Corsair Community

Recommended top mount AIO cooler for 460x?

phrost

So I ordered all the parts for my new build and I must have slipped up on noting cooler/case compatibility. It looks like getting a 280mm cooler like the H110i i ordered will be close to impossible in this case. I'd rather return the cooler than the case, so I'm wondering what top mounted cooler you guys would recommend? Perhaps a slim 240mm cooler? Something from NZXT Kraken instead of Corsair? I ordered the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz RAM which appears to be on the short side. This is a Ryzen build so maybe I don't need the serious cooling that the h110i would provide. any tips would be appreciated. ::pirate::

I was really hoping to do a top mount. I decided to return the H110i. It looks like the H100i (v1) might be a good fit here. It's a little thinner than the v2 and the h105. I'm going to do some research today about the differences between them all. I'm also planning on ordering three more SP120 fans and hooking them all up the hub that came with the 460x. I think that'll be nice.

That the was the right decision. The 280mm will only be front mount and makes keeping your front 3x120 LED fans more difficult. It will not fit in the top.

The 240mm will fit up top, but only if you have low profile memory, which you do. In addition, the shallow space up there tends to make it look top-heavy. This is subjective, but a 240mm can be top mounted or hooked onto the back of your two upper 120mm fans in the front. While I generally prefer exhausting waste heat directly, in a case with no drives blocking the front you can move a lot of waste heat straight out the top. That might be my preference.

There is no difference between a H100i GTX(v1) and and a H100i v2. If you mean the prior generation of square piano black H100i (CoolIT), it is a 3mm difference. That likely does not matter for mounting, but if you prefer the look, go ahead.

For me the benefits of the h100i this one: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

are the 3mm shorter width, and the included AM4 compatible bracket. This is already a tight case.. but here's what I wanted to know. According to Corsair's site, the h100i v2 has better performance than the h100i. Is this just a marketing thing? I'm going to do more research today.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cooling

click on "CPU Coolers compared"

Yes, the stuff on the website is of course just marketing. If you google around a little bit for the original reviews of the H100i GTX, you will probably find some comparisons to the prior H100i model. I seem to remember 1-3C differences, but that of course is while running some 100% stress test with the fans blasting away at 2700 rpm. Those are not likely to be conditions of your use and I would expect small, if not menial differences when under normal balanced loads.

The one weakness of the older H100i was a somewhat fragile internal fan controller. You do not want to test the amperage limit of the device. Keep your fan draw under 0.80A and less if possible. You could also just move the fans to the motherboard and bypass that part of the control set-up, thus no Link needed. There was a time when I considered the H80iH100i fan controller to be a glaring weakness. These days, I can think of other reasons to recommend it over the current H100i v2.

I can't elaborate much for the Ryzen. I just don't have any experience with AMD CPUs.

Yes, the stuff on the website is of course just marketing. If you google around a little bit for the original reviews of the H100i GTX, you will probably find some comparisons to the prior H100i model. I seem to remember 1-3C differences, but that of course is while running some 100% stress test with the fans blasting away at 2700 rpm. Those are not likely to be conditions of your use and I would expect small, if not menial differences when under normal balanced loads.

The one weakness of the older H100i was a somewhat fragile internal fan controller. You do not want to test the amperage limit of the device. Keep your fan draw under 0.80A and less if possible. You could also just move the fans to the motherboard and bypass that part of the control set-up, thus no Link needed. There was a time when I considered the H80iH100i fan controller to be a glaring weakness. These days, I can think of other reasons to recommend it over the current H100i v2.

I can't elaborate much for the Ryzen. I just don't have any experience with AMD CPUs.

What other reasons would you recommend the h100i over the h100i v2? I see the h100i is $100 on corsair's site, and with the coupon I can get the v2 on amazon for the same price. So if I connect my other 3 SP120 fans straight to the motherboard, I don't need to connect the Link to the USB header at all? I thought I can still control the radiator even if all my fans are running at full speed, is that wrong? I found this thread on reddit which seems to have some interesting info, but I'm at work so I'm not done reading it yet.

That author is quoting Red-Ray from this forum on a number of items and from a number of different places, mostly relating to current cooler differences, like between a H110i (CoolIT) and a H115i (Asetek). Not everything may apply in a comparison between the older H100i (CoolIT) and current H100i GTX/v2 (Asetek).

Connecting the fans to motherboard directly is an option, not a specific recommendation unless you want to use high speed, high current draw fans. Technically, you do not have to connect the USB cable, but if you do not, Link will be useless. No LED control, limited data, limited control.

I thought I can still control the radiator even if all my fans are running at full speed, is that wrong?

I don't understand what you are asking. Pump speed?

You could also just move the fans to the motherboard and bypass that part of the control set-up, thus no Link needed.

This is what I was asking about. I know the fans have 2 connections, one for the power and one for the LEDs. It looks like I can connect my 3 extra RGB fans to either the h100i fan hub or directly to the motherboard. I would also have to connect the cooler head to the USB header on the motherboard and then use the Link software to control the pump right? So would you recommend connecting the 3 RGB fans to the cooler fan hub or directly to the motherboard? Sorry about these dumb questions, I don't want to make it sound like I haven't done my research because I've done sooo much over the past few weeks. It's just that this is my water cooled unit and I want to make sure I get it right.

Oh, OK. Too many SP120's in the world, as that is also the designation for the H100i and H100i v2 fans (SP120L). In my head, I was trying to keep this thread separate from the one in the cooling forum right now, but naturally we always come back to the same critical points.

You must connect the SP120 RGB fans to the motherboard or case fan controller. Otherwise, the 3 pin DC fan will run full speed on the pump PWM controller and you don't want that. If you have the USB headers, I would still connect the cooler to the board. You don't have to run Link at start-up and it won't be on fan control duty, but it will still change LED colors for you and show data from other Corsair products, if applicable. You may have none. The older H100i will run at one pump speed, so there isn't much to say about that. I do not know what the LED will do with the current version of Link. The old default was white to red, at some CPU temp threshold. Red-Ray or someone else using the current Link with an older CoolIT model may be able to add more detail.

Oh, OK. Too many SP120's in the world, as that is also the designation for the H100i and H100i v2 fans (SP120L). In my head, I was trying to keep this thread separate from the one in the cooling forum right now, but naturally we always come back to the same critical points.

You must connect the SP120 RGB fans to the motherboard or case fan controller. Otherwise, the 3 pin DC fan will run full speed on the pump PWM controller and you don't want that. If you have the USB headers, I would still connect the cooler to the board. You don't have to run Link at start-up and it won't be on fan control duty, but it will still change LED colors for you and show data from other Corsair products, if applicable. You may have none. The older H100i will run at one pump speed, so there isn't much to say about that. I do not know what the LED will do with the current version of Link. The old default was white to red, at some CPU temp threshold. Red-Ray or someone else using the current Link with an older CoolIT model may be able to add more detail.

So you would recommend connecting all 6 of the corsair SP120 RGB Fans to the case fan hub and then connecting the cooler head to the USB header? I won't have any issues with this setup?

one more question: So the h100i and the h100i GT are the same cooler right? It doesn't matter which one I get?

Not everything may apply in a comparison between the older H100i (CoolIT) and current H100i GTX/v2 (Asetek).

The CoolIT H80i/H100i firmware has the same facilities as the H110i/H110iGT firmware, but there a few differences with the main ones being:

1. The H80i/H100i have four fan controllers and the H110i/H110iGT have two.
  2. The H80i/H100i have a C-Link port so can be connected to a CoolIT CL Mini C-Link port and the H110i/H110iGT doesn't so can't.
  3. The H80i/H100i have a fixed pump speed whereas the H110i/H110iGT have a variable pump speed.
  4. The current CL 4.6.0.86 and earlier can set one of two pump speeds and can't automatically change the speed in response to a temperature.
  5. The original post is http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027.

So the h100i and the h100i GT are the same cooler right?

AFAIK the CoolIT H100iGT was never released. It was developed and then I suspect the Asetek patent issues stopped it being released.

I wish Corsair would/could release the CoolIT H100iGT :!:

So you would recommend connecting all 6 of the corsair SP120 RGB Fans to the case fan hub and then connecting the cooler head to the USB header?

I do not know the current limit of the 460x fan controller. That is something that may be elsewhere in the forum. However, from a fan control standpoint, you may not want all 6 fans on one knob, or maybe you do. That is something you will have to feel out. Since the RGB-120's have separate lighting and power control lines, you do not have to run them all at the same speed.

So the h100i and the h100i GT are the same cooler right? It doesn't matter which one I get?

No, the older H100i (CoolIT) is referred to simply as H100i. Make sure there is a picture showing the square pump block.

The H100i GTX is the original name for the H100i v2 and both are Asetek. There were some minor changes for ITX boards and some type of firmware tweak, but from a physical standpoint they are the same. This is the one with the hexagonal block and silver colored name plate.

AFAIK the CoolIT H100iGT was never released. It was developed and then I suspect the Asetek patent issues stopped it being released.

I wish Corsair would/could release the CoolIT H100iGT :!:

Ah right.. after looking around a bit I see that now. It looks like my best bet would be the older style H100i. I plan to top mount it in my 460x. I just wanted to confirm that I should connect all 6 corsair sp120 RGB fans to the fan hub that comes with the case?

I do not know the current limit of the 460x fan controller. That is something that may be elsewhere in the forum. However, from a fan control standpoint, you may not want all 6 fans on one knob, or maybe you do. That is something you will have to feel out. Since the RGB-120's have separate lighting and power control lines, you do not have to run them all at the same speed.

Ok sounds good. I think I more or less have my plan set now. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to order the h100i today from corsair and the extra 3 RGB fans a couple days from now. I plan on connecting all 6 to the fan hub for LEDs, hopefully it all works out. I'll report back with my results :]

In a top mount exhaust, I would want separate control over the front, top, and rear fans. You can keep the front 3 on the controller or maybe you prefer the top and rear on the controller. Regardless, I would want separate control to keep the top fans as low as I could get away with.

In a top mount exhaust, I would want separate control over the front, top, and rear fans. You can keep the front 3 on the controller or maybe you prefer the top and rear on the controller. Regardless, I would want separate control to keep the top fans as low as I could get away with.

I was planning on getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LHYI2PW/ref=twister_B01N9P7A5F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

after the 20% off coupon getting 3 with an additional controller is basically the same price. I assume there would be no benefit/compatibility issues with having two of the same fan controllers in 1 case?

I would get HD120 RGB LED 4-pin PWM Fans and connect them to the H100i, see https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-HD120-120mm-Performance-controller/dp/B01LA0R2X6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493218330&sr=1-1&keywords=hd120+rgb+led

In general PWM fans can run slower than 3-pin voltage fans such as the SP120 RGB LED fans.

The HD120 LEDs can so far more than the SP120 RGB LEDs.

I guess it all comes down to how much you wish to spend, how you wish to control the fan speeds and what lighting effects you would like.

I would get HD120 RGB LED 4-pin PWM Fans and connect them to the H100i, see https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-HD120-120mm-Performance-controller/dp/B01LA0R2X6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493218330&sr=1-1&keywords=hd120+rgb+led

In general PWM fans can run slower than 3-pin voltage fans such as the SP120 RGB LED fans.

The HD120 LEDs can so far more than the SP120 RGB LEDs.

I guess it all comes down to how much you wish to spend, how you wish to control the fan speeds and what lighting effects you would like.

I'm assuming the lighting effects between the 3 SP120's and the 3 HD120's would be different. I think I'd prefer to have all 6 fans the same, I just want to make sure I have optimal compatibility between the case/cooler/fans.

You don't have a Corsair SP120 RGB controller box already with the case?

61viQvM1rhL._SL1000_.jpg

If you want the sequenced light effects to work, they all need to be on one controller. You cannot mix the SP120 RGB and HD120 RGB fans on the controller. You have to go all for one or the other. The case comes with 3 SP120 RGB already, so you are half way there.

I do have the SP120 RGB hub that came with the case. I know the 3 front intake fans will connect to it, but since you were saying that it might be better to have separate controls. The amazon 3 pack I linked to comes with a second SP120 RGB hub, and I was wondering if it might be better to install 2 of the same hub? My current plan is just to install all 6 SP120 RGB fans to the fan hub that came with the case.

I do have the SP120 RGB hub that came with the case. I know the 3 front intake fans will connect to it, but since you were saying that it might be better to have separate controls.

This is where the Corsair fans are different than other RGB fans. That box is for lighting control only. You will still have another wire for each fan that needs to go to the motherboard or fan controller for power and speed control. You can run two different light boxes, but the only reason to do so would be if you wanted them to run different light programs (3 white, 3 red; 3 flashing, 3 solid; etc.) Each control box needs a SATA power line.

If the Amazon price for 3+controller is the same as 3 singles (which appears to be true), get the 3 pack with controller and save it as a back-up. Or who knows, you may be feeling creative down the line and set up a more complex light show.

So, all 6 fans SP120 RGB will connect to the light box, no matter how you decide to power and control speed. Those 6 fans can have 6 different motherboard headers or all on one fan controller, it will not matter for lighting. Sequence on the lighting controller does matter. If you want them to go in order, you must plug them in that way on the controller (1-6).

This is where the Corsair fans are different than other RGB fans. That box is for lighting control only. You will still have another wire for each fan that needs to go to the motherboard or fan controller for power and speed control. You can run two different light boxes, but the only reason to do so would be if you wanted them to run light programs (3 white, 3 red; 3 flashing, 3 solid; etc.) Each control box needs a SATA power line.

If the Amazon price for 3 is the same as 3 singles (which appears to be true), get the 3 pack with controller and save it as a back-up. Or who knows, you may be feeling creative down the line and set up a more complex light show.

So, all 6 fans SP120 RGB will connect to the light box, no matter how you decide to power and control speed. Those 6 fans can have 6 different motherboard headers or all on one fan controller, it will not matter for lighting. Sequence on the lighting controller does matter. If you want them to go in order, you must plug them in that way on the controller (1-6).

OK I guess this where I was confused. I know the case comes with a hub for lighting, but when you say "You will still have another wire for each fan that needs to go to the motherboard or fan controller for power and speed control."

What fan controller are you talking about? The one that comes with the h110i? So is it recommended to plug some fans into the motherboard and others into the fan controller (that comes with the cooler)? Also, I thought the SP120 RGB don't have speed controls? Only the PWM (HD120) do?

Also when you say "If you want them to go in order, you must plug them in that way on the controller (1-6)." What do you mean by in order? I thought I can sync all the lighting on the fans to work the same.

Archived