Corsair Community

Obsidian 1000D no place for optical drive?

GrenadaV

Yeah thats what I figured.....sad days...

Thanks Zotty

Cheers

Rossco

No worries man..

I didn't realise it.. but i had also dropped use of hard copies of everything prior to having PC's without the drive bays.. our BR collection was dusty,.. had most of them digitally and just about everything is in the cloud anyways. So we sold all the Discs we had (happy wife, BONUS!!). less box's under TV's.. less sockets taken up at wall and back of tv/amp. we don't miss it at all lol. long gone are my days of buying cases that have a full frontage of Plextor Drives lol......

and gotta say. these new style cases look so much better than the 30 of years i did in that creamy/beige world of yesteryear PC's lol

[ame]

[/ame]

Why not take your optical drive and put it in an external USB 3 enclosure? I am using the Nexstar DX NST-536S3-BK and it works great. MicroCenter carries it for around $45.

Hi svukelich,

Yes that is exactly what I have done now :-)

Thanks for thee response

Cheers

Rossco

thanks dude :).... how you getting on with yours?

Hi Zotty, Its coming along, but will be nowhere near as elaborate as yours. But this Obsidian 1000D case I got is massive (and heavy) but to me its really great. Especially as you can have 2 systems in the 1 case!

Cheers

Rossco

Hi Zotty, Its coming along, but will be nowhere near as elaborate as yours. But this Obsidian 1000D case I got is massive (and heavy) but to me its really great. Especially as you can have 2 systems in the 1 case!

Cheers

Rossco

just a mater of time for elaborate lol ;).. you'll get there. and yeah i love its size. Room to work works for me :)

I bought my USB 2.0 External Blu-Ray player off amazon a few years back for around $45 bucks.. works perfectly...

Little something i didn't tell you.... but if you upload your blu-ray movies to Youtube in 4k res as private video's they will not be flagged for copyright because your not sharing them to the public, but dont link it or it will get flagged... this was amazing for the children when they were little, they destroyed dvd players and disk.. so they were uploaded and viewed via a smart tv in Youtube under private videos for the kids to watch millions of times over without fear of loosing a disk to scratches... that was over 4 years ago.. still all on there.. just create a new email account and youtube account specific for it.. seperate for your main so you dont mess anything up with your main if they decide to change something in the future.

I bought my USB 2.0 External Blu-Ray player off amazon a few years back for around $45 bucks.. works perfectly...

Little something i didn't tell you.... but if you upload your blu-ray movies to Youtube in 4k res as private video's they will not be flagged for copyright because your not sharing them to the public, but dont link it or it will get flagged... this was amazing for the children when they were little, they destroyed dvd players and disk.. so they were uploaded and viewed via a smart tv in Youtube under private videos for the kids to watch millions of times over without fear of loosing a disk to scratches... that was over 4 years ago.. still all on there.. just create a new email account and youtube account specific for it.. seperate for your main so you dont mess anything up with your main if they decide to change something in the future.

You can do the same thing with Plex - except it's completely in your home and you don't have to worry about someone changing policies or any such nonsense.

In a few years my daughter will ask me what a DVD or CD is ><.

A few years back my nephew was wondering the purpose of a phone booth, as everyone has a cell phone.

My old man had the same issue and he went external as well. It isn't something he does all the time, though he likes to make some photo DVDs with the million picture he takes on every trip.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Not to necrothread, but as a long term 900D owner (a heavily modified 600t owner before that) and someone who wanted to buy the 1000D as an upgrade (lets face it but proper full tower and XL towers are few and far between) I was completely turned off.

Not having 5.25inch ODD bays or at least one was the reason I won't buy it, It's a gorgeous case but considering it's a case aimed mostly at custom loop owners and builders it's a horribly glaring omission, and really a very poor choice and design.

Not for an actual Optical Drive, but for those of us who have independent Fan Controllers (I have a Lamptron FC Touch) and I also use the Asus OC 5.25inch LCD Panel to keep an eye on Package Temps on the fly.

I understand the 1000D has its own 'fan controller' but the case is aimed at high end custom loops and a lot of custom loop owners have their own fan/pump controller and most requiring 5.25inch bay drives.

More or less just hoping someone from Corsair sees this and takes note that not all of us necessarily want 'Corsairs Fan Control Solution' and they have turned people away with the lack of choice with the 1000D and 5.25inch bays.

Not everyone uses them for an Optical Drive, especially when it comes to Custom Loops.

Some ideas for mounting the 5.25" bay components:

Maybe you could mount them on top of the power supply if you are not placing a second ITX motherboard there.

Maybe you could mount them on top of the 3.5" drive cage, underneath where the pump reservoir(s) are usually mounted.

If you don't want to mount any 3.5" drives then another option is to drill out the rivets (from underneath the case) that are holding the 3.5" drive cage, to make more room if you also need to mount tall reservoir(s).

Or the 5.25" components could be mounted in a separate enclosure outside the case (maybe on top of it).

I just keep an external drive in my EOL Drawer just in case the unlikely event of needing one arises lol.. but get what others are saying when it comes to bay mounted hubs and controllers.

i saw it mentioned about it not being an Enthusiasts case in another thread... I beg to differ.. maybe its aim is Corsair Enthusiasts?.. what with Hydro X apparently on the way https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/hydro-x-series etc :) it would seem that aside from mobo/cpu/gpu yo have no need to shop anywhere else if you are the good ship Corsair ;) :)

https://www.facebook.com/CORSAIR/videos/404979910029330/

I just keep an external drive in my EOL Drawer just in case the unlikely event of needing one arises lol.. but get what others are saying when it comes to bay mounted hubs and controllers.

i saw it mentioned about it not being an Enthusiasts case in another thread... I beg to differ.. maybe its aim is Corsair Enthusiasts?.. what with Hydro X apparently on the way https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/hydro-x-series etc :) it would seem that aside from mobo/cpu/gpu yo have no need to shop anywhere else if you are the good ship Corsair ;) :)

https://www.facebook.com/CORSAIR/videos/404979910029330/

It's most definitely an Enthusiasts case and whoever said that the case isn't, needs a slap :laughing: , it's also a very niche case not unlike my 900D, the sad part is while they have added some amazing features, those rad trays for example are killer! They have also taken away a few of the ones that gave user choice.

It's one of the very few Super Towers left on the market these days but with the price premium it should have had the option for almost any config possibility. Some features are a backward step from the 900D and the 5.25inch bays are one, even if it was only an addon screw-in cage.

I agree it's a case probably aimed at 'Corsair Enthusiasts' hell I'm a huge Corsair enthusiast, my current Case, Ram, 17+ Fans, Mouse, Keyboard and PSU all Corsair.

But Corsair only make great AIO solutions, some of us have been there done that with AIO and moved on to full custom loops (started my first one in a 600t 7 years ago) and need a new flagship case with all the bells and whistles the 900D had.

I prefer hardware based pump/fan control to software control like iCue. I was an early adopter of a Corsair Link Commander back in 2012, and that ****** was broken AF. No actual drivers, required generic USB drivers and a lot of hard work just to get it detected by Windows. It was a waste of $150. Turned me off software based fan control forever. Hence why I mentioned not everyone wants Corsairs fan control solutions while it may have improved. Hardware fan/pump control is infinitely better.

Lets say I fell in love with the 1000D cuz it's a gorgeous looking case, tempered glass, plenty of rad options and now CaseLabs is gone, but I have an expensive full custom loop and a very, very expensive Aquacomputer Aquaero pump and fan controller that I want to migrate into a new case. My only other option now is Thermaltake :eek: because Corsair dropped the ball on offering plenty of user choice with one of the few remaining Super Towers on the market and my expensive Aquareo controller is 1000x better than any of Corsairs pump/fan control offerings.

I love Corsair but the 1000D should have been a better successor to the 900D and more customizable. Especially at its price point.

But Corsair only make great AIO solutions, some of us have been there done that with AIO and moved on to full custom loops

Hold the Phone :D :D... that's about to change so the buzz goes..... :)

teaser from a few months back

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/hydro-x-series

I love my 1000d.. came from the 570x so had already let go of front bays, it should totally suit me for my venture into custom loops and indeed Hydro X :). exciting times :).

maybe they need to do a 1000DB (bay edition lol)

Yeah i was also there for commander mini and LINK,,, although it got better towards the end of its life.. it was flawed.. iCUE is a different kettle of fish imho.. does its job well.. for most...

Archived