Corsair Community

F120 with Ubuntu 10.10 - getting slow read and write speeds

PeterM

Hi, I'm wondering how to improve performance of the ssd using ubuntu. I have the ssd installed on my laptop, its old so I think its running on SATA1 so I don't expect the ssd to reach its optimal performance.

Im new to using ubuntu so not sure what I can use the benchmark it properly. But From what I found out it has 140Mbs read speed and when transferring large files to a different folder of the drive it was monitoring a write speed of 25Mbs estimated 7mins to transfer a 10Gb file. Ran a test using SMART data and it has 832 bad sectors (don't know if that is a serious problem).

The write speed is what I'm most concerned with. Is it simply an issue with SATA1 or has it got something to do with the way its been configured when installing linux ubuntu? Trim support?

Thanks.

Just from those numbers, I'd say that your hardware is SATA Gen 1 (150Mbps - confirmed when I took a quick look around the internet as well). ATTO Disk Bench is the tool of choice for benchmarking an SSD. Problem is, it's a Windows app. You'll have to either boot into Windows or try running it in WINE.

For setting up/checking TRIM - http://askubuntu.com/questions/18903/how-to-enable-trim

Quick question before I forget: Did you setup/partition the drive in Ubuntu's setup program? If you did, I don't think the drive is properly aligned.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I used virtualbox to run xp and tried out Atto, that worked but not sure if results are accurate as it was running on an emulator. Atto results were reaching round 140-155mbs read speed and write speed 60-70mbs. Is that the best write speed I can get from an ssd on sata1?

Didn't know I could check for trim, il be looking into that.

I was following through the ubuntu installation process, had created 115GB partition and the other 5gigs was set up as swap for some reason. I also had what i think was called a master boot record installed. Is there a better way to do it?

thanks.

thanks for that link, I found out that trim was not enabled yet, followed the instructions and it seems to work. Did a atto benchmark again and I see an improvement in the results:ssd2.JPG.65c291b27d6696113c890bfd44897e1b.JPG

read speed has gone up more than I expected, but not much improvement in write speed. Assuming its running on sata gen1 is that the best write speed it can go or should it be 150mbs?

I can't see AHCI in Bios so that might be an issue...

since i enabled automatic trim I tested the ssd a few days later and have now seen the write speed improve to 125-132mbs, here is the results: ssd3.JPG.cf2176dec33577939a19186d3c7bae16.JPG

Assuming that its using sata1 is that the best it can go or should I run parted magic and start again?

Would parted magic and secure erase sort out the bad sectors or is that a hardware issue?

Thanks

From what I found out the laptop model cant go faster than 150mbs. So I'm thinking the results from atto seem to vary as its on an emulator.

This is the results of a benchmark from ubuntu disk utility:Benchmark.JPG.846daddf2831760ff18cb12424e687b2.JPG

It looks like it bottlenecks at 140mbs. This speed on sata1 seems normal to me. It doesn't let me check the write speed though because it has partitions.

when i use atto to check a network folder outside of the emulator but still in the SSD, I'm getting some crazy read speeds, check this out:ssdF.JPG.15c6dd604e118b9fe17cb8413b5cdd41.JPG

I'm not sure how atto on an emulator is getting those results, I hope its not gonna break the ssd...

Nevertheless since I got trim working I see a general improvement in performance. Formatting the laptop is something id rather leave till later, it was hard setting up an OS i never used before.

Thanks for the help

Archived