The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.11 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 04:50 PM

POST ID # = 988151
warnings Reputation: 10

Quote:
Corsair knows exactly what caps are in that PSU. Where the Taicon and CapXon caps are used are very low stress areas. No PSUs have been returned on RMA due to the failure of those particular capacitors.
Why not put directly these caps in the sample test unit ? (but put only know and reliable brand)
Your first reply was : used only for monitoring circuit
Now : very low stress areas

I know almost nothing in electronic but I change 16V 10/22uf capacitor from G-Luxon on some power supply by Rubycon and result is always the same work again perfectly with Rubycon but not start or shutdown itself with so "little" capacitor. May be bad design, may be too much stress on these capacitors but I need to change these brands by other.
Never change any Rubycon/Nichicon/Fujitsu/Chemicon capacitor yet in an electronic device. But change Taicon/Capxon/G-Luxon and a lot of other "no name brand.

For return, you say yourself on a post than Corsair can't know what is the problem of all PSU returned directly to the reseller who is probably the big majority of return.

So please I'm an ignorant that's true but when I view a PCB with full of high end capacitor I know that's good quality electronic and not need to change these capacitors.
I can't look all other "main" components because hidden but just view the biggest 400v capacitor who it's probably a ChemiCon from his design.
And what about other electronic components more hidden always the same or cheapest quality too ?

Now why not ask Corsair for a new AX860i Capxon powered power supply and test this power supply for compare true result ?
Shouldn't have any difference no ?

Old 01-03-2019, 05:35 PM

POST ID # = 988159

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG2703-GS View Post
I’m supposed to build a system for a friend and I was including the AX psu series. Should I be going for the AX860 by Seasonic instead of the AX860I or was the AX860 also affected by the same capacitor problem?
AX860 (from 2016) main component seem from ChemiCon with the top cover and color of the capacitor.
3-4 smaller caps are not anymore from ChemiCon with a cross top cap.
Can't read other alu capacitor but same color so good luck that's the same brand.

Sorry can't view more :(

Old 01-03-2019, 11:06 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 988200
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnings View Post
Why not put directly these caps in the sample test unit ? (but put only know and reliable brand)
Your first reply was : used only for monitoring circuit
Now : very low stress areas
The two don't contradict themselves. The monitoring circuit is low stress.

As I said, no failures have been reported or contributed to using different caps in this circuit.

Not sure what you want or what you're looking for. Does the PSU work or are you just "worried"?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:47 PM

POST ID # = 988309

Quote:
The two don't contradict themselves. The monitoring circuit is low stress.
It's true but first was only monitoring circuit and now the output side with two bigger cap. Next what area ?

Quote:
Not sure what you want or what you're looking for. Does the PSU work or are you just "worried"?
Just looking for truth and prepare my solder gun in some years :)
You aren't interested to test the new 2018 AX860i model and compare the results with the 2013 ? Or it's already done ?

Capxon and other brand capacitor leak/high esr quickly probably not for nothing. May be some manufacturer put lower uf/volt/temp capacitor for help but probably not the only reason. I use some HP JetDirect from something like 15 years powered 24/24h 7/7d and still alive now. Some power supply not resist due to power failure but never a jetdirect. Electronic devices can live for years without change anything even capacitor but not anymore.

I just never understand the gain to put these bad cap in any electronic device.
Really so cheaper for wholesale order ?

Old 01-05-2019, 02:18 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 988410
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

You're going to have to be more specific about the caps you're talking about.

NONE (as far as I know) of the secondary caps are anything buy Japanese brand.

Are you "assuming" or do you "know"?

The AVL is quite broad. Caps could be UCC, NCC, Hitachi, Rubycon, etc. "It doesn't look like Chemi Con" doesn't mean it's a Chinese brand cap.

Also: What do you plan to gain from asking in the forums? If you're having a problem with the PSU, contact Corsair. If you really think those caps aren't Japanese, contact Corsair and have a failure analysis done so they can prove you right/wrong.

Otherwise, it just feels like you're trolling.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM

POST ID # = 988752

Quote:
You're going to have to be more specific about the caps you're talking about.
Cables side I send a capture of your test picture but on my power supply is full of Capxon and two bigger cap 16v 1000uf from probably Taicon. Or a brand like T***con.

Quote:
The AVL is quite broad. Caps could be UCC, NCC, Hitachi, Rubycon, etc. "It doesn't look like Chemi Con" doesn't mean it's a Chinese brand cap.
You speak about AX860 and not AX860i with Capxon. AX860 have all chemicon cap like another review on Internet but some cap haven't the specific Chemicon top cap like the review. So capacitor have been exchanged by other brand unknown. It's just not possible to view side of capacitors and NEVER say that's bad or lower brand where do you read that ?
"3-4 smaller caps are not anymore from ChemiCon with a cross top cap."

I ask YOU to test again the SAME power supply AX860i and compare result one with FULL japanese capacitors from 2013 and one with a lot of Capxon cap may be only secondary parts from 2018.

This can replies to all questions to everyone and "adjust" your test who isn't accurate anymore like a lot of components has been exchanged. If you want keep true and neutral review you need to review again the actual AX860i 2018 power supply no ?

If I have the capacity materials and contact with Corsair for receive a power supply to review. I test again each model for compare from one to another and for check if the quality is still the same. A full japanese power supply is probably a better quality power supply than a power supply with a lot of "know" bad caps like Capxon, G-Luxon...
Capacitor included directly in cable or here just where is located near output connectors isn't for nothing. It's for increase results and reviews but these caps isn't the same and probably not same quality anymore so not same power signal quality at output.

After it's your website if you made review only for increase sale of Corsair it's the good way. Keep the golden samples and not change anything like that 10 years later customers continue to buy this power supply for excellent performance and quality even if it's just not the same than actual market. If you refuse you can write on each slide where you speak about full japanese capacitors that isn't anymore the case.

The objective of a review is for the end customer know what he buy in the current market and if Corsair put bad components someone should say to Corsair not put bad capacitors here because affect performance. But you know that better than me no ?

Last edited by warnings; 01-07-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 988767

Quote:
You speak about AX860 and not AX860i with Capxon.
No.

Quote:
I ask YOU to test again the SAME power supply AX860i and compare result one with FULL japanese capacitors from 2013 and one with a lot of Capxon cap may be only secondary parts from 2018.
Are you going to send me YOUR unit?

Last edited by jonnyguru; 01-07-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 988772
Vegan Reputation: 10

The legacy of Teapo still haunts the capacitor market a decade onwards. All I care is that the PSU starts when the ATX power signal is active and the machine boots.

With 10 year warranty, Corsair cannot cut corners without a risk of a bunch of failures. An 850W PSU generally works hard with dual video cards etc.

Hardcore Games - Legenday of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:25 PM

POST ID # = 988841

Quote:
Are you going to send me YOUR unit?
Ask Corsair to send you the latest model revision with more and more Capxon caps and other (cheaper or better ?) components of 2019 :)
Some components are too hidden for read manufacturer and model without open power supply.

Corsair have sell enough ax860i unit with your review and now you can ask for compare performance between full japan and not full japan last one model. It should be exactly the same performance like you defend their choices.

Quote:
All I care is that the PSU starts when the ATX power signal is active and the machine boots.
With 10 year warranty, Corsair cannot cut corners without a risk of a bunch of failures.
If you buy only for warranty yes but if you search components of quality and prefer these sellers as other isn't enough :)
May be one day sellers send transparent power supply for just view high end components inside like a watch instead of hide them.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 988845

What's the lot code of YOUR unit so I can make sure I get one from the same lot.

First four digits of your serial number.

Also: If the caps are actually different, the different caps aren't going to impact performance. Only longevity IF they're not of equal quality.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 AM

POST ID # = 989435

No jonnyguru it's not a review for ME, it's a new review of this power supply for your readers and future Corsair buyers. So please take the last one available 2019 model what future buyer should expect received at home if order this power supply now and the next coming months.

I think Corsair not change often internal components of these power supply because need to test completely the power supply each time no ?

For your note : I read that caps are for extra ESR filtering. For electrolytic caps are probably there for keep voltage when you plug new device placed just before cables plug for not solder caps directly on the cable but you know that better than me.
One capactior was a chemi-con 6.3v 2200uf and second is hidden but probably rubycon with his color/design for 12v.
I found that with a number who match to a Rubycon ZHL 16v 470uf but not sure at all.

On my power supply probably two Taicon but can't read whole name and can't read voltage/capacity. I'm curious to read your reviews and model of capacitors selected for this last one 2019 model :)
And curious by the results found between the 2013 full japanese brand and these caps.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 AM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 989476

Not sure what you're going on about.

I asked you what the lot code of YOUR unit so I can make sure I get one from the same lot.

I'm not going to keep opening up power supplies until I get one that doesn't have all Japanese caps. My time is way more valuable than that.

First four digits of your serial number.

Just because YOU bought it recently doesn't mean it's from the latest lot.

And just because it's one lot code doesn't mean that all lot codes afterwards have the same BOM.

And if you could at least take a picture of the caps you're talking about (I know you can't read the caps themselves and you're making these assumptions on what you think you do see) that would help.

i.e.: Where on the main PCB, modular PCB, etc. are you seeing what you think are Taicon caps.

If you can't provide this, I'm no longer responding to this thread.

Last edited by jonnyguru; 01-12-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 989932
Vegan Reputation: 10

I have not had issues and I have no desire to dissect my PSU to see if the capacitors are OK or not. If it dies I get on the horn to corsair and ask for a RMA, with 10 years I am not concerned with survival as my older TX850V2 also works fine.

Hardcore Games - Legenday of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:24 AM

POST ID # = 990466

@jonnyguru

I'm not a professional and it's hard to take good pictures when you can't dismount the power supply.

Modular PCB Capacitors :

Color : Green
Writed : 1638 M 105°
(BEFORE Chemicon 6.3V 2200uf)

Color : Green
Writed T...CON
(BEFORE Rybucon 16V 470uf)

Color : Blue
Manufacturer : Capxon
16V
PX641

Picture of a reviewer "Modular PCB" : https://imgur.com/ANGMAB0 (Rubycon, Chemicon and purple (Panasonic SEPC capacitor ?)
Capxon (Near 4 exterior) : https://imgur.com/73TlNLi
Capxon (Near 6+2 exterior) : https://imgur.com/rDbFxt0
Now Capxon everywhere

1638 M 105° : https://imgur.com/7tLqT6v
T..CON : https://imgur.com/jDTaGSw

Main PCB perpendicular PCB : (not possible to take picture give nothing !)
Color : Blue
Manufacturer : Capxon
16V
PL633

Color : Red
Manufacturer : Nichicon (Improvement from the reviewer picture !)
16V
FL

Picture of a reviewer "Main PCB perpendicular PCB" with full Capxon cap now with Nichicon/Capxon mixed caps :
https://imgur.com/KPe38T1
(Sorry but can't take picture of this part with a simple smartphone with the fan and the horizontal mounting of the PCB)

Else they are green, cross top capacitor inside the power supply but too small too hidden and unable to read anything.

Take the last one model of this power supply and made a review after your initial review for compare change between the same models. And finally if Corsair increase capacity/quality or decrease that with time. My model isn't new 2016/2017 not remember exactly.

It's for YOU, your WEBSITE, your REPUTATION about your reviews.
How can I or others trust your reviews? When I view a PSU full of Rubycon/Nichicon/Chemicon caps and received the same power supply with a lot of Capxon caps...

Old 01-19-2019, 05:35 AM

POST ID # = 990467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
I have not had issues and I have no desire to dissect my PSU to see if the capacitors are OK or not.
If you want to know just look between fan and grid and you can read easily the blue Capxon on alu cap. Same on the modular PCB in the holes for cable mount or just look a modular PCB without cover and check the location of the main capacitor for look yours.
Rubycon are often black with a K top cover. Chemicon are often brown with 3 lines on top cover. But it's very hard to view difference on alu because all the same only printed text can change something.

Closed Thread