Corsair Community

[Proposal] for a new Crystal Series RGB case

Hyncharas

I know Corsair doesn't like to talk about their upcoming products, but that doesn't stop the rest of us from discussing or, better yet, designing our own, which they can take credit manufacturing for us ;) Bearing this in mind, I've written a proposal for new a Crystal Series RGB case, where I will intend to design a 3D mock-up in the next couple of months. Then they can review it and decide for themselves whether it is viable for development...

For now, users can read the proposal at the link below, which has been based off of their own product pages:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh6o18zg317qa22/Crystal_680X-Updated.pdf?dl=0

[uPDATE 1] The case will now be called the Crystal 680X RGB.

[uPDATE 2] Design Brief and link updated to reflect release of HD140 and Commander Pro.

570x came out just a few months ago....It will be another 6 to 8 months until they release next case..

I don't mind Corsair working on their own timescale. For those who don't expect to buy a system before September or enthsiasts who can hold off upgrading their case until then, this discussion is meant for you. I'll be showing off my progress as I go, so this is also an opportunity for case modders in the community to inform on what they'd like the 680X to have.

I plan on designing the whole case - from concept to product rendering - using Autodesk Fusion 360. This is a typical program used for product development, as it incorporates features such as blueprint design, CAD, modelling, animation, stress testing and photorealitic rendering into a single application, with 3d files that can simply be applied to a production line...

Starting off, I will be doing a design template using measurements I've made for its dimensions, so I can confirm what fans/radiators/reservoirs will fit inside the case when I create a 3D mock-up.

You're really taking this seriously aren't you. You may want to think about taking some action, such as watermarking, (or any other measures) to protect your design. I would hate to see you put hours of work into it, only to have it stolen. If it looks as good as it sounds, that's a distinct possibility. I can't view your link at work (it gets blocked) but I will have a look at home, when I get the chance.

You're really taking this seriously aren't you. You may want to think about taking some action, such as watermarking, (or any other measures) to protect your design.

I have contributed to products for Dell and Nvidia before, so there would be no shame in Corsair getting a helping hand from its case modding community...

Though I can watermark my ideas, however, I can't necessarily copyright it, as Corsair would be the manufacturer and the design is based off existing products they sell.

I managed to get a look at your specification over the weekend and I owe you an apology. I was expecting a case that was big on style at the expense of practicality, but no, your design sounds like the sort of case that I would buy, if I didn't have a 900D (I have to put that in just in case my wife reads this, not likely, but you never know). I look forward to seeing how it looks.

I managed to get a look at your specification over the weekend and I owe you an apology. I was expecting a case that was big on style at the expense of practicality, but no, your design sounds like the sort of case that I would buy, if I didn't have a 900D (I have to put that in just in case my wife reads this, not likely, but you never know). I look forward to seeing how it looks.

It's no problem - the 900D is nice, but has been out for a few years now and is strictly a business product. By contrast the 570X is great to look at, but lacks the expansion to stand toe-to-toe with recent, rival full tower cases that use tempered glass.

The 680X is being designed to strike a balance between them.

My reasons for designing the case isn't any one thing. I want something that looks great and can show off Corsair's RGB range in full force, whilst still allowing to have an internal optical drive and other devices.

I want people able to choose their spec to be air cooled or watercooled, but provide the space for both if they intend to have a lot of storage internally. I also don't want to have to use a case elsewhere to run their gear, or even two systems, as the company is clearly capable in making a solution for eSport players for their home as well as portable rigs.

Though I only heard about their new "ONE" system over the weekend, it sounds like Alienware's X51, which was a step up from their Alpha Steam-machine and, again, not really what I expect from them. That said, Corsair's long-standing partnership with MSI will probably dictate the spec and that should be interesting, particularly with some of their Mini-ITX boards having a lot of features...

It's totally up to the company whether they make the 680X or not, but I hope they do, for why would they want people to go to a competitor?

• 1 month later...

I realise I haven't posted any updates on this, though hope to upload the template soon...

I have been making case designs from a couple of manufacturers for my 3d portfolio, but using Fusion 360 has proven harder than my typical work in 3ds Max.

All I want from a case is the 750D with tempered glass windows, a clean front (no 5.25 drives or cutouts), and a basement shroud to cover the PSU and a single HDD bay (removable of course). Some additional cable management hiding stuff for the backside would be welcome, but not a big deal. I just want it to be "refreshed" so to speak!

There's no reason why Corsair won't make an accessory for the 750D, or even the 900D... this proposal is more for people who want two systems in one case, or have a scalable, enthusiast spec that would benefit from breathing room with the "Crystal" aesthetic.

• 1 month later...

[DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #1]

As people may no doubt have heard, Corsair launched the HD140 RGB LED Fan earlier this month, as well as the Commander Pro PWM Hub this past week - both items I originally proposed in my 680X pitch.

Though not an employee of Corsair, I am happy the company has taken my advice to heart in building these products, as they will help with the 680X's development. However, I had intended the case to support up to 29 RGB Fans - maybe an apocryphal number ::pirate:: - which, unfortunately, the new Commander Pro they've made would be hard pressed to achieve.

With this in mind, I've decided to bring the number down to a more reasonable 20 RGB fans, which could use the following configuration(s):

• Top:= 6x 120mm / 6x 140mm / 2x 180mm
  • Bottom:= 6x 120mm / 6x 140mm / 2x 180mm
  • Side:= 6x 120mm / 6x 140mm; 3 either side
  • Rear:= 1x 120mm / 1x 140mm
  • Front:= 1x 180mm

This means you would be able to use up to THREE Commander Pro Hubs, each supporting six fans, along with a Lighting Node Pro to handle the remaining front and rear fans and RGB strips. In the updated brief, I've also stated now a single Commander Pro would come out-of-the-box, instead of two.

In the next couple of weeks, I hope to release some draft images of the intended case design.

• Administrators
I am happy the company has taken my advice to heart in building these products
I'm not on that side of the company, but more than likely it's just a coincidence. I believe products take a lot longer than 3 months for items to go from an idea to store shelves.

So, this week is Computex in Taiwan, where multiple manufacturers get to show off some new products they're working on.

Whilst I have been working on my full-size cube case, however, Linus Tips saw this at the show:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

This is the Corsair Slate, a super tower that can hold a whopping 34 fans (or up to four 120mm quadruple-fan radiators), and is also designed for two-system configurations! Now bear in mind it is currently only a concept... but if the company plans to sell THIS, I need to debate on whether to continue designing my 680X idea.

The Slate is probably going to cost as much as Phanteks's own Enthoo Elite, however, which is £800 :o:

After careful consideration, I've decided to continue work on the 680X design.

The "Slate" is a truly impressive concept and I'm sure some people will want it, so I am glad Corsair have been thinking about offering such a massive case. However, by providing both my design of the 680X for £400/$525, as well as the Slate (perhaps called the 900X later) at £650/$800, this would ensure Corsair has a good competitive lineup against other case manufacturers...

Even if they don't make my proposal exactly, the 680X's volume and the number of fans it can hold would offer a great midpoint between the 570X and the Slate.

That Slate is mental, which, coming from a 900 user is quite something. If I could afford it, if I had a bigger desk and if I had that much money lying around spare, I might actually consider it. Of course, I would like to stay married, so probably not.

If I could afford it, if I had a bigger desk and if I had that much money lying around spare, I might actually consider it. Of course, I would like to stay married, so probably not.

Though it was standing on a sideboard at the show, it feels more like something you'd have next to a desk at home or in your office. Maybe a trolley could be sold for the case to sit on...

I think Corsair should put up a thread so users can discuss all the products they featured at Computex 2017.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been otherwise ill the past couple of weeks after an operation, so couldn't continue work on the 680X template...

Now feeling somewhat better I'll be getting back to it, but before I do, I wanted to pitch ideas for a LAPDOG 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rv8ou70e0dfod0/Corsair%20-%20%27%27Lapdog%202%27%27%20Proposal.pdf?dl=0

Although I started writing it a few days ago, this is being posted mere hours after the LAPDOG 1 has gone on sale at half price, so I suspect this probabaly means you may see some of the ideas I've listed in an upcoming product :sunglasse

• 1 year later...

As some may be aware, Corsair launched a new mid-tower case this week they have designated the Crystal 680X. Slightly larger than the Crystal 570X, it doesn't cross all the boxes as a midpoint-chassis between this and the 1000D (which is what my proposal intended), but is a strong competitor to several "dual chamber" cases.

There is always room for improvement, such as HDMI 2.0 and Thunderbolt 3 ports added to the I/O, to better support VR setups. Though difficult to see in the photos, a gap in the case partition, with a small access door in the storage chamber to install a reservoir would be nice as well, as a 360mm radiator in the main case looks to get pretty tight if a PSU shroud is installed...

On the whole, however, it is definitely something I would buy; it is also conceivable there's room for a Commander Pro, if you replace the basic fan hub. I see no reason, therefore, not to close this thread.

Archived