Corsair Community

TX650 V2 is much louder than I would have thought

Furtivedog

I recently assembled a new computer, and used a TX650 V2 for the PSU. While the overall quality is very high, the unit seems quite loud - it's easily the loudest thing in the case unless I do something stupid like stress the GPU with furmark or something.

It's not a buzz or click sound, just fan noise, but it seems MUCH louder than it should be, and does not get louder/softer as load changes. Ambient temperature is 20-22c, so not too warm.

I got curious about it and removed it from the case, bridged the relevant connectors with a paperclip, and it was just as loud. Like I said, not terribly loud, but the loudest component, whihc is not what I expected.

Using "dB Volume" for iPhone (yes, not the best device, I know, it's what I have though), the PSU was registering at 50dB from 10cm away (from the side, not in front of the outlet) and the same volume when the phone was placed on top of it. When placed on top of the computer case, the phone shows 40dB.

For reference, the phone shows 30dB in mostly-quiet room (nothing else happening in the house but normal suburban noise outside), and shows between 60dB and 70dB if I stand on the side of the street as a car goes past at ~50km/h.

The PSU's box seems to suggest that it will produce between 25dB and 40dB depending on load, but it seems significantly louder than that and isn't changing as load changes.

What's next? I'm competent enough to solder things, but I'd rather not open the PSU if I don't have to.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks mate!

Only issue is, I'm in Australia and postage to any of your depots will be prohibitive (and also I can't really be without a PSU for even a week, and I imagin eany overseas postage/return process will take longer than that).

Is there a way I could arrange a return to the vendor through you guys? I mean, if I could return my current unit to them for a replacement, and they could give me a new one and arrange the rest of the procedure with you? The place I bought it from was PC Case Gear in Melbourne, they're on your list of official Australian suppliers. Or possibly some kind of cross hipping from the nearest depot? Or anything other than a couple of weeks turnaround and huge postage costs?

Riiiiight...

The cheapest postage I can possibly do to Taiwan is 60 bucks, so half the price I paid for the unit in the first place.

I can ship the product to the retailer (about 10 bucks) who will "test" the unit, and if it's not found faulty (and there's no guarantee they'll even test it, is there?) they'll charge me $25 and then ship it back to me for $15 or so (no option to pick it up, apparently) - so best case scenario I pay $10 and it all works out, and worst case I pay $50 and get the same unit back.

Your "warranty" process is pretty awful - Sure, you'll replace it... maybe... if I pay half of what I originally paid.

What's the point of having "official" retailers if they can't arrange an RMA that's already been approved by you?

• Corsair Employee
Warranty through you reseller will fall under their rules for replacement, sorry but we cannot tell a reseller how to run their business. I would contact our customer service and see what they suggest. Or let me know the case number once you submit the RMA and I can ask them to conatct you.

OK, I contacted customer service on Thursday, explained the problem, explained that I would happily ship anywhere in Australia or preferably drop the unit off within 50km of Melbourne, and was told that a supervisor would review my case and be in contact shortly.

I got an auto-generated email this morning (Tuesday) with an RMA number... and instructions to ship to Hong Kong. That will cost the exact same amount as shipping to Taiwain, which I am categorically not going to do. Case number is 2304860, and RMA number is 1258210.

Sorry to keep complaining about this, but I still haven't received that shipping label.

It's been 13 days since I first contacted customer support, 6 days since "A shipping label is being prepared" and 24 hours since "You should get it tomorrow".

6 days? It can't be that hard to get this to happen.

Also, I have repeatedly asked for an estimate of the repair/replacement time and received nothing. I understand that shipping both ways is out of your control, but estimating the actual time to process the replacement/repair has got to be something Corsair can do.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but we do not have access to that information in tech support and customer service does not monitor the forum. The only thing I can do is send them a message but I would need your case number! Or you can call them and you can install skype and call the toll free number listed under Contact on the main web site.

Shipping was sorted out, which was awesome, but the replacement has the same problem. What are the odds?

Again, it's not capacitor whine or electrical noise, it's just a loud fan. Again, it doesn't speed up/down under load or at idle.

I tested it outside the case first, and while it was slightly quieter (obviously) than the whole computer, it was still significantly louder than "almost silent", which is what other people are saying about the same unit.

To be absolutely clear, I should be able to hear the difference between idle and load, right? I have an i5 2500k, 560ti, and two HDDs - I run BOINC all the time, and turning it off doesn't change the noise of the PSU. If I leave BOINC running and start up Furmark, I can hear the GPU fans spin up but the PSU remains at the same volume. Running OCCT or Unigine for half an hour produces similar results - I can hear the GPU fans spin up if stressed, and maybe a tiny noise from the Hyper212+, but no difference from the PSU fan (that is, it sounds exactly the same as running it outside the case with just a (stopped) case fan attached).

just corsair fan are loud.

This fan on 3 v is loud i tested it , so if minimum voltage from psu is 4/5 volts

it will be loud you cant do nothing if you still on warranty if you do not care about warranty do fan swap i did this and i have peace and quiet

3v - loud

4-5v really loud

12v it` mega loud like gpu fan on max

Any way corsair PSU are the best i played 4 hour GTA4 and psu was just cold my last two 750w psu (noname) blow up after 2 - 3 hours

• 2 weeks later...
just corsair fan are loud.

So I've apparently discovered.

Unfortunately, that's not what it says on the box, and if that was what it said on the box, I'd never have bought one.

This is not 25, or even 35 decibels, it's not hot here and it's not under heavy load (and the fan's not adjusting speed on warm days anyway).

The PSU shouldn't be the loudest component in the system. It's completely ridiculous, especially for something advertised as "ultra-quiet" and "exceptionally low noise levels" - direct quotes from this website.

It's really disappointing, especially since every other component in the system is working exactly as advertised.

I've been reseraching this and ran into this thread.

When my computer is idling, the fan runs at 1700-1800. From the research I've done, this is normal.

I purchased this originally becase it was advertised as whisper quiet. That's the FURTHEST thing from the truth. I sound deadened my system and this this is beyond louder than the Earthwatts I had before it and like yourself is the loudest fan in my system...by far. VERY disappointed.

I've been reseraching this and ran into this thread.

When my computer is idling, the fan runs at 1700-1800. From the research I've done, this is normal...

Just curious, how do you know the fan is running at that speed?

The 140mm fan in all the V2 series PS, is a Yate Loon D14BH-12 ball bearing fan, factory rated at 2800 RPM max. That is a high speed for a 140mm fan, the highest I can recall seeing.

Corsair can control the speed of course, and not allow it to run at top speed. Even at ~2000 RPM, it would likely be fairly loud.

From the OP's description, it sounds to me like the fan speed control has failed, and the fan is running wide open all the time, perhaps even higher in speed than it is meant to be allowed to run.

You are not the only one. I first bought my TX650 a year ago and it used to have 120mm fan. Last week it started making buzzing noise, got a replacement the new version with 140mm fan I guess, because it was twice as big.

Compare to my old one, this new one is WAY too loud. It is the loudest thing in my case and very annoying. Corsair should do something about that, as their power supply's used to be quieter before, but now they went with bigger fan and faster speed? I thought if you go with bigger fan, your speed should be slower?

Corsair have admitted there was a fault by saying "RMA it" (I guess that's what counts as the "legendary tech support" in the ad copy), and when the problem persists with the new unit, the solution is... ignore everything and hope it goes away.

At least the support performs consistently with the product, I guess - not up to the level promised.

• Corsair Employee
Corsair have admitted there was a fault by saying "RMA it" (I guess that's what counts as the "legendary tech support" in the ad copy), and when the problem persists with the new unit, the solution is... ignore everything and hope it goes away.

At least the support performs consistently with the product, I guess - not up to the level promised.

You obviously have not worked with us before, when we offer an RMA; it is because a few reasons.

1. The information provided suggested an RMA

2. The information provided leave's some doubt and an RMA was issued to try to help isolate the fault.

3. Information provided did not provide evidence to support an RMA but the user does not have the resources to properly test the issue.

Many times I have suggested an RMA knowing the chance is high that replacing our part of a users system will not solve the problem, However, that may be the only option available to us to try and solve the issue.

You have to remember that we are not there and we can see feel and touch your system and sometimes its hard for us to help you but we try to do our best. Ultimately you should be able to trouble shoot your issues that may crop up, if not we can only make suggestions based on what you provide.

And there can be many variables that may prevent troubleshooting an issue over a forum. So if you think that we can solve all of the problem that is a miss conception on your part, I am sorry but that is just the truth. We are here to help you and make suggestions but when you build or repair your own computer you take on that responsibility and should know how to trouble shoot and or test the hardware in question.

... (I guess that's what counts as the "legendary tech support" in the ad copy)...

Just curious, what would you consider legendary tech support?

This forum is not the technical support contact point, that is done elsewhere, but providing RMA assistance is done in the forums, whether or not it really is meant to be.

Simple technical support happens in the forums via the moderators and forum members. But that is not the extent of Corsair's technical support.

What manufacture do you feel provides legendary support?

What manufacture do you feel provides legendary support?

Anyone who doesn't take 19 days to respond to someone saying "Hey, the replacement arrived and I think it's faulty too".

Seriously. I posted on the 19th of last month asking for clarification on what I should be able to hear when the system is under load / under no load. No answer except a few people going "yeah mine's too loud too".

You obviously have not worked with us before, when we offer an RMA; it is because a few reasons.

1. The information provided suggested an RMA

2. The information provided leave's some doubt and an RMA was issued to try to help isolate the fault.

3. Information provided did not provide evidence to support an RMA but the user does not have the resources to properly test the issue.

Many times I have suggested an RMA knowing the chance is high that replacing our part of a users system will not solve the problem, However, that may be the only option available to us to try and solve the issue.

You have to remember that we are not there and we can see feel and touch your system and sometimes its hard for us to help you but we try to do our best. Ultimately you should be able to trouble shoot your issues that may crop up, if not we can only make suggestions based on what you provide.

And there can be many variables that may prevent troubleshooting an issue over a forum. So if you think that we can solve all of the problem that is a miss conception on your part, I am sorry but that is just the truth. We are here to help you and make suggestions but when you build or repair your own computer you take on that responsibility and should know how to trouble shoot and or test the hardware in question.

I'm somewhat confused by you saying that I should be able to troubleshoot my own issues, when the unit at fault has "contains no user servicable parts" printed on its case and opening it would void the warranty.

So what do you suggest I do next, as far as troubleshooting/testing goes? The symptoms are the same as before. The fan's going very quickly and is very loud, and it doesn't speed up or slow down when the system is loaded / idle, and sounds the same when I remove the PSU from the PC and perform the paperclip test. Is the new unit also faulty?

The fact that the very first troubleshooting step beyond what I said I'd already done was "send it back" implies that this is a known, common issue, and reading the rest of this forum bears that opinion out pretty well - every page has a couple of "the fan speed is not adjusting" posts on it. How would you like me to react to the non-communication after my post that the replacement was doing the exact same thing?

Archived