Corsair Community

Padlock 2 Admin PIN

rpt

Thanks YB,

But - the question was how to set up the master PIN. The video shows to set up a user PIN.

Where do you see the instructions for a master PIN?

Does someone knows something written? The PDF manual and the quick start guide gives nothing about the master PIN set up/change/delete.

Thanks ram guy, but already read the manual p3.

Some thoughts of a stupid customer about the "manual":

Heading 1 = Master PIN functions

Heading 2 = Change User PIN

> No, I don't want to change my User PIN. I'm looking for a way to create a new Master PIN.

Heading 3 = Unlock with Master PIN

> This will erase my User PIN and unlock the device complete. No, I don't want to erase my User PIN and unlock the device. I'm looking for a way to create a new Master PIN.

OK - reset my Padlock to manufacturer status (complete unlocked, PIN free).

Tried the "master PIN" section (key - key 3 seconds ...) and put in my "master PIN".

Result: PIN is activated, but used as user PIN. The PIN always needs to be used to unlock the device.

The "master PIN" should be used only in emergency case, not every time. For daily usage I like to have a "user PIN".

OK - now I want a "user PIN". Try to create a "user PIN" as described in the manual (key 3 seconds). Result: alternating red and green LEDs blinking, which means "Error" ...

Result: now I have a user PIN (with a number which I intended as master PIN) and no master PIN.

Is there anyone out there who created a master PIN on a Padlock 2? If yes: what's the secret key combination to get a master and a user PIN?

well, i got finally a solution: i sent it back to my dealer and get the money back.

the handling isn't sufficient for an average user. call me what you want, but >30 attempts and a waste of time shows this is a gadget only for the engineering department of corsair.

unfortunately.

yc

I'm also wondering how the Master PIN is set. So back to the original question: Please, could you write the correct and tested procedure in this thread. And no reference to user manual, which doesn't tell it (at least not according to my English skills).

tik

• Corsair Employee

We are working on writing the steps for you so its more clear.

And from the manual bottom of Page 3

Master PIN Functions

A second PIN can be created to unlock your Flash Padlock 2, in case you forget the primary user PIN.

Change User PIN

Directions Explanation

1. Drive must be unlocked and in master mode. Go to unlocking with master

PIN below to unlock drive.

2. Double press KEY button. On 2nd press of KEY button, press and hold

down KEY button for 3 seconds.

Green and red LEDs will illuminate. After 2nd

KEY button release, green and red LEDs will

blink twice.

3. Enter desired master PIN. Master PIN can be 4-10 digits long.

4. Press and release KEY button. Green and red LEDs will blink.

5. Re-enter master PIN.

6. Press and release KEY button. Green LED will double blink if successful.

And once you use the master Pin the user Pin will need to be reset.

EDIT: Updated steps:

How to set your Master PIN on the Padlock 2:

The Master PIN is a fail-safe backup PIN number that you can use to unlock your Padlock 2 drive if you should forget or lose the primary user PIN. Follow the steps below to set your Master PIN.

1. Drive must be unlocked to set the master PIN, if you have already set a User PIN, please unlock your drive using the PIN you set, or if you have not set a User PIN you can skip this step.

2. Double press the KEY button and on the second press hold down the KEY button for 3 seconds. (Green and red LEDs will illuminate and blink)

3. Enter Desired master PIN. Master PIN can be 4-10 digits long

4. Press and release KEY button. (Green and red LEDs will blink)

5. Re-enter master PIN.

6. Press and release KEY button. (Green LED will continuously double blink if successful)

How to unlock your Padlock 2 using the Master PIN:

1. Double press the KEY button. (Green and red LEDs will continuously double blink.)

2. Enter master PIN using PIN keys.

3. Press and release KEY button. (Green LED will continuously double blink.)

Unlocking the drive with the Master PIN will reset your user PIN and you will then need to reset your user PIN if you wish to protect the drive.

Nope. The result is the same as by "yourcustomer". The procedure starts failing at updated step 6, when Green LED doesn't start double blinking, but just blinking. I've tried this now with two units and one was taken directly from package.

tik

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am sorry to reopen this topic, but it seems I am experiencing the same difficulties described by other people in this thread. More specifically, I cannot set the master PIN when I follow the detailed instructions provided in this thread.

Initially the procedure to set the master PIN seems to work (although as other user described I don't get a double blink in step 6), but what happens when I try to unlock the drive is that what I have set as (supposedly) master PIN works instead a regular user PIN. I cannot "master unlock" the drive, but I can unlock it by punching in the PIN as I'd do with a regular user pin (single press instead of double press of the key button).

Moreover, the setting of a new master PIN should have reset the user PIN, but if I now try the procedure to set a new user PIN I get the "alternative blink" error indication, meaning that there is already a user PIN set. In fact, what it works now is the procedure to change the user PIN, and I can change my "master" PIN to whatever I want, which proves that the drive is using the PIN I -supposedly- set as master as user pin instead.

Can you guys provide any additional guidance on this? I just purchased two of these drives, so mine came straight from the package. I haven't even opened the other one yet.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the Master Reset?

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply.

Indeed, I have tried the reset (twice). It did not seem to fix the problem. However, after several attempts (I just kept repeating the procedure to set the master PIN several times) one of them worked I was able to set the master PIN and after that the user PIN, so that seems to work now. I don't know exactly why it didn't work the first few attempts, I did not do anything differently, but the double blinking is very distinctive. For some reason, the stick was interpreting my "set the master PIN" procedure as "set the user PIN" (single blinking) until one of the times it didn't. Anyway, that seems to be solved.

I have a second problem now...:[pouts: The system does not seem to be able to see the partition table under linux... but that is a different matter, and I'll have to look into it more closely.

Thanks for the help!

Hello,

I bought a corsair Padlock 2 16Gb today and i've got the same problem: unable to set the master pin.

I've made a master reset 3 times and it didn't solve the problem.

could you please help me ?

thanks

Hi,

As I said before, I am not really sure of what I did differently when I was finally able to enter the master PIN. After that I did another master reset and it took another couple of attempts to be able to set a master PIN again. I think it might be related to how quickly you press the "key" button the first time you double press it, or how quickly after this first press you press it (and hold) again. You really need to try a few times.

The procedure I followed is in post #9 of this very thread (the second highlighted/quoted chunk of text in the post). After trying so many times I have realized that before trying it is important to familiarize yourself with the different LED codes. The most important ones for setting the pins are the "normal" simultaneous blinking (both the red and green LEDs blink simultaneously and repeatedly; this happens in operations in which are setting the user PIN), the "double blinking" (the red and green LEDs blink simultaneously, but now they do it twice in very quick succession and then again after a longer pause; this code appears when you are setting the master PIN) and the alternate blinking (red,green,red,green... which means "error", "operation not permitted", that kind of stuff).

I recommend you set the master PIN first: follow the procedure detailed in the post mentioned above. You will know whether it is working if after your first double press (and hold) of the "key" button to initiate the procedure you see double blinking. In my failed attempts I saw single blinking here, and they ended up setting a user PIN instead of a master PIN (again, why that happened I don't know, but the LEDs were telling me it was happening!). When you have set the master PIN, if the operation has been succesful, you'll see double blinking of the green diode only.

After this try to unlock the drive using the master PIN, and if it works you can now move to set the user PIN. You'll realize that the procedure is esentially the same as for the master PIN, just with single presses/hold of the "key" button instead of double presses. The diodes will single-blink instead of double blinking, and at the end, if succesful, the green LED alone will blink.

That is as much as I can help, I think... btw, I unpacked my second padlock and was able to set it up right away, master PIN, user PIN... all worked fine the first time.

Regarding my second issue... I found a solution in this very forum:

http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=89465

I had also erased the original partition table of the drive, and desktux's solution has been invaluable. Works like a charm, and it is not easy to find if you are not an experienced linux user. I'd like to suggest to the admins of the forum the creation of a sticky message with desktux's solution to the linux partitioning issue.

Archived