Corsair Community

how can i get the lighting node pro to work on a laptop/desktop set up?

so i bought the kit today and when go to try to attempt at it its asking me to plug in ports i dont have on a laptop. im trying to add light to my dell gsync monitor. i have a ailenware r4 17 and since i have a bunch or corsair stuff already i would of liked it to sync to my stuff.

any help thanks or should i just return it?

So ... it's possible.

And it's not too hard.

First, you'll need a mini USB to USB A cable. These are old school and pretty widely available. Easy peasy.

Next, you'll need SATA power to the NoPro - there's no way to avoid this. You need it, at least, to power the LEDs. How to do this? There's a couple of ways. You can get a PSU and jump the power connection. There are switches available that will also allow you to do this. Or you can get a external hard drive adapter that has a molex connector, get a molex-to-sata adapter and use that. This is, in fact, what I use for benchtop testing of strips and fans. The potential issue with that is that the NoPro's MCU does use the 3.3v rail from SATA but it can also be powered from 5v USB - just in low power mode. Exactly what impact this has on functionality, I cannot be say. I can say that it works for benchtop testing and that the NoPro is detected by iCue as soon as it's plugged in to USB, whether is has SATA power or not.

Archived