Corsair Community

AHCI not working with a Force 60GB

Viskas

When I bought my Corsair Force 60GB 4 months ago I didn't know what AHCI was so I just installed my OS on it and am running it in IDE mode. Sure, it was a lot faster than my mechanical drives but lately I feel that performance is getting lower. Then I read about the whole deal with AHCI. I did a AS SSD benchmark which gave me Read score of 56, write score of 111 and a total score of 199.

Now to the real problem : my motherboard (and the SSD?).

I read the FAQ about enabling AHCI in Win7 by first changing the registry, enabling AHCI in BIOS then letting Win7 installing AHCI drivers and finally restarting the system once more.

Apparently my motherboard seem to have two SATA chips (Intel & Micron?) since there are two different AHCI options in BIOS.

1. Integrated Peripherals -> SATA RAID/AHCI Mode

Options : Disabled | RAID | AHCI

2. Integrated Peripherals -> Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode

Options : IDE | AHCI | RAID/IDE

Setting nr.1 seems to make BIOS skip HDD detection and gives the error:

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E

Copyright Intel...

** This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives **

Please wait. This will take few seconds.

Controller Bus#00, Device#1F, Function#02: 06 Ports, 05 Devices

Port-00: No device detected

(Then I must press the ClearCMOS button to be able to enter BIOS at all)

Setting nr.1 & nr.2 combined gives the same error as above

Setting nr.2 worked a bit better:

A short error message did show up but BIOS ignored it and moved on to Windows booting sequence...where it halted. I did a hard reset and Windows finally managed to finish loading (yet slower than previously). Then Windows did install something called "ATA-channel 0, ATA-channel 1 and Standard Dual Channel PCI-IDE controller". Just to make sure I restarted the computer once more and still it loaded slower than before. Finally logged in I did a new AS SSD Benchmarks but got even lower scores.

I also noticed that some of the "ATA-channels" under System -> Device management -> IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers had a small exclamation mark upon them telling that "The driver didn't successfully load" or something. I still couldnt detect anything about AHCI anywhere. The AS SSD benchmark still displayed that i used my Corsair drive in "ATA-mode".

What is going on here? I did a quick Google search but found no post concerning my mobo + SSD.

Note, i can link AA SSD & Crystal Disk pics if you want. Plus I heard that using these benchmarks is healthy for the drive, so I wont run more tests than the two I just ran.

Archived