Corsair Community

ax860i fan kicking on & off repeately.

Faithh07

I don't know if this is normal but the fan starts to kick in and kicks a few secs later again kicks off. My systems load is quite high around 160W idle but it mostly happens when gaming..

2600K 4.9GHz @ 1.46V

4x Dominators platinums @ 1600MHz with 1.5V

gtx 680 dc2t @ 1300MHz/7550MHz @ stock power

My room temp can hit 30° easily, so is this quite normal?

That would be consistent with normal behavior. Until the load reaches a threshold level, the fan remains completely off. It'd be best if it slowly ramped up from 0 RPM. (I get that there are minimum Rs that a fan can sustain.) Perhaps that can be a future enhancement.

Just opening a program triggers it? That isn't right. Granted, my AX1200i is probably loafing most of the time but it takes a serious amount of draw for the fan to start. Is the MB/CPU/GPU combination really close to the maximum capacity of the PSU? That's the only thing that would make any sense, short of a marginal PSU.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys

i have the same problem.

at idle my AX860i fan starts spinning for a second up to almost 1000rpm with two kicks

like a smal geared guy with a Corvette before he starts over.

kind like wrooom wrooom.

this repeats all 50 - 70 seconds.

no change with Corsair link running or without.

and that bothers a lot !

any ideas ?

absolutely impossilbe.

in my case the ambient Temp was constant at 22°C.

For example, at the moment i am running a longtime benchmark that sucks 330 Watts out of the wall (read from corsair link)

Temp AX860i Temp: 33,1 °C

AXi Fanmode: default (means automatic)

no change, still vroom vroom and no constant cooling related to the temperature

Hopefully the one feature that differs from all others PSU´s will bring the cure.

A firmware update !

Conclusion of all described problems must be a software problem with the firmware.

Fans don´t have their own mind and troll around in different ways in several PSU´s -.-°

Get it on Corsair ! (if not RMA is coming soon)

more than possible.

You can see the tempcurve in Corsair link.

But i tink the threshold has two variables, the temp and the used power an i suggest (in my case) that the software is screwed up between these both variables.

but i can suggest what i want, this isnt solving my problem.

Would be nice if an Corsair OP could give a statement...

• Corsair Employee

Faithh07 & Zoldjah,

Open C-Link and click on the fan for the 860i then set it manually to 42% this will set the fan to run all the time but at a low RPM and you wont get that noise.

Thank you RAM GUY for this advice.

I tried this before and it works BUT (you know the BUT would appear) we own a semi passive PSU for a lot of money what not does what it should.

So this first aid solution is ok but not satisfying at all.

I know you got a lot to do, but is it possible to ask your developer friends if they plan to serve an improved firmware for us almost unsatisfyable Nerds ?

dunno when it happened, but fan not working, regardless of setting it to fixed or default

edit: it's working again, pushed the connector into the port a bit more firmly and that seemed to do it. also the link power tab is fully functional again, which it wasn't a moment ago

• 2 weeks later...

More regarding AX860i fan.

My configuration consumpts about 100-120W usually and up to 200W under heavy load. - AX860i starts fine with full fan speed, when fan stops and once per 10-20 seconds tries to rotate. Seems everything OK (taking into account the fan control logic)

- In a long time, after 1-3 hours, the PS internal temperature rises to 40C and PS switches off.

- The attempt to turn the PS on at this moment is in vain: PS will switch off again quickly.

- After 20-30 minutes of cooling PS becomes operable (for next 1-3 hours).

- If the fan control mode is set to "40%" instead of "Default", PS has proper cooling and may work for days.

I'm suspecting PS is OK, but the fan control logic needs improvement, taking into account, first hand, PS inside temperature, and then - power consumption. Do You have PS microcode, even in "alpha" or "beta" state, which cold be programmed via Corsair Link to experiment with?

Or, is it possible the PS temperature threshold for thermal shutdown is set improperly? Could that be repaired locally?

• Corsair Employee

Okay guys it is not a work around but more of another way to skin a cat...

The fan is designed to come on when the PSU reaches about 49 Deg C and turn off when it reaches about 45 Deg C. So that being said if you are a low load say 35-45% that will cause the PSU to hover about the temp it turns on and off causing this situation where it turns on and off. So all you are doing is changing the fan profile by setting what I suggest so the fan does not turn off. The fan will still ramp up when the load on the unit warrants it so nothing to worry about it should solve the issue for you both...

Thank You, RAM GUY!

Seems the thermal shutdown is improperly set in my PS. So, it switches the PS off before the internal temperature reaches the threshold. I'll ask support to check both "49C" and "45C" levels.

Isn't it possible to have a more "static" solution than just setting the fan speed in Corsair link? I mean not everyone wants to use Corsair Link. Something like a switch like on the ax860 just seems to be much better imo.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. I bought a AX860i a week back and seems that it also spins the fans randomly without any specific logic. I use the Link2 software and te fans spins every here and then even that the temp isn't 45C yet. Seems to reach 40-43C on light use or idle. It woudn't matter if the fan spins quietly but you can clearly hear it revving up for a couple of seconds. Is this normal behavior?

If I switch the fan operating to fixed mode in the Link2 software and set the fan to 40-44% it's really quiet and the temp is something like 30-34C on light load. I could live with the issues stated above if I hadn't a problem with the fixed settings. Every time I reboot the PC the fan is in default mode and it's shutted down, but it acting like I told above. The Link2 is set to start up with windows and it still shows that the fan is in fixed mode but it acting like it's in default mode. I have to manually adjust the fixed setting every time the windows is rebooted.

O'why didn't I buy the analog AX860 instead..?

Hello everyone. I bought a AX860i a week back and seems that it also spins the fans randomly without any specific logic. I use the Link2 software and te fans spins every here and then even that the temp isn't 45C yet. Seems to reach 40-43C on light use or idle. It woudn't matter if the fan spins quietly but you can clearly hear it revving up for a couple of seconds. Is this normal behavior?

If I switch the fan operating to fixed mode in the Link2 software and set the fan to 40-44% it's really quiet and the temp is something like 30-34C on light load. I could live with the issues stated above if I hadn't a problem with the fixed settings. Every time I reboot the PC the fan is in default mode and it's shutted down, but it acting like I told above. The Link2 is set to start up with windows and it still shows that the fan is in fixed mode but it acting like it's in default mode. I have to manually adjust the fixed setting every time the windows is rebooted.

O'why didn't I buy the analog AX860 instead..?

Well digital or analog transformers don't have anything to do with pwm control. The PWM control is just poor. It doesn't seem like that Corsair tested them in real environments like mounted in a case, gaming etc for a long time before releasing it. It feels like the customers found this annoying issue earlier out than Corsair.

I just recommend facing the PSU with the fan upwards, not down. When you have the fan faced down the hot air gets stuck there due to the hybrid fan control, while facing it up it can benefit from the airflow of your casefans. You can keep it at default mode, no need for a fixed mode.

I have it like that, and I don't have to complain anymore of the PWM control and it even looks better than a dull sticker.

Best way to have low as possible temps on PSU:

1. Nonhybrid PSU -> fan facing down so it soaks cold air all the time

2. Hybrid PSU during hybrid -> fan facing up

3. Hybrid PSU during normal mode -> fan facing down

Ok, I could try to face the fan upwards. It's quite tight in my casing, but I will soon change fullcover waterblocks to my graphic cards, so it gives more space and also cools down the inside of the casing.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/pro-ht/Muu/pc/hd7979crossfire_ax860i.jpg

Edit.

Seemd that the CorsairLink2 version was the 2.3.4816 I downloaded directly from the Corsair.com site. I upgraded it to 2.4.4948-Beta and now it seems that the fan stays in fixed mode. At 114W idle the temp is now only 31C at 45%, over 10C degrees lower than in default mode. But now I lost my CPU group data..? How do I get it back?

Edit2.

Ok, now the CPU data is there. Half an hour and several boot ups later it show up, lol.

Well you can get away with Corsair link setting it to a fixed mode but I just find it silly that you have to get into the OS and use a piece of software to quiet your PSU down. The fans on the AX860i have a bad bearing, they wear easily off over time making them noisy.

I'm really wondering if it's possible to fix this issue with a firmware..

• 2 weeks later...

Have been using my setup for a good time now, and Link software has worked like charm. The fan kicks on on bootup and it's dead silent at 42% ~830rpm. PSU temp is like 30C and rises to max 35C under heavy load.

I will maybe test to change the PSU upside down and see if it can operate better in hybrid mode when the heat can move upwards. The internals of the case seems to be quite cool now when I have both graphic cards watercooled. :)

• 5 months later...

@Ramguy

Did you guys fix this issue with newer versions? A psu that hits 45° and the fan kicks spinning nearly at its max speed then shutting off is just a design flaw. It's kinda obvious that this wasn't even tested before bringing this out. A Seasonic or Superflower unit doesn't do this at all, the fan kicks in and spins slowly.

Do the RM series have any of this problem? Since reviewers are barely testing them in a real world situation like in a case it's pretty much impossible to know if it has this issue or not.

Archived