Corsair Community

XMS2 PC6400 settings on a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 MB

Add1son

Hi,

I've been running this system (4 x 1GB modules) with no overclock for a little bit more than 3 years. Lately I've been suffering from the good ol' BSOD (0x0000007F). I've searched the error logs, checked the memory with Memtest for almost 24 hours in a row without any findings. Sometimes the system freezes altogether just seconds after boot, never after intensive use. This morning it wouldn't even go past the windows start up logo.

I'm still on the F1 version of the BIOS but then I haven't changed anything in the computer since it was bought (except for a keyboard and a hard drive).

Lately I've been starting to think that my RAM isn't properly tuned in the BIOS and maybe that's the cause of the crash.

At the moment the memory is set in the MIT menu according to SPD and it sets it at 800 Mhz (spec) 5-5-5-18. CPU frequency is at 266x10, host frequency is 333 Mhz.

DDR2 Overvoltage control is at +0.20V as I was told by the store guy when I bought the system.

My questions are:

1. Are the settings right?

2. Could the BSOD be dealt in the BIOS settings?

3. Should I upgrade the BIOS anyway?

Many thanks,

A

• Corsair Employee
I would set the memory frequency to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to +.3 Volts and set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.2 Volts and do not mix the sets. IE One matching set in the right slots for dual channel and then last two modules that match int he remaining two slots.slots.

Archived