Corsair Community

Commander Pro & SP120 issues

Dead Bonsai

First of all hi, this is my first post here and unfortunately it's a troubleshooting one.

I recently built a new rig and although I consider myself fairly tech savvy I've never really bothered with RGB in my previous builds and thought that if I stuck with all Corsair gear that everything would be plug and play then just a matter of tweaking. Which seems to be the case for a lot of people but after searching loads of threads I also see loads of people having similar issues to me.

I have a 570x RGB case with the 3xSP120's in the front & 1xSP120 in the rear, 4xLED Strips & a Commander Pro.

The way I have this all connected is, all fans are powered from mobo headers, the LED strips are chained and connected to LED Chan 1 on the Commander Pro and all seem to functioning properly.

The RGB plugs for all 4 fans are connected to the hub that came with the case which has been disconnected from the button controller that came with the case. This hub is then connected to LED Chan 2 on the commander pro. Both the hub and Commander Pro are powered by SATA directly from the PSU & the Commander Pro USB is connected to a USB 2.0 header on the mobo.

I'm using the latest iCue software, I have CP chan 1 set to RGB Lightstrip - 4 strips connected & CP chan 2 set to SP RGB series fans - 4 fans are connected.

All 4 fans are spinning fine as they are connected directly to the mobo, the issue is with the LED's. Initially all 4 lit up with just a different static colour each, but wouldn't respond to any changes made in iCue. I initially though it might of been down to not rebooting after installing iCue so I gave that a go.

Upon restarting iCue I only had the top and bottom front panel fans lit up, nothing from the middle one or the rear exhaust fan, and the two that were lit still weren't responding to iCue changes, and this is pretty much how things are at the moment.

I've tried reinstalling the Icue software with no change, I've tried each fan one at a time into header one on the hub and the results are the same with only the same two fans lighting up. I've tried them in totally different headers (3,4,5,6) again with no luck.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next, I really didn't think it would be this much of an issue. I've been a Corsair fan/customer for many years now with zero issues with any other hardware I bought, so I'm really hoping I'm just being dumb here of have overlooked something.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me with this.

I only tried them in different headers as by that point I was pretty much clutching at straws, when it still didnt work I returned them to 1,2,3,4.

I read through the link in your sig. and from what I can see, looking at the 'Corsair 570x Mirror Black Commander Pro Setup' image, that is pretty much how I had things wired up apart from the fan power being taken from mobo headers. I have now changed this so the power is being taken from the ComPro, so things are set up exactly as shown in the image, but things seem to be going from bad to worse.

As it stands fans 1 & 3 on the front panel are still the only ones lighting up and still wont respond to iCue changes, this remains the same even when I use instant lighting, but I now have the added bonus of fan 3 not spinning at all.

At least they were all spinning up when connected to the mobo.

I dont really know where to go from here.

What confuses me is when I initially done the build I was just using the the 3 front fans with the hub and button controller that shipped with the case and everything was working fine, so obviously not a fan issue. The problem only started when I added fan 4 (the exhaust fan) and the commander pro.

Upon trying to troubleshoot this problem myself it's becoming clear that there are loads of people having issues with the ComPro & iCue. I see a lot getting help and advice from these forums and rectifying their issues, but there also seems to be a hell of a lot of troubleshooting threads that dont seem to have a positive conclusion.

I'm really starting to question whether Corsair was the way to go for me.

What confuses me is when I initially done the build I was just using the the 3 front fans with the hub and button controller that shipped with the case and everything was working fine, so obviously not a fan issue. The problem only started when I added fan 4 (the exhaust fan) and the commander pro.

Upon trying to troubleshoot this problem myself it's becoming clear that there are loads of people having issues with the ComPro & iCue. I see a lot getting help and advice from these forums and rectifying their issues, but there also seems to be a hell of a lot of troubleshooting threads that dont seem to have a positive conclusion.

I'm really starting to question whether Corsair was the way to go for me.

Keep in mind that judging reliability based on what you see on the forum is like judging the safety of US streets based on the evening news - you'd think that walking down the street in the US is akin to a WWII war zone with bullets everywhere, cars crashing and out of control fires on every other block. No one comes on the forums when things work well, only when there is a problem.

As for your issue - there are two changes that you made ... fan 4 and the Commander Pro. So let's start with one at a time. If you put the push button controller back on, do all fans work?

Ok, I've now got everything setup the way the case was out of the box. I've disconnected the ComPro, gone back to the push button controller and disconnected fan 4, so just the 3 fans at the front of the case. This is how it was setup when everything was working.

Regarding the fans now, nothing has changed, all 3 fans spinning, only fan 1 illuminated (the bottom one). Cant adjust the colour/mode/speed regardless of whether I use the push button controller or the buttons on top of the case.

Ive also tried connecting 6 port fan hub that came with the case via the lighting node pro that was bundled with the LED strips (the strips from day 1 have been connected directly to the ComPro and working fine). In iCue I see the lighting node pro, set lighting channel 1 to 'SP RGB Series Fan' and '3 fans are connected', I'm still getting the same result, all fans spinning, bottom fan lit but not responding to iCue and the other 2 fans not lit.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away. I've tried rearranging them and also tried the fans one at a time in header 1 and it makes no difference, only the front bottom case fan (fan 1) is lit but still not controllable through iCue, oh and also has 1 dead LED now.

This is getting beyond a joke now, would this indicate that that suddenly 3 fans have 'gone bad' and the last one is on it's way? what could cause this?

• 1 month later...
So it sounds like you have at least one fan that's gone bad. Have you tried rearranging them on the fan hub? The fans operate in series so 1 bad fan can take the rest of the chain out.

Can "gone bad" be clarified? Like if I plug my lighting hub into the case controller I can choose a color and mode and they all work. Does gone bad just mean a bad LED in one fan? I am having the same issues as OP

• Corsair Employee

Hi Guys,

That fan with the busted LED might be causing the problem. It's kind of like Christmas tree lights. When one fan has an issue on one LED, it breaks everything down the chain.

If you create a ticket, we can send a replacement 3pack.

The 3 button controller works a bit different because it's entirely analogue. SP's just kind of work better with it (they were made for that controller after all). Also, some of the 570x's in circulation are still old stock and predate the Commander Pro and LNP, so parts may have changed over time leading to weird reactions.

But we can totally help you out through support.

Archived