Corsair Community

AX860 whining

kfoshaug

Hi all!

First post here. I have just purchased two AX860 PSUs based on excellent results internet reviews. The following was decisive:

• Quiet fan
  • Possible to set a mode so that the fan does not even start up on lower loads
  • AX860 is overkill for my usage, but that means fan will most likely not turn on at all, and therefore the PSU should be silent
  • I evaluate all my PC components mainly on silence and will gladly pay extra for it

I was excited to replace my aging and rather noisy Seasonic PSU (I had an unfortunate choice of model back in 2004) with a new AX860. But imagine my disappointment when I find that the electrical noise (rather high pitch whining) emitted from the AX860 was more unpleasant than the fan noise from the old PSU. The case I am using is Antec Solo II and therefore the PSU is located at the top of the case with the fan opening upwards and is therefore the most exposed component in this case.

The other AX860 was used in a new build for a family member and I notice the electrical noise less since the placement of the PSU is at the bottom of the case. And also the room where it is placed has more natural background noise so I did not notice anything until I installed one in my own PC.

But the same whining sound is there in both PSUs.

The hardware I am using is Asus P8Z68-V Pro with i5-2500K and P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD with i5 3570K. Graphics cards are integrated HD2500 / 4000 and dedicated PowerColor fanless HD5750 and Asus DCUII 660 Ti TOP.

I have tried the following without noticeable effect:

• Interchange the PSUs between the builds (and therefore also different houses)
  • Turn off C1E and speedstep + a whatever power management features I found in Bios.
  • Overclock or not overclock
  • Tried both with iGPU and two different dedicated GPUs
  • High load (Prime95 with 3DMark) or normal load, I cannot notice a difference in noise depending on load

I am left with different thoughts and questions.

Is the AX860 not targeted for silence enthusiasts? Or is there something wrong with my expectations for those PSUs?

If I get 2 of them and they both have more or less same electrical noise, what is the chance RMA’ing will help me?

I have no problem with the sound of airflow from a good quality fan. But a whining electrical sound just does not cut it for me. I already have an approved RMA request for one of the PSUs (before I knew both made the same noise). I am sure I will try that but would not mind some input on this while I evaluate my options.

What do you think? Any other ideas on what to try? Would highly appreciate any feedback :idea:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Reporting back ... got my replacement unit but it has the same whining. So I guess I will just have to accept facts and start looking for another type of PSU.

Quite disappointing though.

Especially for my Antec Solo II build the AX860 is totally unusable since PSU is directly exposed on the top of the enclosure.

If whining is different from house to house (based on "quality" of electricity) and on components, then why do I experience exactly the same sound on all the 3 AX860s I have tried on different physical locations and pc builds?

The only thing in common is the brand of the motherboard (ASUS), could that be a link?

Or if the AX860 just works that way, then why have not reviewers made comments about that aspect.

Hopefully, Corsair can address this. I've been holding off for weeks on buying a PSU and have been going back and forth with Corsair and Seasonic because of these coil whining issues. It's very frustrating.

So, basically the Corsair rep lied to you?

I dont believe anyone is lying. Corsair RMA process works very nicely. Quick response on RMA request and quick return of new unit :-)

Just sad it makes the same noise. I guess it is not a concern with people who are not too concerned about silent computing.

But I would not recommend the AX, for obvious reasons. Too bad I bought two at once ... trusting reviews too much.

kfoshaug,

Did you ever find another power supply. I've got at least $1,500 worth of products just sitting in my closet because I still can't decide on a PSU. I was thinking about getting a AX750 but it's like a crap shoot with these PSUs.

• 1 month later...

Picking up this thread again. I am trying to get used to the whining sound of my 860AX but it just does not work. I tried 3 different units now and they had the same issue. And I read a lot about others suffering with the AX series.

So my question to Corsair RAMGUY is if you would consider switching it for 860AXi, which seem to have a lot less complaints about whining.

Would that be possible? I pay a hefty amount to ship the my AX860 to the Netherlands and you guys send me the 860AXi back?

I did the paperclip test and without nothing but a case fan connected there is not a high pitch noise from the PSU. There is buzzing but not at all the same whining.Not sure how that will help me, though.

Once I connect the motherboard, the whining starts again. I did play some more with the bios option and found that disabling sound would reduce the whining somewhat (but then with an other obvious drawback, and the whining was still persistent enough). I have tried the same ax860 in two different builds (different MBs) with same coil whine.

I have in the meantime bought a Be-Quiet PSU (E9 CM 580W), and its like night and day. No coil whine whatsoever, at least in my ears (got it yesterday so dont have much experience with it). The fan is running at all times (but with a good profile so with low rpm for my current use) and it does not produce any noticeable noise of any kind. So I would call it whisper quiet. I am now shocked how the AX can be so noisy. AX costs 40% more and is "unusable" except locked down in the bottom of a PC with not-so-quiet case fans.

So having tried 3 different AX860s (bought 2 orignally, RMAed 1) with same result, and seeing that other PSUs (in same PC) dont exhibit any signs of coil whining, my conclusion is that I am pretty much done with AX series. I will probably buy another be-quiet for my second PC.

Question is now what to do with my two AX860s. There is no way I will just drop the case so I will most likely insist on RMA´ing my way to corsair units without any coil whine and quiet fan. If not to use them, at least I will be able to sell them without feeling like cheating the buyer.

I am sorry corsair, I am not impressed by these "Premium" units. Feel free to PM me so that we can discuss in private a final solution to this issue. If you feel that I am wrong in my experience with the AX then feel free to try and correct me. I will openly provide a correction to my statements if you provide me with AX units that are "whisper" quiet.

NEW RMA# : 6011844

I just replaced my Gigabyte 870 mainboard with an Asus Sabertooth 990fx. At the same time I replaced the PSU with Corsair AX760. With the PC on, the AX760 emitted annoying high pitched noise. The noise was definitely coming from the PSU. I removed it from the case, and placed it as far as I could away from the case to test for the origin of the noise. Then I decided to go back to my old PSU, the Corsair VX450. It never had any noise issues when paired with the Gigabyte mainboard. But guess what, when paired with the Asus, this PSU too produces high pitched noise.

Is there something going on between Corsair and Asus?

Hi there, i'am a newbie on this forum, i'am french, so please forgive my bad english.

So i have changed my TX850 2 times from my local store, and i've got the same problem :-|

In idle, the fan of the PSU clicking and buzzing, (often synchronised to the mouse movmnents.)

In Burn, the psu clicking permanently, the PSU Fan running.

Combo PSU/MB : Corsair TX850 / Asus P8PZ77 LK

All options in the bios used...

Hi Everyone.

The only way to get to the bottom of this is through some serious testing. I have some bank holidays coming up next week, I may take the time to put my Gigabyte board back into the case. Can’t stand this mosquito noise coming from the PSU.

In the meantime, I had a look at what folks at Newegg have to say about the noise issue. Out of 21 comments covering AX860, 10 reported noise (!). AX760 had 12 comments in total, 2 noise reports. Too bad most people don’t post their system specs with a comment, we might have had the answer right there and then. Of those who complained about the noise, only one posted the specs. Asus mobo. Of those who were happy, also only one posted specs, MSI mobo. One person with AX760 reported bit of a nuclear blast in the system after only 3 days of use, with the loss of most components as a result. Asus mobo here too.

I have been looking at some other forums and it seems to me that every time there is talk of noise coming from the PSU, Asus gets mentioned in the same sentence. Even here on Corsair support forum, in other threads, it’s Asus all the way.

AX760i, and AX860i, don’t seem to cause any issues with the noise. Maybe that’s the way to go. As an alternative to countless replacements, have Corsair ship a PSU with an “i” at the end.

Hi. I have done some testing. See my thread here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118063

I don't think Asus mobos are the problem. No other psu have maked this noise with any Asus mobos I have been using or mounted. No psu should make any noticeable noise no matter what. Unless you have to small psu or a major fault somewhere. A reason with the Asus and AX series psu noise problem, may be because some Asus boards pulls more power. And/or the bioses powersaving modes (Erp/Eup, C-state, C1E, EIST, Speedstep, Spread Spectrum, Load Lines etc). Newer mobos have a lot more powersaving options (which are often enabled). That may be why some AX psu's are quiet with older mobos and noisy with newer mobos. And the platinum series has Erp/EuP support. Which older mobos don't have. Maybe something there too.

And also, the platinum series seems to be more risky for noise because they must meet the efficiency requirements.

On top of that, Corsair seems to don't care damping their psu's anymore. See pictures in my thread. If they were well damped and done, no one have had this noise issue at all.

AX760i, and AX860i, don’t seem to cause any issues with the noise. Maybe that’s the way to go. As an alternative to countless replacements, have Corsair ship a PSU with an “i” at the end.

I have actually suggested this in my RMA request, but not sure if they have taken that comment into account.

To CORSAIR: I am shipping my AX860 this weekend for approved RMA ticket 6011844. I hope you can replace it with AX860i

I have actually suggested this in my RMA request, but not sure if they have taken that comment into account.

To CORSAIR: I am shipping my AX860 this weekend for approved RMA ticket 6011844. I hope you can replace it with AX860i

kfoshaug, this would be something you would need to call and talk over with CS. I'm sorry they do not monitor the forums , so they wouldn't see this.

Generally they will only replace an item with the identical unit.

I have had 4 AX860s in 3 different systems in two different houses, and they all make noise.

One has an EVGA Classified E760 and the other two are newer stock Dell and HP systems.

It just depends on the motherboard itself whether the noise will be heard due to current draw from the motherboard when the system is shut down.

I've taken one apart and the noise originates from the transformer inside the PSU.

My AX760 only makes noise when PC is on. Same with the VX450. Both PSUs are Seasonic creations btw. I think noise when on is what most people experience. I’ve noticed the noise from the VX450 is intermittent. And it’s roughly the same level as the noise from the AX760. Doesn’t seem to have anything with the load or the PSU fan activity to do. I sat 3 months about 70 cm from an open case with the VX450 and Gigabyte mainboard inside – never noticed anything I wouldn’t like. After 5 days with what essentially is the same setup with an Asus board, I’m about to throw the box out the window.

This keeps getting better and better. Asus = noise when on, anything else = noise when off. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

All the AX models, old or new, with the exception on the "i" variants, are made by Seasonic. Do yourself a favor and go do a little digging on Seasonic and coil whining. Even the original Seasonic (non-Corsair rebranded) PSUs have this issue. I have the previous generation HX750 (silver, not gold) and have no issue, but I think it has to do with the fact that the OEM manufacturer is CWT (Channel Well Technologies). The newer gold HXs are now also made by Seasonic. I wanted to buy a new AX because of being fully modular, but have been too sh!t scared to do so because of all these issues. RMA-ing as you have seen, will most likely get you nowhere. Problem is with Seasonic. I am not saying Seasonic PSUs are crap, but there are some underlying issues at hand. The "i" variants are made by Flextronics, but from what I have read, they use Yate Loon fans which a lot of guys report has a high pitch squeal or shrieking noise. The normal AXs use a better San Ace fan on the other hand. What the hell - one OEM has coil whine, and the other has crappy fans - you just can't win either way?! Why could Flextronics not have used a San Ace fan?! Also, I think Corsair should go back to having PSUs made by CWT instead, even Cooler Master's Silent Pro Gold is made by them and as far as I know it too does NOT have coil whine issue like my trusty HX. Another interesting read regarding this topic: http://blog.szynalski.com/2012/11/24/in-search-of-a-quiet-psu/

Archived