Corsair Community

I believe my RM1000i is dying.

Quixote8

Hi,

Well, after three years of problem-free use, my RM1000i PSU seems to be dying, possibly.

To give you some background, I had begun to experience power on/off loops with my system. I would start up my computer in the normal way, and it would go into a power on/off loop, never posting during that process. This happened around 50% of the time at first, then it began to happen far more frequently. Now, the PSU doesn't seem to allow the system to post at all. It just reverts into a power on/off loop in which it turns the fans on for a second and then shuts down immediately. The basic lights on my motherboard remain on, but the system isn't able to fully start up or post with this PSU.

To preempt your questions, no, I haven't tested my system with a different and known good PSU (because I don't have access to one at the moment).

But, I've tested my current RM1000i via a simple digital tester (not a multimeter), and the numbers are fine, but,even while connected to the digital tester alone, the unit shuts down after a few minutes, or sometimes just after it is turned on. I am not certain if that means anything, but shouldn't it remain on even if it is connected to a tester?

All of this began happening in the last month or so, becoming increasingly worse as the days have passed.

I have put in a ticket with Corsair's website to let them know about the situation. It's still under warranty, as far as I know (5 years, I think), so I have only used it for three years.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? Is it possible for a unit to have numbers that read perfectly in range on a standard digital tester (again, not a multimeter), but yet still have shut-down problems like the ones I've described even while attached to a tester?

Or, has anyone else experienced similar issues with this model or a model like it?

Thanks for any insight.

Can someone just answer this simple question for me:

Should my RMi 1000w PSU be shutting completely down on its own after a few seconds or a minute of being attached to a digital tester like this one?

I would think not, but I just want some input on this from someone who knows better than I would.

If it does shut down while attached to the tester (even if the actual voltage numbers are displayed as perfectly in range), does that indicate the PSU has real problems?

It shouldn't be shutting down when connected to a tester like that. As you mentioned, that's not just a multimeter. I happen to have the Thermaltake version of that device; I quite like it and haven't seen issues like that with any PSU that I have, not just the Corsair ones.

If you didn't have that, I'd ask you if had any indication from your motherboard ... but, surprisingly, it doesn't have a post code readout (it has almost everything else ... that's a nice mobo you got there!). However, if it's happening with the PSU tester, it would indicate to me that it's an issue with the PSU resetting, not the rest of the system.

It's quite odd ... it reminds me of the occasional issues we used to see with older systems that were powered on and off a lot ... connections loosened a bit due to thermal stress and weren't tight until a bit of current warmed things up. It was a thing like ... over 20 years ago.

DevBiker,

Thank you very much for your response. Yeah, it appeared to be dying before my eyes the more I tested it. Even though the actual voltage numbers are all in range and as they should be (12v, 3.3v, 5v, etc.) the frequency of its previously-intermittent but now constant shut-downs while connected to that simple digital tester seemed very unusual. I just wanted to make certain.

Also, the self-test light shows no light whatsoever when I push the button. In other words, there is no red or green light. The fan spins every time I push the button, but no lights to speak of are active. I think it's just dying for whatever reason.

I have put in a ticket with Corsair, so hopefully they will send me a replacement without too much difficulty. It's still under warranty.

Thanks again for your confirmation.

Archived