Corsair Community

Problems with New LED Vengenance

HonorBound

Posting here because I don't know how to proceed.

I have put together an X99 system using the Vengeance LED RAM. I picked out a 4x16gb kit. Part no. CMU64GX4M4A2666C16.

The system went together with no issues. After 2 days the system refused to post with one of the 4 RAM modules in. Removing the module allowed me to continue with 3, until the next day when a second stick died.

I then began an RMA process with Corsair, as they currently did not have any in stock to send me, I returned the RAM to NewEgg for an identical Quad Channel kit.

I got replacement kit on 7/18. First stick died yesterday on the replacement kit after some light gaming and a reboot. Second stick dies shortly after.

I do not know what is causing this issue, and I find it hard to believe that two sticks in both kits have gone faulty.

So do I RMA with Corsair? Return to Newegg again for another kit? Return the Motherboard? PSU? Just don't know where to go here.

Some more info:

Doesn't seem to care whether XMP is on or off I have had sticks go both ways.

Hardware:

GA-X99-Gaming-Ultra

i7-6800k

AX1200i Power Supply

I do have a small overclock on the CPU, but RAM doesn't post whether it is overclocked or not.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
Posting here because I don't know how to proceed.

I have put together an X99 system using the Vengeance LED RAM. I picked out a 4x16gb kit. Part no. CMU64GX4M4A2666C16.

The system went together with no issues. After 2 days the system refused to post with one of the 4 RAM modules in. Removing the module allowed me to continue with 3, until the next day when a second stick died.

I then began an RMA process with Corsair, as they currently did not have any in stock to send me, I returned the RAM to NewEgg for an identical Quad Channel kit.

I got replacement kit on 7/18. First stick died yesterday on the replacement kit after some light gaming and a reboot. Second stick dies shortly after.

I do not know what is causing this issue, and I find it hard to believe that two sticks in both kits have gone faulty.

So do I RMA with Corsair? Return to Newegg again for another kit? Return the Motherboard? PSU? Just don't know where to go here.

Some more info:

Doesn't seem to care whether XMP is on or off I have had sticks go both ways.

Hardware:

GA-X99-Gaming-Ultra

i7-6800k

AX1200i Power Supply

I do have a small overclock on the CPU, but RAM doesn't post whether it is overclocked or not.

Are the sticks that are dying on the same slots? From what you've described this is looking like a motherboard issue.

It has been different slots every time.

One other thing I have noticed, I don't know if this is related or not, but usually right before one of the sticks went bad I would notice that the LED pulse effect would start going really slow.

I would then reboot, and soon after I would have problems with the build posting.

I have a ticket opened with Gigabyte, the board shows compatibility with 2666 mhz memory and with similar timings.

BIOS shows DRAM voltage as 1.22v but cpu-z says voltage for that xmp profile should be 1.20v. I tried setting the voltage manually to 1.20v but still shows 1.22.

I am getting the same model board. I actually really like the bios and the performance was great, when it was working properly. I just can't overlook that it destroyed two ram kits in less than two weeks, so hopefully it was just a bad board.

FedEx picked up the stuff today, has to go to California than 2-5 days processing on the replacement.

Might not hear back from me for a bit, but I will keep this updated.

Okay here is an update.

Decided not to go with the same board, but instead went with the

GA-X99-Designare EX (rev. 1.0), another new X99 board that supports broadwell-e out of the box.

System is up and running with the same memory kit as before (my 3rd one).

i7-6800k oc'd to 4.1 ghz at 1.276 vcore

Ram is at 2666 mhz and timings are set manually (don't think xmp support on this board is great yet.

One thing I noticed is that with auto voltage on the DRAM they were bouncing between 1.210 v and 1.221v and sometimes would not be the same voltage.

I went into DRAM voltage settings and even though i set 1.200v manually on both channel it was the same as auto bouncing between 1.21 and 1.22. So I lowered it until the bios properly read 1.200v.

Gamed quite a bit last night everything seems stable, one thing has been bothering me though. This has happened on all the LED vengeance kits that I have had including the two that I burned up already. They all seem to pulse fine in bios, and at the windows login screen, but occasionally sometimes after login, sometimes after a moderate work load, the lighting effects malfunction. Usually one stick or another, they start to pulse VERY slow. I have uploaded this video. Take a Look. The Right most RAM stick lights up at 37 secs, and then does not shut off the led until 2:45 secs. I have found that power cycling the system will sometimes get rid of this, until it happens again.

[ame]

[/ame]

It's fairly normal to see some voltage fluctuation on the two AB and CD sides of memory bank. My X99 does this as well across three different kits and two boards as measured by AIDA. Whether or not the fluctuations are really so dramatic and whether the reading is that precise is another matter. Voltage is never completely static anyway. I also see a 0.01 variance for the memory voltage and it has not been an obstacle. I suspect it would only become an issue when using XMP, with a pre-assigned voltage that was just barely enough to be stable. Yours is on the plus side, so if it really is that precise, you would be on the safe zone anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay here is an update.

Decided not to go with the same board, but instead went with the

GA-X99-Designare EX (rev. 1.0), another new X99 board that supports broadwell-e out of the box.

System is up and running with the same memory kit as before (my 3rd one).

i7-6800k oc'd to 4.1 ghz at 1.276 vcore

Ram is at 2666 mhz and timings are set manually (don't think xmp support on this board is great yet.

One thing I noticed is that with auto voltage on the DRAM they were bouncing between 1.210 v and 1.221v and sometimes would not be the same voltage.

I went into DRAM voltage settings and even though i set 1.200v manually on both channel it was the same as auto bouncing between 1.21 and 1.22. So I lowered it until the bios properly read 1.200v.

Gamed quite a bit last night everything seems stable, one thing has been bothering me though. This has happened on all the LED vengeance kits that I have had including the two that I burned up already. They all seem to pulse fine in bios, and at the windows login screen, but occasionally sometimes after login, sometimes after a moderate work load, the lighting effects malfunction. Usually one stick or another, they start to pulse VERY slow. I have uploaded this video. Take a Look. The Right most RAM stick lights up at 37 secs, and then does not shut off the led until 2:45 secs. I have found that power cycling the system will sometimes get rid of this, until it happens again.

I just want to mention I'm having the same issue. With the very slow pulsate, I'm running 4x8GB 32GB kit. With XMP turned on in BIOS, the stick in slot DIMM A1 would have this issue. Turned off XMP reboot, stick in A1 would pulsate correctly, however, stick in DIMM C1 would pulsate extremely slow eventually not even light up anymore.

I'm not sure if I should RMA the memory or if there might be a fix down the road with managing the LED with corsair link or some other method? Sounds like this is happening to a lot of kits?

Ya still having this issue. It is intermittent. Sometimes the pulse effects work properly, other times it acts like the video.

Are any of you having the same issue using gigabyte mobos?

Same issue in Asus Rampage Edition 10 and now with 2 sticks.... I want them to be on all the time so hoping for lighting modes to be released soon but it seems there is an issue with the LED controller so these may have to go back.... Disappointing Corsair hasn't kept up with this thread and offered some kind of update as many seem to be having same issue.

This is unreal. This is my third kit of this RAM and my second board. Same things are happening LED malfunctioning, and today system would not post. Kept power cycling. Pulled RAM 1 by 1 until the system booted. I have a bad stick again.

I am fed up with this RAM. I will not be buying it again and will not recommend it to anyone.

Sub-par quality control on this product.

Returning this memory to the vendor as it is still within 30 days of purchase.

Going to use this opportunity to try out a new manufacturer.

i had same problems. my mobo is gigabyte x99 Designare EX with i7 6850k, no overclock. first day, 4 sticks working fine, second day, 1 stick died, thrid day, other 1 stick died. RMA and got replacement a week later. Then 4 sticks working fine for a week until today. - 1 of stick died again.

Wow, I should have read this thread before buying one of these kits. I have a 4x8 GB kit of these Vengeance LED´s and two of my sticks have now stopped working and I need to return it to my vendor. I have only used them for a week and experienced same symptoms as many of you. Very slow pulsation from the LED´s, could be fixed by reseating the stick but problem would return. As I said now two sticks don´t post in BIOS. Very uncertain if I should accept exchange for a new kit with the continued problems everyones having. :(

*Edit* I´m using an Asus Strix X99 Gaming board.

Man, corsair has been horrible in relaying information. Most anticipated ram release and their support has been abysmal to say the least. What happened to top notch support?

I dunno what happened to RAM GUY but he and YellowBeard are sorely missed on these forums.

I did notice that on my Asus Rampage Edition 10, when XMP was enabled, it set the DRAM voltage to 1.5v and one of my sticks would not function. I manually set the voltage to 1.35 and all is good other than the slow pulsing of the LED lighting. Hope some info of the lighting modes is released soon.

Anyone else use an AX1200i PSU with this RAM? Been the only component in common for me between the two boards

I doubt that any PSU would affect the RAM, since the electricity has to pass through so many millions of other "small" electric components on the motherboard before reaching the RAM.

But hey for the fun of it, Im also using a AX1200i.

Where is Corsair support on this?

Archived