The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Audio

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 09:47 AM

POST ID # = 831274
Thx1137 Reputation: 10

I love the headset but I think boost is necessary. At least those of us in quiet rooms can choose to use boost if necessary.

The first thing the guys on TS said when I used it was "increase your mic volume".

Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 PM

POST ID # = 835848
yandreev Reputation: 10
Default Boosting The Mic Volume

Hey everyone. I decided to just post here what I did to boost my void's mic volume.

First let me say it is crappy customer support (in my opinion) what corsair is doing. So many complaints about the volume of the mic and all they tell you is to move the mic closer. I can lick my mic and still other can't hear me. Someone suggested that they should fix it in a software update and the reply was along the lines of "it would pick up too much noise." As long as some of the noise it picks up is my voice, I'll be happy. They can easily make it an adjustable gain in the software for it to appeal to all of the users and not half, but they can't be bothered since they already have our money.

Rant over.

Anyway since it was obvious corsair can't be bothered to do anything about it, I decided to see what I can do about it.
I opened up my left headphone and desoldered the mic and the speaker from the board. I went ahead and removed the bolts that hold the board in and flipped it over to get to the ICs. There are two resistors that are next to each other next to the pads for the microphone wires. I went ahead and removed one and replaced it with a smaller capacity one and added a tiny cap to filter it out. Now it works like a charm and i don't have to have the microphone in my mouth to be heard by anyone with hearing worse than a bloodhound's.

Unfortunately, this forum won't let me upload a pic without a URL, i can't post anything but I will be happy to send them to anyone who is interested if you pm me.

Keep in mind you'll need a tiny, precise soldering iron to even attempt to do this.

One last complaint is the plastic piece that makes the microphone click when you rotate it wears out so it gets super sloppy. Not really much of a fix for this.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 AM

POST ID # = 839336
baxterfied Reputation: 10

The headset is comfortable and has great audio... the mic volume is terrible. I'm sorry, I've tried everything to fix it and the only way it picks up is with basically the mic being in my mouth.

I'm going to return it. Hopefully three years from now when I go to get a new headset, this will have been addressed.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:10 AM

POST ID # = 839693
TheVakman Reputation: 10

See, it isn't so much the volume that I have an issue with but the quality. It's like static/robotic.

Does anyone have those kind of issues?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 PM
andy2020ukk's PC Specs

POST ID # = 840687
andy2020ukk Reputation: 10

I would rather all the sounds from my street get picked up than nothing at all. Unless it is touching my mouth you can barely hear me

£100 pair of headphones and the mic basically doesn't work and the shutting down constantly with auto shut down ticked or not. I really had high hopes for a Corsair head set that's why I spent the extra on it. Feel almost betrayed now

Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 PM

POST ID # = 841293
EvilTelephone Reputation: 10

I have to agree that even with the microphone bent very close to my mouth, the microphone volume/sensitivity is far too low. I recently purchased the Void RGB wireless headset, and loved nearly everything about it, but had to return it to the retailer because of the terribly low microphone.

I'll check back here on occasion to see if any changes were made on the software side. I'd be interested in re-purchasing the headset if this issue is resolved, but for now it's not usable for me.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:56 PM

POST ID # = 842725
PanCakeV3 Reputation: 10

Hey

These are my settings, but as you can see in teamspeak in normal voice its -15db, which is super annoying :/

Is there any way I can improve this?

Old 03-26-2016, 08:18 PM

POST ID # = 844261
Ananym Reputation: 10

Bending the mic to adequately pick up your voice pretty much guarantees that the infomic leds will be invisible unless you squint.

Great job guys.

Last edited by Ananym; 03-26-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 AM

POST ID # = 846648
Tank420UK Reputation: 10

Just throwing in my 2c.

I find the mic to be unacceptable also.

I can't find a good word to say about this mic.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Power Gamer
Kherr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 848613
Kherr Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelstromOC View Post
The mic is greatly improved if it's sitting basically on my mouth... I find this to be unacceptable honestly.

I don't understand how calling a microphone noise cancelling can be a truth if it's simply so insensitive that it CAN'T pick up any noise to actually cancel out... seems like a bit of a misdirection to me.

I don't understand why they wouldn't add a boost feature or even just increase the sensitivity of the mic as an OPTION to users who would like to use it. Those who don't want to use it can simply choose not to.

I'm hopeful some sort of boost will be added. I got the VOID wireless set as a replacement for my g930 because the g930 has so many issues with crackling audio to me, but the mic was superb. Now with the VOID, the mic is iffy at best, but the audio is superb lol. I feel like I can't win!
This is the exact same situation for me regarding replacing the G930s with these VOIDs. The sound is absolutely amazing, but the microphone couldn't pick up a nuclear bomb going off in the vicinity of my mouth. I find this extremely unacceptable however I'm not going to return these because this is the third headset I've tried in a rapid amount of time, I'm getting tired of switching headsets. So I am going to go look for a piece of software that will force mic boost to be an option, until such a time when Corsair decides to give us Mic Boost settings in CUE.

That being said, I shouldn't have to practically EAT my microphone in order for anyone to hear me. Thankfully, Tom Clancy's The Division has a built in slider for mic boost in the game itself and it works beautifully, unfortunately that's only for The Division. And guess what? Not one person complained about the clack of my mechanical keyboard, and testing myself in-game with my roommate in the other room proved that the noise cancelling was still working beautifully even with Mic Boost set to 50%.

I'm so unbelievably tired of all of these supposed 'gaming' headsets costing upwards of $200 USD and there is always an issue with one part of it - either Audio or Mic Volume/Quality. Always one breaking issue that prevents the headset from being worth anything. Why is it I can buy a crappy $20 table mic from Amazon or eBay and it performs circles around a headset that cost more than 8 times that amount?

I'm just tired of this. Corsair, please - for the love of god, give us a Mic Boost slider in CUE. That's all we need to fix these issues.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM
MrPix's PC Specs

POST ID # = 849186
MrPix Reputation: 10
Default Poor microphone volume regardless

Hi,

I had the H2000 headphones followed by the H2100 headphones, both had a horrible buzz when charging and using the mic. The volume on the mic was very low on both of them too.

My H2100 set has now stopped charging and I'm waiting for an RMA label on that to return it and get it replaced.

Meanwhile I thought I'd try the VOID headset and purchased a set yesterday after my H2100 were pronounced dead... and they arrived today BUT despite already knowing about the bendable boom having had the previous 2 models and setting it to an angle between P3 and P4 in your examples (my head is wider so can't achieve P4), and pumping the gain to 100% in Win 10 sound->recording->properties->etc, the mic volume is still way too low even for comms use, let alone voice attack (which I have retrained under windows speech recognition) because it does not always detect my voice.

Please can I ask politely Corsair.. are you actually going to address this with software? (before you jump to conclusions, yes, software and firmware updated to latest version today) or should I (an avid Corsair fan in general) give up and return the Void set as not fit for purpose and get a more efficiently microphoned set from A.N.Other manufacturer?

Note, I have followed the forum rules within this post, the return/RMA policy for the H2100 (which when replaced will become my backup pair) to the letter, so please do have the courtesy to respond, even if it is with a "we can't fix it with software". I only have 14 days to return the headset if I need to so I'd appreciate a rapid response.

Thank you in advance of your kind and honest response.

Last edited by MrPix; 04-26-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:15 PM

POST ID # = 856958
Dethkake Reputation: 10
Default Void Stereo noise cancelling mic not cancelling

I game in the same room as my husband and when we are in the same party every one says that they can hear an echo from my headset. I have the mic settings on the xbox set all the way down. I was going to try a muffie but i cant seem to find one that fits to see if it will help. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Old 06-09-2016, 05:38 PM

POST ID # = 857326
Exmix Reputation: 10

Any new update on how to fix any of this? Been searching for days and still running into nothing. I'm honestly probably going to return it in a day or two if not.
What makes mine weird is I have no issue with Skype or steam or anything. But Windows itself and any recording software just can't hear me unless the mic is in my mouth and im breaking on it, which frankly is unacceptable.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Hoodling's PC Specs

POST ID # = 859494
Hoodling Reputation: 10

Hi, Corsair. You have failed this customer.

I'll just get right to it and say that I am severely disappointed with the quality of the Microphone on the VOID Wireless headset. The volume is way too low and there is no dB boost option available, as you are well aware.

Please understand this:
Nobody cares that your audiophile geeks in the lab have objections, OK? We need a dB boost to fix this problem, so just give us the option. The suggested solution of moving the microphone closer to the mouth is utter, nonsensical crap. The closer it gets to the mouth (and under the nose), the more "noise" it picks up, because human beings need to breathe. Either way, giving us the "option" doesn't hurt anyone, so get at it.

In my country, we have a policy that allows us 14 days to regret any purchase and receive a full refund, without any limitations, no reason required. If you don't fix this problem within that time frame, you'll be giving me my money back, whether you want to or not.

Last edited by Hoodling; 06-23-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:40 PM

POST ID # = 859668
colesdav Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelstromOC View Post
The mic is greatly improved if it's sitting basically on my mouth... I find this to be unacceptable honestly.

I don't understand how calling a microphone noise cancelling can be a truth if it's simply so insensitive that it CAN'T pick up any noise to actually cancel out... seems like a bit of a misdirection to me.

I don't understand why they wouldn't add a boost feature or even just increase the sensitivity of the mic as an OPTION to users who would like to use it. Those who don't want to use it can simply choose not to.

I'm hopeful some sort of boost will be added. I got the VOID wireless set as a replacement for my g930 because the g930 has so many issues with crackling audio to me, but the mic was superb. Now with the VOID, the mic is iffy at best, but the audio is superb lol. I feel like I can't win!

I have to agree with the above 100%.

I am very impressed with Corsair products in general.
I have an 800D case, a 650D case, Two H100i water coolers. Corsair Commander Mini, Multiple Corsair Fans, Two AX1200i PSU's, a Strafe RGB and K70 keyboard, a mouse mat, an M65 and M65Pro RGB mouse ... and now a Void Wirerless RGB Headset.
I have spent a fair amount of my money on Corsair products as you can see above. I am even thinking of buying your Memory and SSD now because of the Overal Quality of your products.

I really like this lots of features on this Void Wireless RGB Headset. The Build Quality, Comfort Level and fit, the RGB led's look great , Control buttons on the headset. The infomic. Obviously I was impressed as I bought one.

I realise this is a new product, but there are 4 things that really let this headset down in my opinion. This is the first time I have felt I have had to complain about a Corsair product.

(1). My major complaint. The mic is terrible. It is almost completely useless on my headset. I practically have to push the mic onto my lips / eat my mic to get it to work with acceptable volume. Please get some form of software fix to boost the audio pickup. The sound quality of the mic on my headset is awful. I sound like an "airline pilot speaker" when using this mic. Can this be improved using software somehow?

(2). The Wireless USB receiver Stick for the headset has a very bright white LED light which is really annoying when plugged into the USB feedthrough port on my Strafe Keyboard. Is there any way the firmware could be updated so that it is possible to turn the light off?

(3). Is there any way to adjust the left/right audio balance on the VOID headset please? This is really important for users with hearing loss disability in one ear. They need to be able to adjust volume level in one side of headset speaker versus the other. Inability to adjust the volume balance on the headset, means they are effectively single earphone, there is no ability to experience "stereo".

(4). Although I have to update the Firmware on this wireless headset by connecting it via a USB data cable, I am unable to use the USB data cable connection to listen to audio. I am unable to use the Wireless headset with wireless turned off /without using the USB wireless receiver using a USB connection. Why is this? Could this not be fixed with software/firmware update please?

Thanks

Last edited by colesdav; 06-24-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: