Corsair Community

dead LEDs , how to open case

gmastra

Hi , having always wanted a mechanical keyboard that I could afford, along came the opportunity to buy the K95 ( Non RGB).

Ok its not RGB, but am not into the hypno colours , I just want a keyboard that I can read in a dark room.

Unfortunately the keyboard has quite a few dead leds, Whilst they do not detract from the use of the keyboard ( Just loving typing with it.)

I would like to get it back to its former glory.

Am an electronics engineer so soldering an LED into a PCB is like water off a ducks back. Only trouble I have is getting to the PCB. I don't want to RMA the board. Has anybody tried dismantling the keyboard ?

I think there is a screw under the backside label, but cannot see any more.

Any help appreciated.

Just a note on the LED failures in posts that I have read.

As an engineer I see lots of infant dead parts and LEDs are no exception. It tends to be related to wafer batches which is something that is not a design issue Its a manufacturers issue. Where Corsair could have done more work is in screening the parts. 3mm LEDS are cheap and having the non RGB keyboards means that they will be a lot easier to repair.

Corsair doesn't post any disassembly instructions and prefers RMA, though you're sure you want to repair this yourself. Opening the keyboard voids your two year warranty.

Anyways, I have a project k95 and dissasembled it according to the instructions in this video. You've probably missed the screw underneath the volume wheel. These are plate mounted switches, so replacing the LEDs might be a little more difficult than you'd expect... Though my project board is the RGB variant so I'm not 100% sure what the inside of yours looks like :P Good luck!

Disclaimer to anyone reading this: The following video is not officially provided by Corsair and is community made. Follow the video's instructions at your own risk; you may damage your keyboard. This process will void your warranty and you will not be able to RMA your keyboard if you mess up.

[ame]

[/ame]

Thank you for the reply. I had seen the video , I can probably take the media key out but the screw under the logo is going to be tricky. I will put lots of tape on the shiny aluminium, as I don't want to scratch it.

As for RMAs, How much does it cost, and if as others suggest this is going to be an increasing likelihood, it may be better to bite the bullet at some point.

LEDs cost <£2 for 10 LEDS , so I might wait until I get a few more go down.

Thanks.

Who knows I might do a video.

I think you only pay shipping on your RMA if you decide to go on that route. You could contact Corsair support directly and ask them. Not entirely sure how much shipping costs outside the US though, sorry :( I haven't seen Corsair reject an RMA for dead LEDs unless the user had inflicted some sort of damage to the keyboard.

The logo can bend very easily by the way. My corsair gaming sticker is pretty bent up on my project board... Cheap and fun fix though if you can make custom stickers (or have a friend that can)

Archived