Corsair Community

Bad module

jraph24

After months of blue screens, I tested every component, wiped hard drives and reinstalled OS and all software, replaced videocard, never suspected it could be the very expensive Corsair XMS TWINX 512mb sticks in the machine. Then I tried every stick of RAM in every slot on the MB. I found this one defective stick of the TWINXs that caused the blue screens everytime, in every slot tested. And found no blue screens with all other sticks of RAM (a pair of Corsair value RAM included!) in any configuration of slots, but with this defective part removed. I'd like to RMA this culprit pair as soon as possible, before I do something to it that I'll regret. My part number is CMTWINX1024-3200C2PT, LOT 30416077-4. My configuration is below. Thank you.

JR

P4 3.2

ABIT IC-7 MAX3

SEAGATE 160GB SATA x 2 (RAID 0)

1024 MB CORSAIR VALUE RAM (2 x 512MB)

1024 MB CORSAIR XMS (2 x 512MB)

PIONEER DVR-108

SONY DRU-510A

eVGA e-GeForce FX 5700LE 256MB

THERMALTAKE 480W BUTTERFLY W0022

• Corsair Employee

You should not mix our Value Select and XMS.

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

You should not mix our Value Select and XMS.

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Per my original post, the MB is ABIT IC-7 MAX3, the CPU is P4 3.2 PRESCOTT 800FSB. I am using the stock settings--haven't touched the BIOS settings or made any performance settings. I am hoping to use the machine for multi-media and not gaming.

Please try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and then test the suspect module with http://www.memtest.org o be sure.

Okay, wierd. I made the Dim Voltage adjustment. Then, running only the "bad" module, I got no blue screens and no errors from memtest. Then running both of the XMS modules in dual channels I also got no blue screens or errors in memtest. So is the problem running the XMS together with the Corsair Value RAM? Can put 4 512mb XMS modules in the ABIT IC-7 Max3--(the MB is supposed to support up to 4gb)?

thanks for your help

• Corsair Employee
I would not suggest mixing our Value Select and XMS together int he same system. But if you do try it I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the timings and frequency manually to DDR400 at Cass 2.5-3-3-7 or Cass 3-4-4-8.

Archived