Corsair Community

2.5 slot GPU in the Obsidian 250D - will it fit?

n900

Hi, I've trawled the web for answers but haven't found any definitive ones.

Does anyone here know if the Obsidian 250D can acomodate a 2.5 slot GPU?

I've found reliable info that 2.2 slot cards fit easily, though no such confirmation for 2.5 slot GPUs.

I'm looking at a good deal on a Palit GTX 1070 Game Rock but I'm worried it's too thick.

Cheers

n900

• 5 months later...

Just to follow up on my original issue - I went with the Palit 1080 GameRock in the end, and it does fit in the 250 D.

However, it is a very tight fit and pulling it off requires some tinkering.

DISCLAIMER: mind that you can potentially damage your cpu/mobo and void warranties in the process. Attempt at your own risk;)

Here's how I did it:

1. Remove the metal bracket at the end of the card.

2. Put the bracket in its place in the case.

3. Insert the card into the pci express slot on your mobo while realigning it with the bracket (this is a nerve-racking moment).

4. Reattach the metal bracket to the GPU board/ backplate.

PRO TIPS:

My mobo sagged like crazy, under the weight of this GPU, so it might be a good idea to support it somehow and take the pressure of your motherboard.

I also had to remove the sliding bit that keeps brackets in place to be able to put the card it. It can be reattached when the card is in place, but some bending with pliers is required.

To sum up, it can be done, but some risk is involved. If you're not super bent on buying this card (or another one of a similar size), go for something slimmer instead.

Will follow up with pictures (when I clean up the mess) if anyone is interested.

Archived