Corsair Community

The new Carbide 678C, a couple of questions

pdegan2814

My first impressions of the 678C are that it looks like a fantastic case to work in, with excellent placement options for large radiators. My only two questions are:

1) Do any drive cages have to be removed to fit the H150i cooler in the front, during either installation or general use?

2) Will there be a non-windowed version? I love how quiet my 600Qs are, and would gladly trade the window for a sound-dampened side panel if I used the 678 in my next build. Will I have to move further down the line to the 275Q if I wanted a more compact option? Yes, I'm that segment of your consumer base that has no desire for tempered glass, RGB lighting everywhere, etc. :)

You might want to watch a few videos on this case first. It's almost completely closed off. Putting a rad in the front would require the door to be left open. And removing the drive cages leaves ugly open holes in the back panel. I'm not sure which is a bigger disappointment, this or the even more ridiculous priced 680X.

[ame]

[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2465.jpg

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2466.jpg

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2467.jpg

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2468.jpg

I just got one and hadnt seen any reviews, but despite being a Corsair fanboy, I have to say I was moderately disappointed in some layout items, all but one of them hardware canucks didnt even mention. Mostly it just took a long time to make the back panel fit over the ssds with a corsair powersupply with the stock plasticy cables...minor nag but even without cable management it still took a few hours to move from my old case with many drives (5 ssds a HD and an optical drive). I top mounted my aio which is a h100iv2.

I cant speak to sound just yet since i think i plugged my pwm in the wrong spot, but aesthetically, the white one matches my new desk and I love it and that alone is pretty nice. the PSU shroud is a huge bonus if you dont have a white PSU and are going for the matching look. It can help hide some of the cables too.

can someone confirm if the fan hub on this carbide case is not able to provide the same degree of finessed control as say a commander pro?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/CORSAIR-LINK/Commander-PRO-%E2%80%94-iCUE-RGB-Lighting-and-Fan-Controller/p/CL-9011110-WW

As i understand it, they allow you to control each fan individually? My case, regardless of where it is plugged into the mobo and what the bios pwm settings are, dont seem to provide fine grain control in cue, but they're just stock fans that came with this case.

can someone confirm if the fan hub on this carbide case is not able to provide the same degree of finessed control as say a commander pro?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/CORSAIR-LINK/Commander-PRO-%E2%80%94-iCUE-RGB-Lighting-and-Fan-Controller/p/CL-9011110-WW

As i understand it, they allow you to control each fan individually? My case, regardless of where it is plugged into the mobo and what the bios pwm settings are, dont seem to provide fine grain control in cue, but they're just stock fans that came with this case.

The fan hub built into the case is simply a PWM repeater. You plug multiple PWM fans into it, then plug IT into a single PWM fan connector on the motherboard. Then when the motherboard sends PWM signals, they get distributed to all of the connected fans, allowing them to speed up or slow down in sync.

• 4 weeks later...
My first impressions of the 678C are that it looks like a fantastic case to work in, with excellent placement options for large radiators. My only two questions are:

1) Do any drive cages have to be removed to fit the H150i cooler in the front, during either installation or general use?

2) Will there be a non-windowed version? I love how quiet my 600Qs are, and would gladly trade the window for a sound-dampened side panel if I used the 678 in my next build. Will I have to move further down the line to the 275Q if I wanted a more compact option? Yes, I'm that segment of your consumer base that has no desire for tempered glass, RGB lighting everywhere, etc. :)

I just built my new PC in this case.

answer to #1 I have a H150i front mounted to the case. Max CPU temp with the front door shut has never gone over 33c-34c max under load. I have the pump and fans set to balanced. I'm running a core i9 9900k. While the front of the case doesn't allow for a ton of air to be drawn in it is pretty open at the bottom to allow a good amount of air to be drawn in from under the bottom front of the door. This hasn't provided any issues with CPU temps etc. However the GPU does tend to get warmer than I like. I added another 120mm fan to the bottom of the case near the front to allow more cool air to be drawn in for the GPU.

Also Yes you will have to remove at least one drive cage at the top to allow for the AIO tubes to have clearance. There are two (2) included drive bay covers to cover the holes from the missing drive bays in the case so there aren't huge holes left from their removal. Unfortunately Corsair only gives you two with the case. They should have included more IMO. I only have three HDD cages in mine and I have an order in with support for more if/when they ever become available.

#2 afaik I haven't seen any news on a non window version. I will say that the case is pretty quiet even when I crank the fans all the way to max. YMMV. Wire management in the case takes work. Plan time to do that because it took a bit of time for me to get it all to "fit" its a bit tight back there but I stuffed an amazing amount of hardware in there and got it all to fit.

One area of note.. I bought a EVGA z390 Dark motherboard. The case says it fits EATX boards (it does) however the PSU cover is notched to allow connection to the motherboard connections but isn't notched nearly long enough and it blocks the USB 2.0 headers on the bottom of the motherboard. (I needed this for my commander pro) i had to get a PCIe card to allow a connection for the commander pro. Kind of a bummer. I may mod the case at some point to allow for better connection to the motherboard ports but i just couldn't bring myself to cut into a brand new case. Also you will need 90 degree adapters for Main board and CPU power connectors if you plan to use this board in this case. it's a tight fit and if you plug in the main board power and CPU power connectors without the 90 degree adapters it puts a lot of strain on the connectors. a Standard ATX motherboard should fit just fine.

newfiend~

• 1 year later...
I just built my new PC in this case.

answer to #1 I have a H150i front mounted to the case. Max CPU temp with the front door shut has never gone over 33c-34c max under load. I have the pump and fans set to balanced. I'm running a core i9 9900k. While the front of the case doesn't allow for a ton of air to be drawn in it is pretty open at the bottom to allow a good amount of air to be drawn in from under the bottom front of the door. This hasn't provided any issues with CPU temps etc. However the GPU does tend to get warmer than I like. I added another 120mm fan to the bottom of the case near the front to allow more cool air to be drawn in for the GPU.

Also Yes you will have to remove at least one drive cage at the top to allow for the AIO tubes to have clearance. There are two (2) included drive bay covers to cover the holes from the missing drive bays in the case so there aren't huge holes left from their removal. Unfortunately Corsair only gives you two with the case. They should have included more IMO. I only have three HDD cages in mine and I have an order in with support for more if/when they ever become available.

#2 afaik I haven't seen any news on a non window version. I will say that the case is pretty quiet even when I crank the fans all the way to max. YMMV. Wire management in the case takes work. Plan time to do that because it took a bit of time for me to get it all to "fit" its a bit tight back there but I stuffed an amazing amount of hardware in there and got it all to fit.

One area of note.. I bought a EVGA z390 Dark motherboard. The case says it fits EATX boards (it does) however the PSU cover is notched to allow connection to the motherboard connections but isn't notched nearly long enough and it blocks the USB 2.0 headers on the bottom of the motherboard. (I needed this for my commander pro) i had to get a PCIe card to allow a connection for the commander pro. Kind of a bummer. I may mod the case at some point to allow for better connection to the motherboard ports but i just couldn't bring myself to cut into a brand new case. Also you will need 90 degree adapters for Main board and CPU power connectors if you plan to use this board in this case. it's a tight fit and if you plug in the main board power and CPU power connectors without the 90 degree adapters it puts a lot of strain on the connectors. a Standard ATX motherboard should fit just fine.

newfiend~

Hi there, hope all is well. Have got few questions, i have the same case and am trying to build a quiet but well cooled case.

So reason ive gone for fan cooling is because im very skeptical of AIO, incase it leaks or bursts and all that..how is yours been doing? and really 35 degree temps on max load?

Also could you post a pic of your 120mm fan under your GPU please as i want to see exactly where you put your one, I want to cool GPU also with a fan.

And what drive bay covers are you talking about to cover HDD holes? could you post pic of that also please

The fan hub built into the case is simply a PWM repeater. You plug multiple PWM fans into it, then plug IT into a single PWM fan connector on the motherboard. Then when the motherboard sends PWM signals, they get distributed to all of the connected fans, allowing them to speed up or slow down in sync.

Hi there, where is this PWM fan connector on the motherboard please?

I have x570 creation motherboard. Could you post a pic for exact location if you can please.

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2465.jpg

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2466.jpg

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2467.jpg

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_2468.jpg

I just got one and hadnt seen any reviews, but despite being a Corsair fanboy, I have to say I was moderately disappointed in some layout items, all but one of them hardware canucks didnt even mention. Mostly it just took a long time to make the back panel fit over the ssds with a corsair powersupply with the stock plasticy cables...minor nag but even without cable management it still took a few hours to move from my old case with many drives (5 ssds a HD and an optical drive). I top mounted my aio which is a h100iv2.

I cant speak to sound just yet since i think i plugged my pwm in the wrong spot, but aesthetically, the white one matches my new desk and I love it and that alone is pretty nice. the PSU shroud is a huge bonus if you dont have a white PSU and are going for the matching look. It can help hide some of the cables too.

Hello, could you tell me what SD card reader is that? that you put in your HDD drive bay please. Thanks