Corsair Community

New 570x / RGB Build - Questions/Advice

scope11

Hello all, finally in process of building out my new rig and I have a couple of questions I hope I can ask some of the experts around here. I've been finding a ton of great advice, but want to clarify a couple things.

Here is what I currently have:

H150i AIO Cooler

6x LL-120 Fans

3x RGB Fan LED Hub (1 came with 570x, others came with 3pack LL fans)

2x Lighting Node Pro (included with 3pack LL fans)

1x Commander Pro

1x RGB Led Lighting Pro Expansion Kit (for behind monitor use)

RGB Vengeance RAM

Question 1

How should I go about properly wiring/running the Lightning Strips behind my monitors? I see 2 options, both with potential issues:

1) Externally mount LNP behind monitor. Plug USB into I/O back port USB2. In this scenario, how do I run long enough SATA power to the LNP?

2) Skip the LNP, wire directly into internally mounted Commander Pro LED Channel 2. In this scenario, will I have a long enough wire to run out to the monitor from inside the case?

Question 2

How should I be connecting my H150i AIO Cooler?

- Should the USB connection be made to the Commander Pro, or directly to the motherboard?

- Should it's fans be controlled by the Commander Pro, or connected directly to the cooler fan connections?

Question 1:

1) Running SATA power is the challenge here. If it's a Lighting Node Pro (NoPro), you can use a molex-to-sata adapter for a power brick that has a molex output - I happen to have one of these from an external HDD kit. This will work with the NoPro because it only uses the 5V rail. It won't work with the Commander Pro (CoPro) because that one actually uses the 3.3V rail on the SATA power connection. Another alternative is to get an inexpensive PSU and have a switch connected to it. You can make this or get one from places like ModDIY (example: https://www.moddiy.com/products/Jump-Start-EPS%7B47%7DATX-24-Pin-Power-Supply-Jumper-On%7B47%7DOff-Switch-%28Red-Light%29.html).

2) This is feasible but the challenge is getting a cable that's long enough. You can make a cable ... see the link in my signature. All of the parts required are listed there.

Question 2:

- USB Connection doesn't matter. You don't mention the motherboard in your new rig, however ... there have been some challenges with the CoPro's USB hub on Ryzen boards. I haven't had an issue (my son has a Ryzen and I tested a CoPro on his without any trouble) but others have had issues. In that case ... motherboard would be better.

- Definitely have the fans controlled by the cooler. Check out the Cooler FAQ - this is detailed in there.

@DevBiker, thanks!!

Question 1:

Your idea sparked this thought. I have this old device laying around collecting dust that I think will do the trick. It's a SATA/IDE/USB type thing that lets you copy files from various drives to one another externally. BUT it includes a power brick with a molex output rated at 5 volts. Also includes a molex to SATA adapter! I think its perfect, but let me know if you see an issue. Here is a link to the product:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226001

Question 2:

- Board being installed is the ASUS ROG Strix Z370 for coffee lake processor. Should be ok if no issues reported outside of Ryzen setups. Sounds like I'll try the USB into the CoPro and change out the cooler fan connections from CoPro into the cooler directly. I just finished wiring this part, so now I'll redo! Fun times.

Great write ups and links btw!

@DevBiker, thanks!!

Question 1:

Your idea sparked this thought. I have this old device laying around collecting dust that I think will do the trick. It's a SATA/IDE/USB type thing that lets you copy files from various drives to one another externally. BUT it includes a power brick with a molex output rated at 5 volts. Also includes a molex to SATA adapter! I think its perfect, but let me know if you see an issue. Here is a link to the product:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226001

Yup, that should work perfectly for a NoPro (just not for a CoPro). That said, I doubt that it'll support the current load that a full PSU will so keep it limited. But you should be able to fully load a NoPro on it.

BTW: the NoPro uses a standard mini USB cable. You can absolutely plug this into an external USB port and the NoPro's internal processor appears to be powered by USB.

Question 2:

- Board being installed is the ASUS ROG Strix Z370 for coffee lake processor. Should be ok if no issues reported outside of Ryzen setups. Sounds like I'll try the USB into the CoPro and change out the cooler fan connections from CoPro into the cooler directly. I just finished wiring this part, so now I'll redo! Fun times.

Yes, you should be good. Only caveat: if you have issues, check that Legacy USB Support and XHCI Handoff are enabled.

Great write ups and links btw!

Thanks!

Archived