Corsair Community

Can the HX1000 handle two overclocked 5970's?

gutcheck

According to this:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679&p=4

You need to have one buff PSU.

For overclocked operation, AMD is recommending a 750W power supply, capable of delivering at least 20A on the rail the 8pin plug is fed from, and another 15A on the rail the 6pin plug is fed from. There are a number of power supplies that can do this, but you need to pay very close attention to what your power supply can do. Frankly we’re just waiting for a sob-story where this card cooks a power supply when overvolted. Overclocking the 5970 will bring the power draw out of spec, its imperative you make sure you have a power supply that can handle it.

I know one should be no problem, but how about 2 in Crossfire?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HX1000 can easily handle 2x 4870 X2 overclocked cards, therefore because the 5970 uses about 20w less than the 4870 X2, this PSU will handle 2 of those cards overclocked as well.
I guess if you look at it that way it makes sense...thanx.

Thanks, because I have them sitting here. What I want to know, is if I get these to 5870 speeds, how many watts am I pulling at full load? I mean, I also have a OC'ed CPU, 3 HD's and a SSD, 2 pumps, a fan controller, and 2 I/O drives. Can she handle it Scotty?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5970/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5970-system-requirements.aspx

650 Watt or greater power supply one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (850 Watt with two 75W 6-pin and two 150W 8-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU doesn't even list that video card as of yet.

Also some interesting power draw info @ [H]ard|OCP: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/18/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5970_video_card_review/7

Without crunching numbers, I THINK the HX1000W can handle it, but depending on what else is in your system you could certainly max it out.

I agree Wired - the HX1000 can handle it if it were running stock...but even then it might be pushing it.

As soon as you factor in an OC CPU, WD Raptor drives, and two pumps the HX1000 doesn't have enough amps on the rails to keep everything powered optimally. I think he's going to have to split the load with another smaller power supply to make everything happy.

I'll just use one for now then.

What is this business about 12v1 and 12v2 using the mobo too? So, should I hook the GPU up with the modular PCIe cables, or the ones attached to the supply?

Corsair, time to make a 1500 watt!!! And sleave it!!!!!!!!!!

I'll just use one for now then.

What is this business about 12v1 and 12v2 using the mobo too? So, should I hook the GPU up with the modular PCIe cables, or the ones attached to the supply?

Corsair, time to make a 1500 watt!!! And sleave it!!!!!!!!!!

Just use the modular ones and you should be alright with just the one. I was trying to do the math with both OC'd cards, OC'd CPU, etc. and starting typing out loud again :D:

Where'd you read that? It may be well engineered and can take more punishment than a standard PSU, but I've never heard that before. That's a 20% overage. Maybe they were talking about how much wattage it can pull from the wall (1250W * 80% = 1000W).

The HX1000 is actually just essentially 2x 500w PSU's in parallel. I think the 1200w claims come from here, however it seems its referring to a 1200w PSU based on the design of the HX1000, rather than the HX1000 actually being a 1200w PSU, which it can't be as per it being 2x 500w.

so how do I hook them up? This topic about not using the non modular cables is interesting. I had a single 295 that I RMA'ed like 5 times because of issues, but I have 3 5850's with no issues. How do I hook up the single 5970? how about the 5970 and the 5870?

Archived