The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 AM

POST ID # = 391670
microking4u Reputation: 10
Red face I have this drive

Just got this from Newegg. Performance wise the access times seem to be the best thing about it. Throughput is not meeting specification, I have tested with HD Tune and Crystal Diskmark. Averaging about 10Mbs slower than spec.
I have used Windows 7, performance being higher and Windows XP and have done the alignment technique posted here to try and get best performance, not sure if I need to?

I only did this with XP and not Windows 7. These tests have been on a Lenovo T61P. The drive I am using is the

Corsair CMFSSD-128GB1D

Windows 7 - 80Mbs Read (Read Bursts 130Mbs) and 60Mbs Write

Windows XP SP3 - 70Mbs Read (Read Bursts 99Mbs) and 50Mbs Write

So this drive is ok, I was expecting more.

Can Corsair please give us their specs for alignment of this drive? Especially for Windows XP?

There should be an installment guide for Windows XP, Vista, Etc.

Thank You! I really want to like this drive, but so far it seems slower than the competition?

Last edited by Wired; 07-12-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: links removed

Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 392018
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

We are looking into your report and will get back with later in the week. But for sure our SSD is not the fastest drive The Intel Drive is faster but our drive design is the least buggy of all of the drives on the market. In addition, Windows 7 is a better optimized for use with SSD drives and why the performance is a bit better

Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 AM

POST ID # = 392075
jedisolo Reputation: 10

I have this drive in my thinkpad t400 and I get .2ms access time and a minimum read speed of 90 MB/s and 125 MB/s max with a burst speed of 144MB/s.

I had a T61 before I gave it to my sister and I think Lenovo capped the SATA controller at SATA 1 speeds.

Corsair has done an excellent job at releasing their first SSD.

Last edited by jedisolo; 03-02-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 392170

Thanks for letting us know your results.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Legend's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392187
Legend Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by microking4u View Post
Just got this from Newegg. Performance wise the access times seem to be the best thing about it. Throughput is not meeting specification, I have tested with HD Tune and Crystal Diskmark. Averaging about 10Mbs slower than spec.
I have used Windows 7, performance being higher and Windows XP and have done the alignment technique posted here to try and get best performance, not sure if I need to?

I only did this with XP and not Windows 7. These tests have been on a Lenovo T61P. The drive I am using is the

Corsair CMFSSD-128GB1D

Windows 7 - 80Mbs Read (Read Bursts 130Mbs) and 60Mbs Write

Windows XP SP3 - 70Mbs Read (Read Bursts 99Mbs) and 50Mbs Write

So this drive is ok, I was expecting more.

Can Corsair please give us their specs for alignment of this drive? Especially for Windows XP?

There should be an installment guide for Windows XP, Vista, Etc.

Thank You! I really want to like this drive, but so far it seems slower than the competition?
"microking4u"

Here are a few notes that come up on the top of my head regarding your concerns:

1. I am aware of at least 1 SSD(I will not mention the model and manufacturer) that does not work on this laptop. In all fairness, I would have a little concern with the design, bios or software for this model of laptop.

2. In the lab, our performance testing did drop by an average of 10MB/s on SATA1 controllers but not all storage controllers resulted in dropped bandwidth.

3. When running bandwidth test on a drive, the accurate number is obtained by running the drive as a secondary drive and not the primary drive as where your OS is installed/running.

4. Always make sure you have the latest Bios and drivers for your system. I know this laptop has a recent storage driver dated 1/13/09 from the Lenovo website.
Intel Matrix Storage Manager
Windows Vista 64-bit * 23 Jan 2009
v8.6.3.1004
Windows Vista 32-bit, XP, 2000 13 Jan 2009
v8.6.3.1004

Memory Configuration Tool

Last edited by Wired; 07-12-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: removed links

Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 392209

Thanks Legend now back to your cage you animal. LOL

And microking4u please let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 AM

POST ID # = 392325
Smile Thanks, Well noted.. Also...

I appreciate the comments you guys. The specs and choice of chips and controller on this drive seem fantastic. I hope that even further firmware revisions might increase performance and reliability.

I still am not sure of the offset alignment issue, is this something to be concerned with? The OCZ forum seems to make a big deal about it. Should I not align the drive at 128 with Diskpar like their forum suggests?

What is the optimal alignment for this drive?

I have heard with the T61p that the optional drive bay for the DVD drive area does go to slower SATA spec, but I am not sure about the main drive bay?

Thanks Again Everyone!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 AM

POST ID # = 392330
Idea Looks like Lenovo T61P issue

Well it does look like Lenovo capped the controller on T61p at Sata I spec even though the chipset is rated at Sata II. This was for compatibility with the Ultrabay. This really is very disappointing from Lenovo. I still would think at Sata I 1.5Gbs should still be able to do the 90-100Mbs standard?

Issue with the ICH8 on the Santa Rosa for T61p issue.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/m...cending&page=1

Not sure why I cant hit spec still even with SATA I?

This explains some issue at least. I will test the drive on my ICH9r on my desktop and see what results I get.

Thanks Guys!

Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 392383

I would just use the default format for our SSD Drives the default will yield the best over all performance in 99% of the systems. The other manufacturers have chosen to use another type of controller that seems to have to be formatted in a certain manor to get decent performance so I would not be to concerned with what they say. As it is relative to their product and no one else.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 03-03-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Legend's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392410

Corsair's SSD does not require tweaks to make it usable, stable or compatible. You can always tweak the OS or Bios for better performance for pretty much any hardware. But you can't say it's a finished good if it requires tons of tweaks to make it usable, stable or compatible. Corsair's SSD does not need it

Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 392422

microking4u,
I hope that is a bit more clear for you but please let me know if you have any more questions!

Legend, sorry I guess some one left the cage door open again hu? ;-)!
(As the Whip cracks a few times and mighty beast steps back in his cage snarling and growling and clawing at his master! )

Old 03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Legend's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392425

I'm a machine not a beast!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 AM

POST ID # = 392518
Default SSD Optimizations

Thanks again for your help. I actually do have more questions.

What about Operating System optimizations. Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7?

Should we disable items such as Page File, Prefetch, System Restore and anything that would defrag the disk? Or what about items that constant write do disk such as Temporary internet files, Etc?

Also with this drive, overtime what should we expect, will performance degrade? Are there things would should worry about with SSD technology period?

I have read that there may be a problem with the Intel drives that would cause a swiss cheese effect to the drive. Such as constant writes, defrag and other possible usage with performance decreases over time?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 392565

Just use the default settings, and with any drive as they become loaded to the maximum will slow in read and write performance.

Please note this Thread was moved to the new SSD section of the forum.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 03-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
leexgx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 401608
leexgx Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to leexgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by microking4u View Post
Thanks again for your help. I actually do have more questions.

What about Operating System optimizations. Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7?

Should we disable items such as Page File, Prefetch, System Restore and anything that would defrag the disk? Or what about items that constant write do disk such as Temporary internet files, Etc?

Also with this drive, overtime what should we expect, will performance degrade? Are there things would should worry about with SSD technology period?

I have read that there may be a problem with the Intel drives that would cause a swiss cheese effect to the drive. Such as constant writes, defrag and other possible usage with performance decreases over time?

the specs that corsair are reporting on there drives are the filled state not new (the drive has been filled) (the corsair youtube vid about the drive is in error as he posted in is blog later on saying it did do around 75MB/s write and 95Mb/s read so its good that corsair not Not posting New SSD state when all cells are erased as most other SSD makers post New not filled in there specs as that is not) in any case thats not important its the random small Writes that makes or brakes an SSD performance (that no SSD maker shows that info thay just show big read speed numbers whats not usefull)

on vista Defrag (windows 7 turns off an bunch of stuff see link below) defrag should allways be off on SSDs no point and will wear the drive down far faster

windows 7 http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...rives-and.aspx

------------
i find out if windows 7 superfetch turns off or not with the s128 i have one sitting on my keyboard right now :) be my first try on SSD i know its not fast on data rate but the access times (or lack of them) should make it faster then an new 150gb 2.5 raptor hdd

just want to know is there any firmware updates out for the s128 before i use it (and does the drive support the TRIM command yet or that up comming update due to vista been RC still not realy beta any more, the TRIM caommand seems to be set now but i guess its up to SSD makers to bring out updates or wait for RTM)

Last edited by leexgx; 05-18-2009 at 03:05 PM.