Corsair Community

C1 Pro 1080Ti Out of Box flickers on 85Hz and above

RC_ONE

SOLVED (sort of) See posts below.

Note: When I say "flickering" I mean it blacks out the screen completely for a moment, then comes back, then blacks out again, then is okay for a few seconds, then blacks out completely for a moment...etc

Okay, this is my second Corsair One Pro CS-9000009-US with the same issue. It's NOT in the Lot numbers with the known PCIe cable problem.

With an Acer Z35P 3440 x 1440 120Hz (100hz default) display tested with other 1080 Ti 11GB cards in other PC's, so we know it works and the problem isn't the display.

The Corsair One Pro, out of the box, with no updates, using a DisplayPort connection:

Display set to 120Hz.

PC boots up, syncs with display at 60Hz.

Go into NVidia settings, disable G-Sync.

Set 85 Hz. Flickering

Drops back to 60 Hz

Set 120Hz. Flickering

Drops back to 60Hz

Enable G-Sync

Set 85 Hz. Flickering

Drops back to 60Hz

Set 120Hz. Flickering

Drops back to 60Hz

Let's figure this out...

Suggestions?

Youtube video of the issue. Sorry for the shaky/blurry. The camera has an issue focusing on the curved screen.

You can see what happens when the refresh rate is set to 85 Hz. I allow it to time out back to the previous setting of 60 Hz which is stable.

[ame]

[/ame]

Umm... I might've found the solution.

It's definitely a hardware issue if this is the solution.

In fact, before I say what the solution is, I'm going to unpack the old C1 pro, set it up (meaning it needs the OS reinstalled) and test it.

If this works, I'm a mix of happy and pissed off.

Not sure yet... but have hope. Will let ya know. Stay tuned...

I was able to set up the old C1 Pro sooner than expected by reverting back to the save point I'd made that hadn't yet been erased.

And I've tentatively confirmed the problem.

On BOTH machines, DisplayPort #3 is (the topmost rear video port) bollocks.

While, DisplayPort #2 (the middle rear port) works fine at 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz.

...I got to use the word bollocks. That makes me happy.

The one thing I hadn't tried, was just changing which port the cable was plugged in to. For some reason, I mistakenly thought it had 1 rear DisplayPort and 2 rear HDMI, but it's the other way around. And, in checking the cable itself (again) I noticed the middle port was also a DisplayPort and gave it a shot. And, it works! At 120Hz! On BOTH machines!

...which doesn't change the fact the 2nd external DisplayPort (#3) doesn't offer full refresh rate support. Hrm...that doesn't make me happy. Until I'm given a good reason otherwise, I'm considering this a design defect as it affect two different Corsair One Pro's from very different Lots.

And no one at Corsair even thought to suggest trying a different DisplayPort. Which is one of the reasons why I wanted to go through the steps with Tech Support on the phone in the first place, in case I overlooked something simple, like this. Grr...arg! So much wasted time and frustration....

...and something else occurred to me...

HDMI 2.0 is limited to 60Hz at my display's resolution I think. But that's a limit of the Z35P display itself. It only supports HDMI at 60 Hz, while it supports DisplayPort at higher frequencies.

Are ya'll sure you didn't hook DisplayPort #3 to an HDMI connection internally? That would make a lot of sense based on the problem I've been having.

• Corsair Employee

That is downright bizarre and I appreciate the time you invested in figuring it out. Obviously it wouldn't have occurred to me to try that, otherwise I might have been able to help.

We have a conversion box in the back that actively converts one of the card's DisplayPort outputs to HDMI 2.0, and I'm wondering if there's some kind of interference or what have you over the DisplayPort you used.

I'll file the bug and have this investigated, but we are actually planning on moving to triple DisplayPort in the back on a future revision and ditching the conversion entirely.

That is downright bizarre and I appreciate the time you invested in figuring it out. Obviously it wouldn't have occurred to me to try that, otherwise I might have been able to help.

We have a conversion box in the back that actively converts one of the card's DisplayPort outputs to HDMI 2.0, and I'm wondering if there's some kind of interference or what have you over the DisplayPort you used.

I'll file the bug and have this investigated, but we are actually planning on moving to triple DisplayPort in the back on a future revision and ditching the conversion entirely.

Interesting, and good to know. Please let me know what the result of your investigation is. For the time being, it doesn't resolve the issue, but I'm glad it's being looked in to.

Okay, now that I have a minute to focus on this a bit more it's obvious, to me, what the issue is.

Many high end monitors limit HDMI connections to 60hz (as mine does), and rely on DisplayPort for higher refresh rate support.

If the conversion box is effectively turning the top DisplayPort into a "virtual HDMI 2.0 port" with a physical DisplayPort connection, but the signal is that of an HDMI port, then the monitor will recognize it as an HDMI port, not a DisplayPort and limit the refresh rate to 60Hz on that port, which would result in the screen-blanking I experienced and other video issues when the monitor is capable of a higher refresh rate than 60Hz on the DisplayPort connection and the PC is set to a higher refresh rate than 60Hz, but the Virtualization of that DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 results in the monitor struggling to handle the signal on that DisplayPort when it's expecting a 60Hz HDMI connection, not the higher refresh rate a user would normally set on their Corsair One to match the stated frequency capability of their monitor over a DisplayPort connection.

Which means the Corsair One Pro would effectively only have 1 fully functional DisplayPort, not 2, despite having two physical display port connections. As I understand it, the topmost DisplayPort wouldn't meet the VESA DisplayPort specification due to the HDMI 2.0 conversion on that port.

Corsair One owners, reasonably believing the top DisplayPort works like a normal DisplayPort, not knowing it's really acting like an HDMI port as far as the monitor is concerned, will set their refresh rate via the OS or graphics adapter driver to higher resolutions than the monitor might support on an HDMI connection, because it does support those refresh rates on a true DisplayPort connection, which the top DisplayPort on the Corsair One isn't functioning as.

Does this make sense?

It also means this Knowledge Base article is invalid/requires updating:

https://support.corsair.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41/kw/coresair%20one%20ports ...as does likely current promotion/specification info on distribution channel sites.

As a second followup...

I saw some posts on reddit a couple days ago where Corsair One (Pro?) owners were having problems with their VR HMD's connected to the front "VR" HDMI port.

If the internal connections for the front HDMI port and top rear DisplayPort were switched, this would explain the issues they're having AND separately I'm having.

It may not be the situation, but something to look at in the off chance this is what's going on.

• Corsair Employee

I can look into it. Basically, here's the way the outputs inside Corsair One are supposed to work:

Front HDMI is bridged to the card's HDMI port. This is literally just an extension cable.

The two rear DisplayPorts and the rear HDMI 2.0 port are all connected to the card's three DisplayPorts. Ostensibly, this means you should have two fully functional DisplayPort ports and a single HDMI 2.0 port, since there's only supposed to be active conversion taking place on one of the ports.

I can look into it. Basically, here's the way the outputs inside Corsair One are supposed to work:

Front HDMI is bridged to the card's HDMI port. This is literally just an extension cable.

The two rear DisplayPorts and the rear HDMI 2.0 port are all connected to the card's three DisplayPorts. Ostensibly, this means you should have two fully functional DisplayPort ports and a single HDMI 2.0 port, since there's only supposed to be active conversion taking place on one of the ports.

Ah, then I had misinterpreted your earlier statement, and this ...maybe...changes things?

I'm not concerned about the dedicated external rear bottom or front HDMI ports for the moment.

If all three rear ports are connected to DisplayPort connection internally, then the topmost rear DisplayPort...shouldn't be converting to dedicated HDMI 2.0?

The phrasing between your current response, and a previous response seemingly in conflict now have me a bit befuddled :)

Though, the topmost external rear DisplayPort acting as an HDMI port still does seem to be the observable effect. :thinking:

So the active HDMI conversion should only be taking place on the rear bottommost HDMI port? Not the rear topmost DisplayPort, is this correct? (What it "should" be, which may or may not be what is occurring)

• Corsair Employee
The only active HDMI conversion should be occurring on the rear HDMI 2.0 port. That you're having issues with that top rear DisplayPort going above 60Hz - and had it on two separate systems - is why I've opened up a bug in our bug-tracking system to investigate it.

The only active HDMI conversion should be occurring on the rear HDMI 2.0 port. That you're having issues with that top rear DisplayPort going above 60Hz - and had it on two separate systems - is why I've opened up a bug in our bug-tracking system to investigate it.

Thanks for the clarification, and the follow-up.

• 4 weeks later...
RC ONE, did you fix why your screen is flickering like MAD?

I think my unit is having the same problem..

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=171913

I wrote a thread about it.. I'm still using my old 1080 unit, since I hate my new 1080Ti..

Do let us know..

Hi wseira,

I haven't, no. No fix yet. :(

Questions:

Does your flickering happen only on the TOP Displayport?

Does the flickering happen for you on the middle Displayport too?

Does your flickering happen at 60Hz refresh rate? Or only above 60Hz (85Hz, 100Hz+)?

What resolution is your display?

What monitor (brand, model, resolution, refresh rate) are you using that's flickering?

I saw you have two monitors, does the flickering happen to both of them when you switch the video cable from one to the other?

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting this thread, I just received my C1 pro plus yesterday and spent a long while trying to troubleshoot my cable setup as a potential issue to a near identical experience. This has helped me identify what may be the culprit.

Was there ever a solution provided by Corsair for you?

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for posting this thread, I just received my C1 pro plus yesterday and spent a long while trying to troubleshoot my cable setup as a potential issue to a near identical experience. This has helped me identify what may be the culprit.

Was there ever a solution provided by Corsair for you?

Are you having the exact same issue? What cable, monitor, and type of connection are you using?

Yes, though after a few short/very fast flickers the monitor puts itself to sleep for having no connection found. Only when above 60hz.

I have 3 Dell S2716DGs, two are running Displayport (came with the monitors) and the third is on HDMI. I have interchanged the cables and which port the monitors are connected to, the issue only persists for whichever monitor is connected to the topmost displayport.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my corsair pro 1080ti. Set it up, and I too have occasional flickering of my screen at 120 and 144 Hz refresh, at native resolution of 2560 x 1440. I am using an Asus ROG PG278Q. I have a Cable Matters DisplayPort to DisplayPort. I observed flickering in both top and middle display ports, with and without GSYNC enabled. It seems that it does _not_ happen at 60 Hz. This sucks :( Going to pick up another cable later and see if that is the issue...

lot# 17445107

Just got my corsair pro 1080ti. Set it up, and I too have occasional flickering of my screen at 120 and 144 Hz refresh, at native resolution of 2560 x 1440. I am using an Asus ROG PG278Q. I have a Cable Matters DisplayPort to DisplayPort. I observed flickering in both top and middle display ports, with and without GSYNC enabled. It seems that it does _not_ happen at 60 Hz. This sucks :( Going to pick up another cable later and see if that is the issue...

lot# 17445107

I’ve had intermittent flickering (some severe, like 10 seconds of non stop flicker and sometimes requiring a reboot). This is using a Gsync enabled monitor LG 34UC89G-B ultrawide.

I did the following to address:

1) Bought shorter/new DisplayPort cables. 6ft, 4K and 144hz rated. This helped.

2) Popped off the fan on top and removed/reseated all extension cables to the 1080ti.

Since then, flickering is almost non existent, even after hours of heavy gaming.

I’m currently on top DP port. Had issues with both prior.

• 6 months later...

Is it possible to “reverse” the rear HDMI 2.0 port to the original DisplayPort 1.2 to have three fully compliant functional DIsplayPorts on the CS1 pro plus or elite?

Archived