted and just let the system run without any apps running except for the ones that load with windows. about 5 minutes without me touching anything, the system started giving me pop-ups indicating system processes were shutting down (one was plug and play service quitting which required yet another reboot).

so the end of my story is this: i cannot get two modules to run at 1066 at any circumstance and with 4 modules at 800 set to jdec#2, my system is very stable. so, i'll stick with my current set up.

thanks for your help.

so the end of my story is this: i cannot get two modules to run at 1066 at any circumstance and with 4 modules at 800 set to jdec#2, my system is very stable. so, i'll stick with my current set up.

This is what I am finding with my Phenom/Phenom II installations. There are some more and not some few issues with 1066 and Phenom/II with DDR2 and Phenom II DDR3 and high end memory speeds.

I now advise 800Mhz as the most guaranteed DDR2 and 1333Mhz for the DDR3 platform and that is with two or four slots being populated.

• 4 weeks later...

I have same problem On ASUS M3HD-HDMI... I think this business stinks...This should by all account run with my mobo amd Phenom II X4 940

Hard earned cash thrown away....In all cases I know of , if the product doesn't do what it says on the box then it is faulty... the manufacturer should have the responsibilty to say this RAM is not compatiable with AMD phonem II CPU or whatever..

Wish I could get a refund

Archived