Corsair Community

CMFSSD-256GBG2D Firmware Version?

esryl

What firmware version does CMFSSD-256GBG2D SSD ship with please.

Is it VBM15D1Q or VBM1801Q. Thank you.

P.S. If its VBM1801Q, has the Corsair SSD ever shipped with the earlier VBM15D1Q.

I have some XBench scores. I can't post them until Sunday or thereabouts (flight in the AM and need to sleep). I have pre/post SSD from a unibody MBP (2.53GHz model) plus another XBench from about 2 weeks ago after I have "broken in" the P256 and its performance had (expectedly) dropped a little.

sorry it took me so long to post this -- been pretty busy the past few days. last ssd shows the mbp model number. exact same machine, same leopard install, etc.

PRE SSD (5400 rpm drive that came w/ the mbp. can't recall the manufacturer and don't have it w/ me atm):

http://amromousa.com/temp/ssdmbp/pressd.png

POST SSD (brand new corsair P256 branded samsung drive, got it the day it was available for order from newegg):

http://amromousa.com/temp/ssdmbp/postssd.png

POST SSD USED (whatever day it came out until now - 6-9-2009, 1AM EST). I do software development on a kids MMO so there are tens of thousands of small files i copy around > 2 times per day for builds, etc. plus i do other software development so the drive gets HEAVY use:

http://amromousa.com/temp/ssdmbp/postssdused.png

EDIT: I can't explain the sequential uncached write numbers. no clue. oddly enough it looks like performance has gone up (it doesn't "feel" that way but it feels substantially snappier than my old drive for sure)? O.o uncached sequental READ has certainly dropped, though.

Edit 2: Oh, and I rarely get "beach balls" these days..worth the money for sure.

Just to have the possibility to compare:

Results 188.79

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.7 (9J61)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model MacBookPro5,1

Drive Type CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D

Disk Test 188.79

Sequential 155.46

Uncached Write 167.24 102.68 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 147.16 83.26 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 98.78 28.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 353.14 177.48 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 240.32

Uncached Write 123.87 13.11 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 164.46 52.65 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 1472.73 10.44 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 551.94 102.42 MB/sec [256K blocks]

even with the drop on performance its still many times faster then an Desktop HDD never mind an laptop one as well

the drive has far lower access times then an HDD so it should always stay fast, thats as slow as it should get unless you run into the problems that makes read and Writes drop in speeds

Sequential read and writes can be affected by the operating system may have been reading or Writing data at the time you was doing the test (the 10.5 OS after reload my mac was doing random things in the back ground) its the random that you should be more interested in as thats what most os do(and where HDDs tend to fail), Sequential read and writes are easy to do for SSD and Hdds

they should provide the update does not matter who sells the SSD in the end you have to contact the OEM make it is an ask them to get the up to date firmware (or check the web site that the item was been used for before mite be on there)

The fact is that performance is much slower than expected.

Just wondering why.

Max

Either the SATA controller or the driver for it in the MBP. If I ever get around to installing Windows via bootcamp and can find a comparable test, we can should be able to find out. I don't think it's the drive.

Archived