The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 220 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Wired's Avatar
Wired Wired is offline
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 32,184
POST ID # = 468723
Wired Reputation: 32
Default

SMART has nothing to do with writing to the SSD, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
__________________
No, I don't work for Corsair
...you need to flow like a river...
Forum Rules
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Yellowbeard's Avatar
Yellowbeard Yellowbeard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta,GA, USA.
Posts: 11,531
POST ID # = 468735
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumGuy83 View Post
Whoops, I actually kinda blazed through it and didn't pay too much attention to it (I think I may have A.D.D) Anyways, I'm hoping that someone out there will get the S.M.A.R.T tech down to a tee since benchmarking with ATTO does require you to write to your SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
SMART has nothing to do with writing to the SSD, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
Currently, the suggested method to manually assess SSD health and performance is to run ATTO. However, repeated benchmarking fills up the drive so it is not desirable to bench excessively as this in itself will lead to performance degradation. I think what he means here is that it would be great if you could interpret this type of information correctly with an SSD tool as opposed to having to bench it. However, health status and performance are 2 very different things so even a properly functioning SMART utility will not tell you everything you may want to know.
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Wired's Avatar
Wired Wired is offline
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 32,184
POST ID # = 468736
Wired Reputation: 32
Default

Had to re-read the original comment, gotcha :)
__________________
No, I don't work for Corsair
...you need to flow like a river...
Forum Rules
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
DimSumGuy83 DimSumGuy83 is offline
Registered User
DimSumGuy83's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 19
POST ID # = 468869
DimSumGuy83 Reputation: 10
Default

Yeah, sorry for the weird posts. I was very tired yesterday and couldn't get myself functioning correctly. Anyways, I've been meaning to ask someone; I believe the read/write speeds on the Nova 32gb are 195MB & 70MB respectively. However, I've gotten around 210MB read & around 74MB write on ATTO (which was like 1.5 weeks back) and was wondering why I've gotten higher speeds than stated on the box (not that I'm complaining ) Again, I'm a newb at the whole SSD thing and I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I can about these things (love this SSD too much!)
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM
RAM GUY's Avatar
RAM GUY RAM GUY is offline
Corsair Product Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 118,269
POST ID # = 475859
RAM GUY Reputation: 10
Default

The published specifications are an average and it can vary from one system configuration to another, just because any ones benchmark is 10-15% low or high is no reason to be alarmed, not to mention if its the BOOT drive you are testing the O.S. will use some of the drive bandwidth/Performance for O.S. over head. So in short your drive is performing fine in fact better than spec. and I would not worry.
__________________
Support accounts and tickets can be created at https://support.corsair.com.
Reply With Quote


  #21  
Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 PM
astro astro is offline
Registered User
astro's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
POST ID # = 476705
astro Reputation: 10
Default

I have just installed Fedora 14 on my brand new Force 120 and the disk utility (2.30.1) reports that SMART indicates 832 bad sectors (5 - Reallocated Sectors).

Is there a way to confirm the health of my disk on Linux? I am willing to install any (free) distro if necessary.

I am already having some crashes with firefox and I really need to know if this is because of the disk or something else (cant imagine what though).

If there is no way of confirming this then I will have to return the disk as faulty.
Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Yellowbeard's Avatar
Yellowbeard Yellowbeard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta,GA, USA.
Posts: 11,531
POST ID # = 476713
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Default

1. No, there is no way to reliably verify this with any utility that I am aware of at this time.

2. EVERY device that uses NAND flash is going to show bad sectors. It's the nature of NAND flash to have sectors that do not work. This is true with SSDs, USB FDDs, cell phones, iPods, etc etc etc. So, if you do have bad sectors and this count is accurate, it's about 40KB of bad sectors from 120GB (unformatted value of course).

If your drive malfunctions, we'll gladly replace it. However, I would not suggest an RMA based on what you have posted here.
Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 AM
funkymanu funkymanu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
POST ID # = 476727
funkymanu Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
So what does all of this mean to end users? As stated above, we don't believe that the current SMART tools are completely accurate in their reporting. Our suggestion is to use performance as read by ATTO as a tool to determine if your drive is functioning properly. Remember, no SSD is going to report 100% life left, even fresh out of the box.
See attachment
Untitled.jpg

Last edited by Wired; 11-17-2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Synbios's Avatar
Synbios Synbios is offline
Registered User
Synbios's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,158
POST ID # = 476733
Synbios Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Synbios
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymanu View Post
See attachment
Attachment 7655
This is not true, as the SSD life reporting is not enabled on the drive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no standard way to report life so any manufacturer can come up with their own algorithm to display it; I wouldn't be surprised if Force/Corsair just set the drive to read 100 health all the time so that people would stop getting worried and complaining. So far with 2.0 the health always reads 100%...

Regardless the fact that any manufacturer can design their own health reporting makes the measurement rather unreliable and not useful imo.
Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:12 AM
spokekiller spokekiller is offline
Registered User
spokekiller's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2
POST ID # = 477768
spokekiller Reputation: 10
Default

Hi there,

I just bought a used Nova V64 and for no specific reason checked the smart values under parted magic 5.4 -- out of sheer curiosity, well knowing that SMART is not properly supported (or the other way round) on SSDs of any maker.

Still, would some of you tech guys mind having a look at my attached screenshot and tell me please if these values can be safely ignored or if they in fact really indicate any wear-out (I would not expect so, the drive has been used for just a month).

Before you say "didn't you reads the top posts" rest assured I am not asking because of high temperature values.

This disk is intended for a small groupware server (OS only), so I'd like to be on the safe side.

Thanks a lot.

*Edit* sorry wiping the columns... I cannot fully remember, but the one with the zeroes is "threshold" and right to it is "lifetime worst" If you are lost with the screenshot I can fix it up, just tell me
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot.png (16.3 KB, 846 views)

Last edited by spokekiller; 11-24-2010 at 05:14 AM. Reason: addendum
Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Yellowbeard's Avatar
Yellowbeard Yellowbeard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta,GA, USA.
Posts: 11,531
POST ID # = 477771
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Default

Sorry but, the numbers and information in your screenshot mean absolutely nothing to me. You may want to take a look at the drive with a newer utility like Crystaldisk Info, AIDA64, or similar.
Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:47 AM
spokekiller spokekiller is offline
Registered User
spokekiller's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2
POST ID # = 477773
spokekiller Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
Sorry but, the numbers and information in your screenshot mean absolutely nothing to me. You may want to take a look at the drive with a newer utility like Crystaldisk Info, AIDA64, or similar.
Alright, this is fair. I will do so. I still assume it is a bogus report. If Crystaldisk returns the same I will post again. And thanks for the ultra-fast reply.
Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
corky8613's Avatar
corky8613 corky8613 is offline
Registered User
corky8613's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 34
POST ID # = 478901
corky8613 Reputation: 10
Default

I tried Crystaldisk just for the heck of it and I got 72% life left on my f180 drive, this drive is only three months old. NO way this info can be correct.
Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 AM
Wired's Avatar
Wired Wired is offline
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 32,184
POST ID # = 478922
Wired Reputation: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky8613 View Post
I tried Crystaldisk just for the heck of it and I got 72% life left on my f180 drive, this drive is only three months old. NO way this info can be correct.
This is already known.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
An important item of note is the method of determining Health Status or SSD Life Left. Some SSD controllers report an attribute not seen on SandForce attributes, 205 (hex-D0). This attribute is the MAX Program/Erase cycles for the SSD. This attribute is used on some controllers combined with atttribute 5 (Reallocated Sector Count aka Retired Block Count) to determine SSD Life Left. Since this attribute is not reported by the SandForce controller, it is impossible to determine how the monitoring utilities are determining SSD Life Left or Health Status reports.
__________________
No, I don't work for Corsair
...you need to flow like a river...
Forum Rules
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM
PierreBr PierreBr is offline
Registered User
PierreBr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 32
POST ID # = 481847
PierreBr Reputation: 10
Default

I just installed my Corsair F60 SSD on an Asrock 780G motherboard.
What stroke me as weird was the SMART report on the "On the fly ECC uncorrectable errors" when checking with the lasted version of Crystaldiskinfo




Also ran an ATTO bench...how are these numbers looking on these two sets of tests
?
Attached Images
File Type: png crystaldiskinfo-24122010.png (99.3 KB, 4483 views)
File Type: png atto-24122010.png (49.7 KB, 4410 views)
File Type: jpg amd-crystalmark2-24122010.jpg (78.3 KB, 2899 views)
File Type: png amd-crystaldiskmark3-24122010.png (51.6 KB, 2750 views)

Last edited by PierreBr; 12-24-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.